212 replies to this topic

#161 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

Great game tonight by the Devs. Kovy just firing like a damn howitzer!! Thats how it should be! Nice crowd it looked like on TV tonight. Maybe about 15,700?

I was at last years NYE game definately getting tix for this years game against the fat flightless birds!

It was a sellout man! A lot of empty seats down low but like unknown poster said (I believe in another thread) the owners of those seats were probably in the Fire & Ice lounges... Uppers were packed!

#162 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:13 AM

Alright, we should have scored like 15 times, but this is certainly a step in the right direction.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#163 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

Hey guys, remember when I said I was hoping to see this again? :
Posted Image

wellllllllllll...:
Posted Image

Pominville is wondering what he did in a past life to Marty, because he owns him right now!

Everyone drills Marty after a bad game, but I think he had a good one last night and no one has anything good to say. Hopefully this will be the start of some consistency from him!

#164 Guadana

Guadana

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:14 AM

Everyone drills Marty after a bad game, but I think he had a good one last night and no one has anything good to say. Hopefully this will be the start of some consistency from him!

Your words to God's ears
best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#165 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:27 AM

42 goals combined for Clarkson, Henrique, Sykora, and Zubrus thru 36 games. Don't think any of us saw that coming. That has helped offset Parise's and Kovy's lack of goal-scoring big-time...they've both been scoring more lately, but overall neither player has been where you'd expect them to be at this point in the season. The Devils could very well wind up with two or three players with 30+ goals (if Kovy and Parise continue to shake off their slow starts), and four or five with 20+, if all goes well. Not bad for a team that probably won't even rank in the top half of the league in offense.

Overall, the state of the Devils could be a lot worse. They're not terribly far out of first place in their divison or conference (not saying I expect them to get there, just that it's not like they're miles behind). They lose ugly on occasion, and can be a tough watch, but they're about to turn in their second straight winning month.

Their monthly records to date:

October: 4-4-1
November: 8-6
December: 8-5 (with one left to play)

I fully expect more "WTF?!"-type losses, but they do seem to shake those games off. 20-15-1 isn't bad...if they win four out of their next five, suddenly they're on pace for a 100-point season. Can't complain about that!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 29 December 2011 - 09:57 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#166 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

I found this exchange between Chico and Cangialosi a tad puzzling...

CHICO: "Well, my New Year's resolution is that I'll try to stop being so awesome."
STEVE: "Oh yeah? How do you like your chances?"
CHICO: "It's gonna be tough, man. Gonna be tough."
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#167 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

They played a hell of a lot better than they did on Monday. Lots of positives coming from this game.

And, like CR pointed out, the team's December record looks pretty decent. Consider that the month started with the team mid-way through a four-game skid, and the team is 8-3 since that losing streak ended. Also, three of the last four wins have come in regulation by two or more goals. Very nice little stretch.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#168 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

finally 60 mins of hockey, with no sustained let up. Best Defensive game of the year imo all six of them were solid and won most of the pucks one on one, centers were back and the sabres were blanketed in our end.

elias line +2 ....Vanek line -2 nuff said

marty=Good

#169 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

I had a lot of fun at this game, but for different reasons. N.J. Devil came up to my little boy (3 years old) and high-fived him, signed his N.J. Devil doll, and personally handed him the last T-shirt during the free T-shirt toss. Plus the arena camera guy put him up on the video screen for a few seconds. Add to that the Devils won. I suppose it doesn't get much better ...

#170 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

I had a lot of fun at this game, but for different reasons. N.J. Devil came up to my little boy (3 years old) and high-fived him, signed his N.J. Devil doll, and personally handed him the last T-shirt during the free T-shirt toss. Plus the arena camera guy put him up on the video screen for a few seconds. Add to that the Devils won. I suppose it doesn't get much better ...

Haha nice and yeah I saw that on the jumbrotron.

I still say the Devils mascot is the best in the entire NHL.

#171 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

How is Wyatt these days?

I plan on getting Natalie to at least one game this year...hopefully soon! Wouldn't surprise me if she hugged the NJ Devil on site...she tends to do that when she sees "characters".
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#172 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

It was a sellout man! A lot of empty seats down low but like unknown poster said (I believe in another thread) the owners of those seats were probably in the Fire & Ice lounges... Uppers were packed!

Good to hear!! Yea I read about that in the attendence thread. The Yanks have the same issue with the seats behind homeplate with the club under the granstand.

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#173 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Great win last night. Was really hoping to see Sykie get the hat trick but Marty at the end shooting for the goal.....man that was awesome. I guess he wanted to show that he can score a goal on his own without the help of the other team. :whistling:

Last night is the team I want to see for the rest of the season.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#174 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

Great win last night. Was really hoping to see Sykie get the hat trick but Marty at the end shooting for the goal.....man that was awesome. I guess he wanted to show that he can score a goal on his own without the help of the other team. :whistling:

Last night is the team I want to see for the rest of the season.

You know Marty's done that, right? Of his two career goals, one was all him (against Montreal in the playoffs)...the other one was a "last one to touch the puck" deal (against the Flyers, I believe).

Both of Hextall's goals were all him.

#30 FOREVER!

#175 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

You know Marty's done that, right? Of his two career goals, one was all him (against Montreal in the playoffs)...the other one was a "last one to touch the puck" deal (against the Flyers, I believe).

Both of Hextall's goals were all him.

Ofcourse I know Marty has done it before. Im just saying he wanted to prove a point after Ward did it the game before.

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#176 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

Ofcourse I know Marty has done it before. Im just saying he wanted to prove a point after Ward did it the game before.

I thought so...just checking ;)

#30 FOREVER!

#177 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

I thought so...just checking ;)

:cheers:

Can anyone explain to me why Kovy consistently takes the puck off other Devils sticks rather then letting them bring it into the zone? Last night he did it to Henrique.

Edited by Quinn01, 29 December 2011 - 12:15 PM.

Posted Image

#178 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,038 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

That was one of the oddest two on ones ever. Instead of skating away from Henrique and the defender Kovy went towards them and killed the play.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#179 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

That was one of the oddest two on ones ever. Instead of skating away from Henrique and the defender Kovy went towards them and killed the play.

Ok as long as Im not the only one that had no idea what the hell he was thinking. Is it a trust thing?

Posted Image

#180 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

I think Kovy wanted a drop pass and have Henrique drive the net as a screen and to take the defender with him. Instead Henrique slowed up to try and give Kovy a chance to catch up to the play and go far side. Just 2 guys on different pages there.

Edited by Devils731, 29 December 2011 - 12:27 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users