• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:43 PM

According to TSN.ca:

Peterson diagnosed with Parkinson's
TSN.ca Staff
4/20/2004

Nashville Predators associate coach Brent Peterson has confirmed he is suffering from Parkinson's disease.

Peterson says he informed team management and the players on Sunday and elected to go public with the diagnosis in order to quell any wild speculation.

"I was a little concerned. I didn't want anyone to know because I didn't want them to treat me differently," Peterson tells the Tennessean. "I didn't want them to think I was a leper or something.

"I feel a little relieved now that everyone knows, so I can just go forward."

Peterson, a former player, says he began experiencing a tingling sensation in the fingers in his right hand over a year ago but did nothing about it. After several months had passed, he started to feel stiffness in his right hand and began noticing that his right arm wasn't swinging quite the way it should when he walked. Peterson went to see the doctor, who referred him to a neurologist, where the diagnosis was made.

Parkinson's Disease is a slowly progressive neurodegenerative illness characterized by tremor, stiffness, slowness of movement and difficulty with balance. In Canada, there are approximately 100,000 people suffering with Parkinson's and more than half of them are diagnosed before retirement age. Treatment options include drug therapy, surgery, and physical therapy. Drugs alleviate the symptoms but do not halt the progression.

Peterson, who was given a contract extension by the team on Monday, says he expects to continue his duties with the Predators while receiving treatment for his disease.

"I plan on coaching for 10 or 15 more years," he said. "Hopefully things will get to the point that I'll always be able to do my job."

Peterson is friends with former Boston Bruins star Cam Neely, who is also a friend of Canadian actor and avid hockey fan Michael J. Fox, who is one of the more prominent people diagnosed with the disease. Pope John Paul II and Muhammad Ali are also battling with the ailment.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/ne...894&hubName=nhl

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#2 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:48 PM

That is really sad....at first i thought Denis Pederson
Posted Image

#3 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:49 PM

yeah me too

but geesh.. it gets WORSE AND WORSE this year doesn't it..
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#4 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:51 PM

:(

Best wishes...

#5 Elias Sports Bureau

Elias Sports Bureau

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:59 PM

Awwwww no.
Best wishes and prayers.
Keeper of Patrik Elias, Alexander Mogilny and njdevs.com Keepers

"We've let the fans down. People pay good money and they've always had pride in the Devils." -- Scott Gomez

#6 SpeakoftheDevil(s)

SpeakoftheDevil(s)

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:33 PM

God willing technology will soon offer hope to reverse this disease. From recent articles I have read, there is hope.
"Weakness is provacative, it often intices people to do what they oridnarily wouldn't"

Posted Image

Steinbrenner quickly responded to the RedSox Owner, (who was complaining about the Yankees signing of ARod), saying: "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction." In regards to

#7 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:37 PM

Best wishes and prayers. Go to the doctor when things don't feel right!
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#8 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:31 PM

Poor guy. Hope he gets well :( .

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#9 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:31 PM

Get better soon.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#10 Devildude

Devildude

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:20 PM

Shame... Get better soon
Still a Fan of Friesen!

Those Devils are Damn Good... DAMN GOOD!!!!

#11 dallasdevil15

dallasdevil15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

Wow that's is sad. I hope that he will get better. :(

#12 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:58 PM

I didn't think you "got better" from Parkinsons? Micheal J. Fox has organized a few celebrity hockey tournaments up here to raise money for Parkinsons research. From my readings, the best you can hope for is to slow it down to a minute crawl...
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#13 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:00 PM

:(
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users