62 replies to this topic

#1 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

Here's something that I've wanted to talk about in it's own thread for a while.
Steve Cangialosi is a bad play-by-play announcer. It's not even worth using a bunch of adjectives about him being bad, the fact is that he's just not a good play-by-play guy.

Granted, we've been really spoiled with Doc for years now. Partially because of that, I figured that I'd give the guy a shot; I've been trying to avoid passing judgement on him prematurely.

Other than the fact that I'm just not thrilled at having to listen to his voice (which is OK, in small doses), I think the main problem is that he just tries to get into too much detail during the call. That, plus him and Chico are just a bad combination because they get each other off track with side stories and whatnot.

Steve was an OK host/reporter. If it were up to me, I think that I'd swap him and Deb Placey.

#2 ironsights

ironsights

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

I don't care for his commentating. It seems like he doesn't know who's on our team. He's always mixing the players up. Never really seems to know who plays with who, or who is on the ice.

#3 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

Shut up he's fine creepy face guy.

Edited by Blown01NJ, 03 January 2012 - 01:46 AM.

-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#4 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

This has needed a thread. He has been great and has clearly learned a lot from Doc. One of the unspoken about positives from this year.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#5 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:06 AM

The makeup Cangialosi wears exceeds the word sickening...

With that being said, advising that Deb Placey takes his place is almost idiotic.

She is a sideline reporter because people tell her what to say. if you think she can jump in the booth and talk the entire game on how she sees it, you're out of your mind

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#6 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

I like him.

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#7 centralnj

centralnj

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:59 AM

He's horrendous. I don't enjoy the games on TV nearly as much with him. I actually count how many times he says "sharp angle shot" when it's not. Also "jarred" the puck is his new one.

He doesn't give any information about penalties, and for some reason seems confused when one is called. Never knows which team it's on. "We'll sort it out" when we return. Hey Steve, it's on the team that has the puck when the whistle is blown.
And don't even get me started on his goal calls. Fake excitement. Hate it.

I never knew how he got the backup job to Doc, so I'm amazed the job is his now. Oh, and a face for radio for sure!

#8 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

I think Steve does a good job and I'm glad Doc was replaced in-house. And if you are talking fake excitement, that's Gary Thorne's middle name. I also think he'll get better with experience. I think when Steve stops calling pbp, that's when Chico should be chiming in with the details/analysis. I do agree that they both seem confused when penalties are called.

#9 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

We're definitely spoiled. Watching other teams' feeds on GCL, it's obvious how bad most play-by-play guys across the league are. Cangialosi is better than most, IMO.

On the subject of our commentators, I noticed something cool the other night. I tuned into a Canadiens Cup-clincher against Boston from the mid-70s the other night just to see Robinson, Lemaire, Dryden & Co. in action, and heard a familiar voice. It was Chico! After some Googling, I found that back in his playing days, Chico would jump in the booth after his team was knocked out of the playoffs. Unreal. The man's been at it for 35 or so years. And, as quirky and homer-fied as he is, he's another underappreciated part of our broadcast.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#10 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:11 AM

He misses sh!t all the time that is so obvious. Can't say how often he is wrong, but it's a lot.
My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#11 centralnj

centralnj

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

As much as I can't stand Steve , I adore Chico. Just a great genuine person and it comes through on TV. Quirky yes, but I love him.
He and Doc were a great team.

#12 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

Deb Placey? Are you on crack? I mean, really?

Steve has been fine considering who he has to replace.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#13 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

On the subject of our commentators, I noticed something cool the other night. I tuned into a Canadiens Cup-clincher against Boston from the mid-70s the other night just to see Robinson, Lemaire, Dryden & Co. in action, and heard a familiar voice. It was Chico!

"Ya know, just this morning, I was talking to [Robinson/Lemaire/Dryden] and he said he wanted to [play a solid shut-down game/score a huge goal/make a key save] and, by golly, he's done it! Good for him!"
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#14 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

This thread is very silly. Honestly when you come right after a guy who is known as possibly being the best at that profession, of course you will have huge shoes to fill. Steve has been a decent replacement and every game he gets a little better. If you think he is annoying do you remember how doc sounded like when he first took over the pbp for the devils? His voice was so nasally that listening to games at times was unbearable but over time he toned it down a bit and became the best there is.

Have you heard some of the other announcers in the league as well? We are lucky to even have a replacement like Steve who doesn't resort to dumb gimmicky phrases like the guy down in Florida or is a complete homer like the guys in Pittsburgh.

Deb placey is nothing special. Only difference between her and the blonde last season is that she can read her notes that she puts on the table in front of her and daneyko in sharpie better. I cant stand the fact that she talks out of the side of her mouth and when she is talking while along the boards she cant seem to stay still.

#15 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

Not as bad as I first though although he would be better if he was an actual fan of the team IMO.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#16 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

Not as bad as I first though although he would be better if he was an actual fan of the team IMO.

Do you think Doc grew up a Devils fan? I think just over the years the Devils grew on him and just became part of the family after all those years.

Also remember he was the pbp guy for the Flyers back in the late 80's-early 90's as well.

#17 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

He's listenable.. kind of.

He has that morning radio DJ host voice which i loath... he he just toned down the whole "wacky steve in the morning" radio voice he'd be better.
Posted Image

#18 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Steve is fine, and I have adjusted to the new standard of our PBP. I still listen to the Devils feed every game, and when I do switch over to our opponents to see how they are covering a controversal call/goal... I almost always want to swithc back immediately...

Steve is not Doc, but I can assure you, no one else is either.
I like Steve a lot more than Matt Loughlin too.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#19 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Steve is fine, and I have adjusted to the new standard of our PBP. I still listen to the Devils feed every game, and when I do switch over to our opponents to see how they are covering a controversal call/goal... I almost always want to swithc back immediately...

Steve is not Doc, but I can assure you, no one else is either.
I like Steve a lot more than Matt Loughlin too.

+1 This.

#20 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Also remember he was the pbp guy for the Flyers back in the late 80's-early 90's as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOEtBU--2RI
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users