27 replies to this topic

#1 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,887 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

(Cross-posted from Driving Play, figured it's relevant here)

Plus/Minus is often maligned by fancy stats types as not descriptive - it doesn't take into account the quality of competition or teammates. It doesn't acknowledge whether your team's goaltending is great, horrible, or somewhere in between. There's yet another reason why it's dumb - it describes game states that are not entirely relevant.

I took for my example the Devils. We all know they are having quite a bizarre season so far - 8-1 in shootouts, their record in regulation is a mere 10-15, but right now they're holding on to a playoff spot. More strange is their special teams play - they've scored a mere 17 power play goals, while allowing a whopping total of 11 short handed goals. Yet while shorthanded, they've only allowed 10 goals and have scored 7 short handed goals themselves. In addition, they've allowed 4 empty net goals and have scored none at even strength. All this has made the team plus minus even more useless than it already is, since as we know, plus/minus includes short handed and empty net goals.

Let's just look at the forwards' plus minus:

Posted Image

Looks pretty bad, right? But when we take out short handed goals for and against as well as empty net goals, it looks a lot different:

Posted Image

We see a lot of pluses where there were minuses before. If we were using +/- to talk about even strength play on the Devils, most players have a radically different even strength +/-. We might erroneously think that Ilya Kovalchuk is having a horrible season at even strength, but he's merely been average-ish. What are we even looking to describe when we talk about +/-?

Conclusion: Plus/Minus is stupid. Again.

Edited to fix tables

Edited by Triumph, 30 December 2011 - 11:21 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#2 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

Yeah that's a good topic tri. As bad as people think kovys d has been, he's actually been fairly average ES, which came as a surprise to me.

Edited by SMantzas, 30 December 2011 - 11:24 AM.

#3 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,648 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

I don't think plus minus is stupid, just misleading at times. You really can only compare guys on the same team. But I don't get why you think SH goals shouldn't count against plus minus. Empty net goals, I agree on.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 30 December 2011 - 11:30 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#4 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,739 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

+/- is just one of many measures of a players performance and is of more use to compare players on the same team not team to team.
The Devils' current +/- is a fairly accurate description of the quality of play from each player relative to other Devils.

T, by your own admission "We all know they are having quite a bizarre season"
Which means stats, including +/- are going to deviate from what you see typically. You should not use an anomaly as an example to make your argument. Do the same analysis for say 10 teams and I'll bet your "difference" column won't look so off.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

Our best players need to be our best players...

#5 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

I don't think plus minus is stupid, just misleading at times. You really can only compare guys on the same team. But I don't get why you think SH goals shouldn't count against plus minus. Empty net goals, I agree on.

+/- is usually used to talk about how good a guy is overall defensively and offensively, combined into one number. The problem is that when a guy is on the PP he can only have his +/- hurt, since he can never get a + and can only get a -. The PK guys benefit from this, they can only positively get a + and can never get a -. So, if you're wanting to look at +/-, it's better to look at just the even strength situations because it doesn't punish players who only play PP or reward players that only play PK.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#6 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,887 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

+/- is usually used to talk about how good a guy is overall defensively and offensively, combined into one number. The problem is that when a guy is on the PP he can only have his +/- hurt, since he can never get a + and can only get a -. The PK guys benefit from this, they can only positively get a + and can never get a -. So, if you're wanting to look at +/-, it's better to look at just the even strength situations because it doesn't punish players who only play PP or reward players that only play PK.

This. Players have control over how good they are defensively, but they don't have control over their usage. That's the central problem with +/- - how a coach uses a player seriously affects his potential +/-. Kovalchuk typically plays 2 minutes of a power play and up until this year has been used sparingly on the penalty kill, plus he is almost assuredly out for all of his team's empty net situations, whereas he might not be used when his team is up by 1 or 2 late.

Kovalchuk ES +/- by year:

2007-08: -11
2008-09: -7
2009-10: +14
2010-11: -18
2011-12: -1

msweet: I haven't talked about save percentage both for and against and how little control players have over that. I agree that other teams won't look so strange.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#7 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

IDNKT!!! thanks Tri! I always thought +/- was an even strength stat it would make more sense to publish only ES +/- is there a database that keeps ES =/- numbers?

#8 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

I wouldn't call it dumb, it just doesn't tell the whole story. But shorties should count. Empty-netters, probably not.

#9 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,178 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

It's dumb only if you don't understand it.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#10 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

sure he's benefiting for his teammates and roles on the team but sykora was such a great find this season considering the cap hit...was pretty skeptical in the beginning but love him being back and contributing
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#11 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

It's dumb only if you don't understand it.

I'm pretty sure Triumph understands it along with how stupid it is. Even still, it doesn't take into consideration zone starts or quality of competition.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#12 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

+/- is just one of many measures of a players performance and is of more use to compare players on the same team not team to team.
The Devils' current +/- is a fairly accurate description of the quality of play from each player relative to other Devils.

This. +/- Lets you get a better look at who is doing what on the team. Of course, like many of the other main stats, it is general and not necessarily conclusive of anything.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#13 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

Giving up so many shorties is what's stupid! Holy sh!t what a difference!!

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#14 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

+/- is a silly stat... but so are pretty much every other stat in hockey. Hockey has got to be the worst sport for anyone to attempt to model statistically. The free flowing aspect of the game, the fact that there are goaltenders, and just the general lack of imposed structure to the game make meaningful statistical models of the game nearly impossible.

The worst thing about +/- is that it provides 0 predictability. A guy who has the best +/- stat in the league one year can be on the bottom of the league the next. At least with the goals stat (and, to a lesser extent, the assists stat), we can shuffle players into certain categories (in terms of things like: "this guy is a 20+ goal scorer").

Now it's time to aggravate the people on the other side of the debate though: I have yet to see any "advanced" (hockey) stats which are significantly better than the standard goals, assists, points, PIM line. Corsi and Fenwick, two of the current fads in the hockey world, suffer from problems with their construction, don't correlate well, and similar to +/- they have problems with the fact that they just don't tell you much in terms of predictions. Their better than nothing I guess, but just barely.

#15 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,739 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:14 AM

FWIW Scott Stevens was + for every year of his career Posted Image
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

Our best players need to be our best players...

#16 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

I just love the way Tri sees the game of hockey itself, and can break these things down.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#17 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

Like any stat, it can be misinterpreted. Rarely can a stat looked at in a vacuum and have it tell an accurate story. Does GAA tell the whole story? No but it is one of the best we have to evaluate a goalie's performance.

Tri makes a valid point regarding the +/- of certain devils this year but I don't think it invalidates the entire stat.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#18 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

in the buffalo game elias' +2 and vaneks -2 told the story farly well!!!!!!

#19 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

Conclusion: Plus/Minus is stupid. Again.

+1
Posted Image

#20 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

kovalchuk got a +1 for his penalty shot....
Devils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users