161 replies to this topic

#101 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Parise is one of a kind player but yea I agree, if he doesn't want to be here let's trade him and get 2 solid D men. Defense wins championships!

well according to Eric Brewer its not... "Defence wins championships, right now it's not winning us anything."

www.SterioDesign.com

#102 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Love Zach parise but this guy hasn't been great in the playoffs during his tenure as a Devil. He should take some responsibility for our struggles recently

He did. From the article that this thread is about:
“We made some mistakes before. We lost some series we should’ve won. But what do you do now? It’s about how we’re going to do in the next few years.”

#103 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

Any team that makes the playoffs can win the cup. The stacked teams are stacked already and can't fit an 8mm contract on their roster and they aren't really sustainable because players want their money. Boston is very fortunate that they were basically able to keep their team together for another go this season.

If you want to sign for big money, you need to pick a team and lead them to the cup with your supporting cost. It's time for Parise to lead this team to victory.

This.

#104 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Meh, I wouldn't call him the least of the problems. He's a scorer and his scoring hasn't been there when NJ has needed it. I'd give his playoff performances a B- or so.

If you like being depressed, here's something to check out:

http://www.hockey-re...order_by=points

Lol wow. Uh..ya.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#105 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

He did. From the article that this thread is about:
“We made some mistakes before. We lost some series we should’ve won. But what do you do now? It’s about how we’re going to do in the next few years.”

see those key words.....he didnt say "how the Devils will do in the next few years" or "how I'm gonna do in the next few years".....he said "how we're going to do in the next few years"......yes he said "we're" as in him with the Devils together, so I guess he's planning on sticking around.
end of discussion

#106 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Yup, that's the kind of thing that I always pick up on as well.
Just to pile on to that train of thought:

J.P. was also quoted as saying: “He's overly loyal, and he's not going to rush into anything. He's always loved the New Jersey Devils. He's been extremely loyal to the organization, to his teammates. But this is business now.”

Zach smiled.

“That,” he said, “is true.”

#107 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Zach... i have the perfect solution here to make everyones happy...

sign the damn deal, you'll get your money, and if you really see after a few years that we're not getting anywhere just ask for a trade, its that simple, then you won't fvck us over completely by walking away this summer without having anything in return at least.

www.SterioDesign.com

#108 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Zach is no big deal. If we loose him, we can just Sign Dustin Penner away from the Kings.
*snicker, snicker*

#109 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Check out the Fire and Ice blog.....Zach clears up some of the recent BS, and sounds positive about being here

#110 Microwavepizza

Microwavepizza

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Check out the Fire and Ice blog.....Zach clears up some of the recent BS, and sounds positive about being here

exactly

TG Article about Parise

Edited by Microwavepizza, 10 January 2012 - 06:57 PM.

POTATO!!!

#111 NJ4life

NJ4life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

I think this below from TG's blog today says it all on top of him referring to "we're" when speaking about the devils in the future...

“From a player standpoint, you always want to look at how the team is built for the future and what the future looks like, if you’re going to be a competitive team.,” he said “That’s the most important thing. I think that’s No. 1 on my list – a team that’s going to have a chance year in and year out and looks in the future like they’re going to have a great chance to consistently make the playoffs and have a chance at the Stanley Cup.”

Just to clarify, I asked Parise if he believes the Devils fit that description?

“I definitely do,” he said. “I was just saying what a player is looking for.”

He's not going anywhere!!! Can anyone can't get an answer out of Lou why he hasn't started talking with his agents??? It is beyond me when he said he would DURING THE SEASON for Parise after he signed the 1 year deal.

#112 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Lol wow. Uh..ya.

how about zajac...really 3 goals in 28 games
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#113 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

First comment on the Fire & Ice story:

Ok…bleacher report is full of sh!t apparently
Posted by rjk on 01/10 at 01:12 PM

rotfl
um... dude, it's Bleacher Report. Duh!

:D

#114 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

are we going to have another When the Kovy Turns thread? :argh:

#115 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:21 AM

The way Parise has played, the way he's spoken about himself and the team and just the way I perceive him as a person, I think he'll give the Devils a better chance at signing him than he will any other team. I don't see him getting anymore than Stamkos is though. He's scored 40+ goals one time in his career, but is more likely a 35-40 goal guy and will consistently put up around 75-85 points per season. Eric Staal may be getting almost $8 mil, but he had a 100 point season, Parise has not done that. Staal has also won a Cup, Parise has not. My point is not that Parise is a lesser player or is not deserving of a big contract, but I don't see him getting more money than guys who put up more points per season and have achieved more in their careers to this point than he has. I see him getting somewhere in the $6.5-7.5 mil range. Anymore than $7.5 and it starts to get a bit ridiculous when guys who have scored 50 goals and guys who have won cups are a getting only that much or less.

I think Parise is better than Jeff Carter, but statistically, he's not been by a whole lot and Carter signed for like $5.5 mil or something, right? Both he and Parise have put up similar numbers over their careers and are of a similar age, so what logic brings you to the conclusion that Parise deserves more than $2 million/season more than Carter does?

I think Parise will sign for something like 8 years for around $55-60 million. Whether he signs with NJ or elsewhere is another question altogether.

Edited by ATLL765, 11 January 2012 - 05:25 AM.

#116 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

I agree with that analysis, too. Eric Staal is different in that he's basically the core of the franchise, as well. I think that the Carolina front office this season is beginning to realizetheir mistake in putting all of their proverbial eggs in that one basket, based on some of the things being said in the papers recently down in Raleigh.

I'm betting that Parise is more interested in the length of the contract than the amount anyway. Obviously he's going to want as much as he can get per season, but he sees what Lou gave Kavalchuk and realizes that he deserves at least the same contract. One component of the talk about "cup chances matter more" has to do with getting a contract that works for him and the team, and receiving a longer contract with a lower per year base (stretched out, basically) accomplishes that. Neither party could do that sort of thing this last summer, with the obvious injury concerns. It seems that he's recovered now though, so everything is looking pretty decent to me.

Both Jeff Carter's contract and Ilya Kovalchuk's seem like good comparables, to me. I'd guess that he'll end up with a 15 year deal at an average of $7 mil per year. He may be willing to match Kovy's $6.666 mil average, though. (Carter: 11 years, $5,272,727; Kovalchuk: 15 years, $6,666,667). It'd be nice if the average (and therefore the cap hit) were lower, but I wouldn't count on it.

#117 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

The way Parise has played, the way he's spoken about himself and the team and just the way I perceive him as a person, I think he'll give the Devils a better chance at signing him than he will any other team. I don't see him getting anymore than Stamkos is though. He's scored 40+ goals one time in his career, but is more likely a 35-40 goal guy and will consistently put up around 75-85 points per season. Eric Staal may be getting almost $8 mil, but he had a 100 point season, Parise has not done that. Staal has also won a Cup, Parise has not. My point is not that Parise is a lesser player or is not deserving of a big contract, but I don't see him getting more money than guys who put up more points per season and have achieved more in their careers to this point than he has. I see him getting somewhere in the $6.5-7.5 mil range. Anymore than $7.5 and it starts to get a bit ridiculous when guys who have scored 50 goals and guys who have won cups are a getting only that much or less.

I think Parise is better than Jeff Carter, but statistically, he's not been by a whole lot and Carter signed for like $5.5 mil or something, right? Both he and Parise have put up similar numbers over their careers and are of a similar age, so what logic brings you to the conclusion that Parise deserves more than $2 million/season more than Carter does?

I think Parise will sign for something like 8 years for around $55-60 million. Whether he signs with NJ or elsewhere is another question altogether.

Throw out Staal's 100-point season...it came during the 1st post-lockout season, where legal body checks were being called penalties. Guys put up numbers that season that they haven't since. Gomez's 33 goals and Gionta's 48 goals ring a bell?

What Staal has shown is the ability to put up 70-80 points or so a season, to the tune of about 30-40 goals and 35-45 assists per season (5 straight years, before this one).
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#118 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,892 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Throw out Staal's 100-point season...it came during the 1st post-lockout season, where legal body checks were being called penalties. Guys put up numbers that season that they haven't since. Gomez's 33 goals and Gionta's 48 goals ring a bell?

What Staal has shown is the ability to put up 70-80 points or so a season, to the tune of about 30-40 goals and 35-45 assists per season (5 straight years, before this one).

He's also terrible on faceoffs and not very good defensively. To a large degree, he's Kovalchuk if he played center.

But it's not Staal's contract that's killing the 'Canes, it's the fact that they haven't drafted a halfway decent defenseman in 10 years, and the fact that Rutherford tosses away a lot of draft picks every year. I like Rutherford's style - he understands some things about the market that other GMs simply don't - but the lack of draft acumen has caught up to the franchise.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#119 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

Yea, agreed. I do think that his contract is handcuffing the team's cap management slightly, though. It's not "killing them" by any means, but... when you have the one guy who's pulling down the mega contract that can be kinda tough on team psychology in addition to the cap management aspects.

#120 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

So this was posted last month

Could Zach Parise Be Headed To The Wild Next Season?
December 2 St. Paul Pioneer Press
"Former Minnesota North Stars captain J.P. Parise says his youngest son, New Jersey Devils captain Zach Parise, wants to sign next summer with the NHL team that will give him the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. Could that be the Wild? The elder Parise called Minnesota "a young, coming team." After signing a one-year contract for $6 million with the Devils last summer, Parise is scheduled to become a free agent following this season. "He likes to win," J.P. said after watching the Devils work out at the Xcel Energy Center on Thursday in preparation for tonight's game against the Wild at the X. "He likes to have a chance to win, and right now it's kind of tough with the Devils." J.P., one"

Hmmm...well you know what if he wants to go to the Wild how about we trade him for a G and Clutterbuck.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users