355 replies to this topic

#221 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

It's not the worst (not with Moose anyway)...there's a lot of hideous goaltending numbers right now. Tampa, Anaheim, Carolina, Columbus, etc.

It's amazing how quick we are to blame the goalies and we don't want to blame the D, which is awful (especially without Volch and Greene). I guess it's easier to blame an old guy than a kid.

Yeah one or two of the third period goals should have been stopped but that's called not competing. Marty was fine when it was actually a game, when Tallinder and Larsson weren't making mongloid mistakes. Marty's been victimized by the D just as much as he's victimized them if not more but Marty's the only one that seems to ever get blame.

The D gets plenty of blame around here, so I don't think it's fair to say that Brodeur and Hedberg get all the blame. Regardless, I think it's fair to say that in most games, our goalies give up at least one bad goal, and that IS on them, and has nothing to do with the D. Last game against Ottawa was a perfect example of a bad goal which ended up costing us the game. There have been many others this season.

As for the defense itself, you are also selling it short. Yes, we have had our fair share of giveaways and horrible positioning. But if you look at the numbers, we don't give up many scoring chances, so I'm not sure how much blame you can really put there.

#222 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

the pk was nuts, we gave 1 up and im not using it as a positive but it was inspiring, thats all, they dont even get momentum from the pk and we just showed everyone why the best pk doesnt mean sh1t. vs. 5 on 5

I thought they they finished off the second period strong, and that was mostly due to a bump from effectively killing off the penalty.
...then both teams went into the locker rooms, and that evaporated (obviously).

#223 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

Wow I can't wait to find the post where I said the Devils would lose 6-1 and everyone told me to calm down. This team is going no where. Easy to tell now.

Seriously, just shut your fvcking trap. Not just you, and I'm sorry you had to be the scapegoat for this one, but the whole collective group of butt-hurt fans who act like they're entitled to see the Devils clean the schedule in first place and waltz to a fvcking stanley cup... as if the Devils were doing you some personal injustice by losing this game.

It's a game in January against the best team in the conference and we got our butts handed to us. It happens. But all of these stupid fvcking fans who think that just because we won 3 cups in 9 years almost TWO DECADES ago, we're going to skip our way to the playoffs with a division crown and home ice advantage, need a fvcking reality check. Go look at our fvcking roster, we have talent to COMPETE, but we have a blue-line dominated by kids who are BOUND to have bad games, erratic-at-best stars and a top 6 that changes every fvcking night. Our goalie uses fvcking rogaine, our coach has barely been in place for 6 fvcking months, our superstar goes from Wayne Van Dorp to Wayne Gretzky and back every fvcking night, and our 'sniper' has a daughter that's old enough to sleep with legally... we are not going to dominate like we used to and that's just a simple fact.

Accept it that this team is a playoff contender, accept it that we won't dominate teams with any consistancy, ENJOY the fvcking season because you LOVE the team you root for, or go the hell away.

Edited by Martyisth3b3st, 04 January 2012 - 10:30 PM.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#224 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

The D gets plenty of blame around here, so I don't think it's fair to say that Brodeur and Hedberg get all the blame. Regardless, I think it's fair to say that in most games, our goalies give up at least one bad goal, and that IS on them, and has nothing to do with the D. Last game against Ottawa was a perfect example of a bad goal which ended up costing us the game. There have been many others this season.

As for the defense itself, you are also selling it short. Yes, we have had our fair share of giveaways and horrible positioning. But if you look at the numbers, we don't give up many scoring chances, so I'm not sure how much blame you can really put there.

That bad goal may or may not have been deflected by Taormina the other night...and who cares about a bad goal at 5-1 tonight? Marty also bailed Larsson out on a breakaway seconds before the non-shorthanded goal earlier in the game. People blame Marty because they don't want to face the fact the entire team's just as spotty, so it's easier to blame the one guy.

Our goalie uses fvcking rogaine

Okay that made me laugh :lol: Marty uses rogaine and eats pizza.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 04 January 2012 - 10:31 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#225 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

That bad goal may or may not have been deflected by Taormina the other night...and who cares about a bad goal at 5-1 tonight? Marty also bailed Larsson out on a breakaway seconds before the non-shorthanded goal earlier in the game. People blame Marty because they don't want to face the fact the entire team's just as spotty, so it's easier to blame the one guy.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. 1 or 2 bad goals tonight obviously mean nothing. But in the grand scheme of things, we can't go anywhere with goalies who reliably let up bad goals on most nights. It may or may not have cost us the game on Monday, but it should never get to that in the first place. Again, every goalie lets in bad goals - it's part of the game. But when your goalies do so consistently, it makes it very hard to get into a rhythm, a winning streak, a playoff appearance, and most of all winning a Stanley Cup. And that's exactly my point - no matter how much this team gets healthy, no matter how much it continues to grasp DeBoer's system, no matter how much better Larsson and the D get, we simply have no chance this year with the current state of our goalies, unless Brodeur suddenly goes back in time a few years and puts up a good run.

Edited by Amberite, 04 January 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#226 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Seriously, just shut your fvcking trap. Not just you, and I'm sorry you had to be the scapegoat for this one, but the whole collective group of butt-hurt fans who act like they're entitled to see the Devils clean the schedule in first place and waltz to a fvcking stanley cup... as if the Devils were doing you some personal injustice by losing this game.

It's a game in January against the best team in the conference and we got our butts handed to us. It happens. But all of these stupid fvcking fans who think that just because we won 3 cups in 9 years almost TWO DECADES ago, we're going to skip our way to the playoffs with a division crown and home ice advantage, need a fvcking reality check. Go look at our fvcking roster, we have talent to COMPETE, but we have a blue-line dominated by kids who are BOUND to have bad games, erratic-at-best stars and a top 6 that changes every fvcking night. Our goalie uses fvcking rogaine, our coach has barely been in place for 6 fvcking months, our superstar goes from Wayne Van Dorp to Wayne Gretzky and back every fvcking night, and our 'sniper' has a daughter that's old enough to sleep with legally... we are not going to dominate like we used to and that's just a simple fact.

Accept it that this team is a playoff contender, accept it that we won't dominate teams with any consistancy, ENJOY the fvcking season because you LOVE the team you root for, or go the hell away.

amen. I feel exactly the same, minus the vulgar language.. We saw a great team play tonight..it was not ours. I can say I our D is young and so on.. but no excuse for our forwards..

#227 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,908 posts

Love it. Great post bro.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#228 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

amen. I feel exactly the same, minus the vulgar language.. We saw a great team play tonight..it was not ours. I can say I our D is young and so on.. but no excuse for our forwards..

#229 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

It also kinda sucked see Lou's face on the screen and the lost expression. That was not good.

That struck me as a frustrated look, and considering what (if anything) to do now...
There are some moves that could be made immediately for a reasonable price, I'm sure. That being said, the prospects that the Devils have now are all fairly average, and they're getting somewhat thin (comparatively). The fan in me wants to see him go for a deal to get a reasonably priced impact rental player, but I don't have any problem with standing pat either. The team can be better next season, and I still believe we'll make the playoffs (where anything can happen).

This season reminds me of how it was in the late '80s. Good, not great team, very competitive. It can be really fun to be the underdog, you've just gotta embrace it.

#230 Parisalchuk

Parisalchuk

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

Amen brotha :koolaid:

#231 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

People blame Marty because they don't want to face the fact the entire team's just as spotty, so it's easier to blame the one guy.

And his age makes him an easy target.

#232 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

I went out to the bar in NY to watch this one.....the rags fans had a great night
I dont see anyone here calling out Tallywacker (Tallinder).....he friggen sucked tonight (again)
and Lou's face at the end...oh well what can he do

#233 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

You're not understanding what I'm saying. 1 or 2 bad goals tonight obviously mean nothing. But in the grand scheme of things, we can't go anywhere with goalies who reliably let up bad goals on most nights. It may or may not have cost us the game on Monday, but it should never get to that in the first place. Again, every goalie lets in bad goals - it's part of the game. But when your goalies do so consistently, it makes it very hard to get into a rhythm, a winning streak, a playoff appearance, and most of all winning a Stanley Cup. And that's exactly my point - no matter how much this team gets healthy, no matter how much it continues to grasp DeBoer's system, no matter how much better Larsson and the D get, we simply have no chance this year with the current state of our goalies, unless Brodeur suddenly goes back in time a few years and puts up a good run.

It's also hard to win consistently when you have D that make multiple first-grade mistakes every game and forwards that are retarded on the power play and not only fail to score but give up at least one SH breakaway a night.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 04 January 2012 - 10:43 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#234 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

I think it is time to break up the top line. When Zajac is healthy we have the talent to role 3 very solid lines. If Zajac is healthy enough, I think he needs to be put with Parise or Kovy with Henrique centering the other one. This top line just doesn't work together. Kovy is trying but this line does not suit his game at all and it hurts Parise's on top of that.

This crappy 4th line has to go too. Eric Boulton is truly awful. We'll soon have the talent to role 4 very solid lines. We have had no need all year for 1, let alone 2, goons in the lineup. Every Cam fight has been staged.

Edited by devilsrule33, 04 January 2012 - 10:49 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#235 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

On the upside David Clarkson is starting to look like one of those forwards from the late 80's early 90's who can score 20+ goals and drop the gloves. Who am I thinking about, I guess like Dale Hunter or someone like that. That's rare nowadays.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#236 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

marty is at fault for some shady goals, but if he had a good d in front of him we wouldn't bring this uP.

Edited by pumpkin cutter, 04 January 2012 - 10:45 PM.

#237 trailblazer

trailblazer

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

Wait....who has a daughter of legal age?
LOL

#238 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

I dont see anyone here calling out Tallywacker (Tallinder).....he friggen sucked tonight (again)

Tallinder was called out earlier in the thread. I'm still not convinced that he did anything wrong. That was a standard pass for a defenseman.
Bad penalty though, but that's what happens when you're team is outplayed.

#239 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

+1

This guy (ScoreMorethan3) sounds like a troll or that Avery guy with a new username. He just joined recently and has been posting garbage ever since.Should be added to ignore.

Edited by Anhkheg, 04 January 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#240 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

I think it is time to break up the top line. When Zajac is healthy we have the talent to role 3 very solid lines. If Zajac is healthy enough, I think he needs to be put with Parise or Kovy with Henrique centering the other one. This top line just doesn't work together. Kovy is trying but this line does not suit his game at all and it hurts Parise's on top of that.

This crappy 4th line has to go too. Eric Boulton is truly awful. We'll soon have the talent to role 4 very solid lines. We have had no need all year for 1 let alone 2 goons in the lineup. Every Cam fight has been staged.

I tend to agree, especially about the 4th line. Shuffle the guys around some and create 4 skating lines. The heck with the whole "energy line" thing. They're just terrible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users