Zach's Arbitration

Onddeck

I don't get angry at these guys for leaving anymore. For one, it's not like they choose to play for the teams that draft them...if they really don't want to play for that team, they either have to hold out until that team's rights to him expire, or try to force a trade. I know the system has to be that way...the draft is necessary, but I can't hold it against players if they later choose to exercise their rights to go sign with another team. And let's face it, as far as sex factor goes, the Devils are not one of the sexier choices out there...it's not like young future stars everywhere are dreaming about playing NHL hockey in front of less-than-capacity crowds in Newark, no matter how successful the team has been over the last two decades. So I get it if a guy like Parise gets drafted by the Devils, plays here for a while, then decides to exercise his right to play somewhere else that might appeal to him for any number of reasons, both on or off the ice.

Solid point. I dont think most people really understand/take into consideration this.

I would not bet on it and the only time I can remember him negotiating during the season was with Marty. Also, I only think that happened because if I recall correctly, he was his own agent and took a hometown discount, so it was not really much to go back and forth on.

Not sure if you read Marty's book, but he actually did have an agent early on (former NHLer Gilles Lupien), who negotiated his first multi-year contact after the '95 Cup season...it did not go smoothly, with Brodeur holding out, and both sides trying to get every last dollar out of the other. When that contract expired, Lou basically told Marty that he was not going to deal with Lupien again, and said "Do what you want." Marty wanted to remain a Devil, so he negotiated a contract with Lou on his own (think it was for four years at about $4 mil per, not 100% sure), and also wrote it was not nearly as difficult a process as agents would have you believe. He then met with Lupien for lunch and told him what he had done, and asked Lupien how much money he owed him. Lupien took out a pen, wrote something on a napkin, and angrily passed it back to Marty. Marty said that the napkin read "0"...as in Marty owed Lupien nothing. But Lupien was furious with Marty for going behind his back and negotiating his own deal. Marty said he owed Lupien some money, so he paid him off, and was basically done with agents from that point on. And every contract from that point on was never an issue.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Not sure if you read Marty's book, but he actually did have an agent early on (former NHLer Gilles Lupien), who negotiated his first multi-year contact after the '95 Cup season...it did not go smoothly, with Brodeur holding out, and both sides trying to get every last dollar out of the other. When that contract expired, Lou basically told Marty that he was not going to deal with Lupien again, and said "Do what you want." Marty wanted to remain a Devil, so he negotiated a contract with Lou on his own (think it was for four years at about $4 mil per, not 100% sure), and also wrote it was not nearly as difficult a process as agents would have you believe. He then met with Lupien for lunch and told him what he had done, and asked Lupien how much money he owed him. Lupien took out a pen, wrote something on a napkin, and angrily passed it back to Marty. Marty said that the napkin read "0"...as in Marty owed Lupien nothing. But Lupien was furious with Marty for going behind his back and negotiating his own deal. Marty said he owed Lupien some money, so he paid him off, and was basically done with agents from that point on. And every contract from that point on was never an issue.

and THAT is why Marty is the man

I do remember Marty having an agent back then and vaguely remember the deal going down as I was 11 at the time.

I can criticize Marty left and right at the moment, but I cannot criticize his desire to play for the Devils over the years and what he has done in the past.

Lou already said he'd negotiate with Zach's agents quietly during season and resigh him after Jan 1st if they reach a deal ( which is the correct date he can sign after )

Not sure why everyone keeps talking about how Lou won't negotiate mid season. Lou knows how huge signing Zach is, Zach has said he wants to stay in every way, shape and form to endless different media outlets.

If Zach really wants to be a Devil like he keps saying, he'll sign by end of January otherwise we all know what happens in July!

Lou already said he'd negotiate with Zach's agents quietly during season and resigh him after Jan 1st if they reach a deal ( which is the correct date he can sign after )

Not sure why everyone keeps talking about how Lou won't negotiate mid season. Lou knows how huge signing Zach is, Zach has said he wants to stay in every way, shape and form to endless different media outlets.

If Zach really wants to be a Devil like he keps saying, he'll sign by end of January otherwise we all know what happens in July!

My main concern is Zach's agents

Zach might sign a decent deal for both parties (himself / Devils), but I'm sure his agents are gonna sway him to get as much as possible...and that would be in July...and from any team interested

My main concern is Zach's agents

Zach might sign a decent deal for both parties (himself / Devils), but I'm sure his agents are gonna sway him to get as much as possible...and that would be in July...and from any team interested

Sure the more money Zach gets the more money they as his agent get.

it just seems like ive been constantly stressed with this organization for like 3 years straight... no summers off... we're always waiting for something to happen... waiting for kovy to resign... waiting for Lou to fire Maclean... stressing to somehow make the playoffs... stressing to draft Larsson... stressing to resign zach.... then stressing again to resign zach... plus all the injuries

it has been my worst streak as a NJ for sure

Reality hits you hard, bro. We were extremely fortunate to see the team finishing at the top year after year and we were taking making the playoffs for granted. But we're back to what's reality for most fans now: making the playoffs IS a feat. There's only a handful of clubs that finish high every season and their fans can really say they expect nothing less every year. Other than that, most fans HOPE that their teams make the playoffs (or know they're too weak and expect another year of building a good roster). Very few KNOW their club is going to be in. We're back on the ground, among the "hopeful" teams now. The years of comfort are over, especially with our G-spot (OMG, lol) being a big question mark for the next few seasons.

Have to agree about those stressful summers, though. And just when I think things might settle down if Zach re-signs and the goalie situation gets resolved this year, I take a look at capgeek and notice Elias AND Zajac are set to go UFA after 2012/13 (along with Zubrus and Clarkson). :P

Marty dumped his agent and negotiated himself because he realized he would net the same or more dollars not having to pay an agent. He wasn't going to shop himself to another team because he had the commitment of defense first with the Devils. That commitment would allow him to play many games per season and get him many personal goalie records. It all worked out now it is time for him to retire.

I think regardless of whether Lou tries or not, Zach will want to wait until seasons end to make any decisions. With that being said, I would be absolutely shocked if Parise is a Devil next season. I'd love to be wrong, it's just the feeling I get.

unfortunately I agree, I remember how excited guys like Neidermayer, Elias, Gomez were as they were nearing free agency...not because they wanted to leave, but to see the interest (and money) from other teams.

I don't think Zach will make a lateral move, but if a team thats really a contender offers him big bucks...well what would you do

i wonder if parise stay and resign

but money situation

next year were awful - we will need to resign adam, jj, mattias, zubrus, elias, david, tao and fayne will have new contract by the time

it will be such a big problem

Next year? Only Tao and Fayne need new contracts. The rest expire in 2013.

Sykora is giving us much better than expected play. The question really is, can he keep it up throughout the 2nd half of the year? His chemistry with Elias is undeniable, and it seems like they instinctively know where each other is going to be on the ice at all time.

If he keeps it up, and can pot 20+ goals this year, then I can see him playing here 1 more season before calling it a career (especially if he is willing to re-sign for around $750K).

Sykora is giving us much better than expected play. The question really is, can he keep it up throughout the 2nd half of the year? His chemistry with Elias is undeniable, and it seems like they instinctively know where each other is going to be on the ice at all time.

If he keeps it up, and can pot 20+ goals this year, then I can see him playing here 1 more season before calling it a career (especially if he is willing to re-sign for around $750K).

Anyone can play with Elias, he is the only player on the Devils who can make wingers better than they really are.

• Like 1

Many out of towners just can't wait to see Parise as a UFA... it's a bit of a hype machine. It sells newspapers (or magazines). I'm sure that it's 99% hype, though. Parise did sign a 1 year contract with the Devs, after all. From Lou's side, there's a new CBA coming this summer. Granted, the 1 year deal actually gets Parise to the UFA point, but... remember, the team was struggling to deal with it's cap issues this last summer. Lou wasn't in a position to give Zach the kind of contract that he deserves. Parise has said repeatedly that he wants to stay, and sure I wouldn't expect a player to burn his bridges before a contract negotiation, but the body language that he has when interviewed about it is telling. If he was less optimistic, or even eager, to make a point of saying that he wants to stay then I'd be more worried.

That being said, of course there's some worry about loosing him. It'd be silly to completely ignore the possibility that he'll end up walking at the end of the season. I just refuse fly into histrionics about it, is all.

Many out of towners just can't wait to see Parise as a UFA... it's a bit of a hype machine. It sells newspapers (or magazines). I'm sure that it's 99% hype, though. Parise did sign a 1 year contract with the Devs, after all. From Lou's side, there's a new CBA coming this summer. Granted, the 1 year deal actually gets Parise to the UFA point, but... remember, the team was struggling to deal with it's cap issues this last summer. Lou wasn't in a position to give Zach the kind of contract that he deserves. Parise has said repeatedly that he wants to stay, and sure I wouldn't expect a player to burn his bridges before a contract negotiation, but the body language that he has when interviewed about it is telling. If he was less optimistic, or even eager, to make a point of saying that he wants to stay then I'd be more worried.

That being said, of course there's some worry about loosing him. It'd be silly to completely ignore the possibility that he'll end up walking at the end of the season. I just refuse fly into histrionics about it, is all.

LOSING, it's LOSING not LOOSING. No such word as LOOSING. The inflectional ending of -ing in Loose is LOOSENING, but what you wnat is LOSING not LOOSING. Don't take it personal. I'm just sick of people using the made up word "LOOSING".