355 replies to this topic

#301 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Its not the bad passes I am worried about, its the turn overs. It didnt have just a few times also. Maybe its because I am watching him intently but it just seems like every time there is a turn over I can honestly say out loud, I bet Kovy had something to do with that, and usually I am correct. His frustration is starting to show also. After giving up the puck he slaps the stick on the ice frequently also. Im not saying he isnt playing with fire/heart its just frustrating to see him at his level make mistakes on a regular basis.

frustrating, I'll buy that! you definetly have to take the good with the bad in kovys case. he has his warts and plays on the edge. but he was forechecking last night and helped keep zone pressure a good number of times. there were very few bright spots last night. that was the bruins first game in 5 nights and they were ready to roll

#302 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Its not the bad passes I am worried about, its the turn overs. It didnt have just a few times also. Maybe its because I am watching him intently but it just seems like every time there is a turn over I can honestly say out loud, I bet Kovy had something to do with that, and usually I am correct. His frustration is starting to show also. After giving up the puck he slaps the stick on the ice frequently also. Im not saying he isnt playing with fire/heart its just frustrating to see him at his level make mistakes on a regular basis.

To be fair, the entire team was giving up bad turnover after bad turnover last night. Every single player. Larsson and Tallinder in particular stood out to me as just making brutal decision after brutal decision.

I honestly don't get this mentality...why did the Devils need this?

FWIW, I have heard coaches say they prefer to get blown out than lose close games. In close games, you can say you played well enough to win but got bad bounces. But in a blowout, you get lots of video of what not to do and have a more clearly defined path to improvement.

As long as it doesn't become a habit, a blowout can be a good thing. ("Can" being the operative word.)
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#303 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

To be fair, the entire team was giving up bad turnover after bad turnover last night. Every single player. Larsson and Tallinder in particular stood out to me as just making brutal decision after brutal decision.

Thats true. Larsson didnt have the best game of his NHL career thus far last night. He clearly wasnt happy about his game either, showing him on the bench a few times. Tallinder also didnt have a strong game. The difference is that Larsson is a rookie and Tallinder isnt making 10mil a season. If you are going to be paid that amount of cash, you have to produce and/or not make as many mistakes. Does anyone know if Kovy is having issues off ice or is this just a slump he is in?

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#304 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

FWIW, I have heard coaches say they prefer to get blown out than lose close games. In close games, you can say you played well enough to win but got bad bounces. But in a blowout, you get lots of video of what not to do and have a more clearly defined path to improvement.

As long as it doesn't become a habit, a blowout can be a good thing. ("Can" being the operative word.)

That's a fairer assessment...I just don't like the attitude that the Devils somehow have been sleepwalking and needed this wake-up call. Don't think that's being fair.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#305 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

Anyone notice we finally put Larsson back on the PP and he gives up a breakaway that would have been a SH goal if time didn't expire. He is awful and needs to get sent down.
Devils.

#306 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

Anyone notice we finally put Larsson back on the PP and he gives up a breakaway that would have been a SH goal if time didn't expire. He is awful and needs to get sent down.

As of right now he is all we have. Once Greene comes back I would like to see him sent down for some time and leave Taormina up. His head is spinning out there.

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#307 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

it now seems like ANYONES slap shot or onetimer is getting blocked. its time to start faking the shots and stepping around we get SOOO many blocked shots, and it not just on the PP

and is foster the slowest player in the NHL? or does he just not care to get back. was he always slow or is it the leg break

#308 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

it now seems like ANYONES slap shot or onetimer is getting blocked. its time to start faking the shots and stepping around we get SOOO many blocked shots, and it not just on the PP

and is foster the slowest player in the NHL? or does he just not care to get back. was he always slow or is it the leg break

It's not just that he's slow, he's also got zero lateral movement, hence my nickname 'the statue'.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#309 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

That's a fairer assessment...I just don't like the attitude that the Devils somehow have been sleepwalking and needed this wake-up call. Don't think that's being fair.

Agreed.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#310 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

...[Bunch of complaining about ScoreMoreThan3]...

I like the guy. Especially after his decent reaction to a couple of you guys crapping on him.
He may be a bit over-emotional sometimes, but we're all fans here.

#311 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

I like the guy. Especially after his decent reaction to a couple of you guys crapping on him.

I don't have anything against him personally. But I stand by what I said...I think he grew up in an era of seemingly endless Devils prosperity, and is not basing his expectations on reality. I responded as such.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#312 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

Agree, I have no problems with venting. Its a messageboard! You should hear what I'm saying about my NY Jets on that board LOL

as long as we realize players are humans, and need to be treated with some sort of respect just like any other person

#313 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

As of right now he is all we have. Once Greene comes back I would like to see him sent down for some time and leave Taormina up. His head is spinning out there.

My sense is that this sort of thing comes from bias. We're all watching the kid, since he was a #4 pick, and then there is the fact that he's a 19 year old kid... I just wonder, at this point, what good could putting him in the AHL would realistically do? I don't see any skill work he needs tutoring on, or anything like that. A demotion now seems more like some sort of punishment than anyting else.

I don't have anything against him personally. But I stand by what I said...I think he grew up in an era of seemingly endless Devils prosperity, and is not basing his expectations on reality. I responded as such.

He's not the only one. They'll get over it.
I kinda like being (back) in this position, but it's certainly not what most Devils fans these days are used to. Like I said way earlier in the thread, this reminds me of the late 80's. Ahhh, memories. :)

#314 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

My sense is that this sort of thing comes from bias. We're all watching the kid, since he was a #4 pick, and then there is the fact that he's a 19 year old kid... I just wonder, at this point, what good could putting him in the AHL would realistically do? I don't see any skill work he needs tutoring on, or anything like that. A demotion now seems more like some sort of punishment than anyting else.

That may be true but how long do you go? He is raw. We all figured he would be because that comes with the whole draft straight into the line up thing. He needs some work. He was strong at the beginning and then slowly starting making more and more mistakes. Now it seems he makes more mistakes then he does brilliant plays. Its a tough call. Whatever would make him become a more well rounded player and more confident and comfortable is the way that needs to be taken, whether that is holding on and letting him learn the hard way or letting him spend some time down in Albany.

Posted Image

#315 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

That may be true but how long do you go? He is raw. We all figured he would be because that comes with the whole draft straight into the line up thing. He needs some work. He was strong at the beginning and then slowly starting making more and more mistakes. Now it seems he makes more mistakes then he does brilliant plays. Its a tough call. Whatever would make him become a more well rounded player and more confident and comfortable is the way that needs to be taken, whether that is holding on and letting him learn the hard way or letting him spend some time down in Albany.

I'd do a tyler myers on him first, have him sit up in the box for a few games with a coach or ex-vet D-man and have him watch the situations unfold from a comfy seat. I think thats a good strategy for a young kid

#316 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

He's not the only one. They'll get over it.
I kinda like being (back) in this position, but it's certainly not what most Devils fans these days are used to. Like I said way earlier in the thread, this reminds me of the late 80's. Ahhh, memories. :)

It's all a cycle...the Devils weren't going to stay at the top of the heap forever. They had a hell of a run, regardless of the recent playoff struggles.

There was something a little more compelling about the late 80s teams...I think part of it is because, back then, just finishing with respectable records was an achievement in itself...especially since the franchise had never done that before (it took the franchise three cities and 14 years just to finish two games over .500). I remember looking at the standings and seeing the teams with 45-55 wins, and wondering what it would be like to have a team with a record like THAT. That's part of what made '93-'94 so much fun, in that the Devils FINALLY became one of THOSE teams.

I don't think they're on the cusp of multiple lousy years in the order of the Scouts/Rockies/early Devils...those teams often had no hope and no chance. There's already bright spots, and it won't be long before the last of the staples we've been so used to seeing year after year (Elias and Brodeur) will be gone, so this will truly be someone else's team before long...who will that be? It's an exciting question for sure.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 05 January 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#317 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

I don't like the "you must be a young fan" stereotype. I'm only 21. Obviously, I've grown up with nothing but the Devils winning. That doesn't mean I am an idiot who feels some sense of entitlement just because of our previous successes... it's in the past. Anyone who actually understands hockey can see what this team is. One that's going to battle every night whether we're playing the Blue Skirts or the Blue Jackets. It's gonna be a fight no matter what. So... no expected automatic 82 wins here... I also try not to get too busted up over losses. That's why they play 82 of these things, right?

#318 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

I don't like the "you must be a young fan" stereotype. I'm only 21. Obviously, I've grown up with nothing but the Devils winning. That doesn't mean I am an idiot who feels some sense of entitlement just because of our previous successes... it's in the past. Anyone who actually understands hockey can see what this team is. One that's going to battle every night whether we're playing the Blue Skirts or the Blue Jackets. It's gonna be a fight no matter what. So... no expected automatic 82 wins here... I also try not to get too busted up over losses. That's why they play 82 of these things, right?

Didn't say it was ALL young fans who feel this way, but I do see the "Devils should keep being elite just because" attitude among that age group more than I do among the older fans. You're clearly not of that mindset.

#30 FOREVER!

#319 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

Unless something changes your top 7 defensmen will be Fayne, Tallinder, Greene, Volchenkov, Salvador, Foster and Larsson. The only player I see getting sat before Larsson is Foster who mans the 1st PP unit. There is no chance in hell I want the 7th defensmen to be a 19 year old 4th overall pick. If Larsson doesn't outplay Foster there is a very good chance he gets sent down to the AHL until the playoffs. Taormina is the ideal age and type of player to be a 7th defensmen. He can plug into any hole in the lineup. This would require our bandaid defense to be healthy.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 05 January 2012 - 03:00 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#320 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Unless something changes your top 7 defensmen will be Fayne, Tallinder, Greene, Volchenkov, Salvador, Foster and Larsson. The only player I see getting sat before Larsson is Foster who mans the 1st PP unit. There is no chance in hell I want the 7th defensmen to be a 19 year old 4th overall pick. If Larsson doesn't outplay Foster there is a very good chance he gets sent down to the AHL until the playoffs. Taormina is the ideal age and type of player to be a 7th defensmen. He can plug into any hole in the lineup. This would require our bandaid defense to be healthy.

well to be fair this summer nobody here would have picked a 21 years old 3rd round pick to be our top center either lol

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users