161 replies to this topic

#141 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

this whole situation really is a win win, i think. either we get to keep Parise long term, and its awesome for the franchise because we get to keep a stud.

...orrr we all of a sudden get a bunch of money to spend on either getting a very nice new goalie, defenseman, or forward- all pretty exciting

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#142 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

When talking about who is the better player I think it is key to compare who would you use in various game time decisions:

Even strength, Kovalchuk has tremendous skill and has a better chance than Zach given his history of scoring.

In a shootout... This depends. If it is the first spot, Kovalchuk. If the pressure is on and it is the third shooter, Parise. Kovalchuk has proven that under pressure he does not play well consistently.

On the Powerplay, you'd probably say both although Kovalchuk is much more of a risk at the point where he is used. Edge goes to Zach.

On the Penalty Kill, Parise hands down. Let's not even talk about that "other" guy.

Late in the game to protect a lead... This is easy, Parise because he has proven he'll skate back and make the smart play.

To me Parise is by far the better player and I'd even throw Elias ahead of Kovalchuk for many of the same reasons. Elias also makes people better around him.
Game Worn Devils Collector! Please contact me concerning all things: Tom Chorske, Patrik Elias, David Hale, Bobby Holik, Jamie Langenbrunner, Grant Marshall, Kirk Muller, & Brian Rolston.

#143 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

When talking about who is the better player I think it is key to compare who would you use in various game time decisions:

Even strength, Kovalchuk has tremendous skill and has a better chance than Zach given his history of scoring.

In a shootout... This depends. If it is the first spot, Kovalchuk. If the pressure is on and it is the third shooter, Parise. Kovalchuk has proven that under pressure he does not play well consistently.

On the Powerplay, you'd probably say both although Kovalchuk is much more of a risk at the point where he is used. Edge goes to Zach.

On the Penalty Kill, Parise hands down. Let's not even talk about that "other" guy.

Late in the game to protect a lead... This is easy, Parise because he has proven he'll skate back and make the smart play.

To me Parise is by far the better player and I'd even throw Elias ahead of Kovalchuk for many of the same reasons. Elias also makes people better around him.

But the thing is, why did he even bring that up? Kovalchuk being a Devil, his contract, all of it - has nothing to do with us signing ZP. We have plenty of cap room to get it done. The onus is on ZP & Lou to get it done. Who is a better player is irrelevant. We all know we are better by having both of them.

#144 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:19 AM

this whole situation really is a win win, i think. either we get to keep Parise long term, and its awesome for the franchise because we get to keep a stud.

...orrr we all of a sudden get a bunch of money to spend on either getting a very nice new goalie, defenseman, or forward- all pretty exciting

the thing is... we don't know if those studs will be available in the next few years... and IF we don't have Parise we're way less attractive on July first... unless we throw way too much money... then you endup with a "good overpaid guy"

we need parise... 100%

www.SterioDesign.com

#145 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:10 AM

the thing is... we don't know if those studs will be available in the next few years... and IF we don't have Parise we're way less attractive on July first... unless we throw way too much money... then you endup with a "good overpaid guy"

we need parise... 100%

Quite simply, those guys won't be. And then the dance partners are plentiful, so no guarantee that many, if any, want to come here.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#146 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Lou won't sign a Parise type player away from another team, regardless. He'd trade for one (and has in the past), and then deal with resigning him (Mogilny, Gilmore sorta, Kovalchuk), but he won't get into a free agent battle. I think that not only is it against his managerial philosophy, but I don't think that he'll ever forget the whole Shannahan saga (I know that I certainly won't!).

#147 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

The other thing is WITH Kovalchuk we stand a better chance of being viewed a contender than we do without him.

Lou has proven he can spend the same amount on a heck of a lot LESS! and he can inordinately loyal to a heck of a lot less. The Kovalchuk contract just confirms all this form the start. but taken on a year by year basis it's no different than anything Lou's done in the past.

I'm with JoeB. If Parise walks he'd have walked with or without Kovalchuk on the team. It's a non-issue now when it comes to brass tacks.
To wax JP on you all "Now if we were talkin' bout end of season 09-10 well then it'd be a different story... haw haw haw"

I'm here for the party

#148 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

The other thing is WITH Kovalchuk we stand a better chance of being viewed a contender than we do without him.

Lou has proven he can spend the same amount on a heck of a lot LESS! and he can inordinately loyal to a heck of a lot less. The Kovalchuk contract just confirms all this form the start. but taken on a year by year basis it's no different than anything Lou's done in the past.

I'm with JoeB. If Parise walks he'd have walked with or without Kovalchuk on the team. It's a non-issue now when it comes to brass tacks.
To wax JP on you all "Now if we were talkin' bout end of season 09-10 well then it'd be a different story... haw haw haw"

Read this article and list of the top 15 OVERRATED players in the league surveyed by 161 NHL players. Pay particular attention to #6.

http://sportsillustr.../content.1.html

I also enjoyed seeing #4 and #14, but I think everyone will LOVE #3.

I don't agree with them all (especially numbers 2, 9, 12, and 15), but the rest I do. There is truth to #6 and I hope people really see it for what it is.

Edited by Chorske17, 13 January 2012 - 01:34 PM.

Game Worn Devils Collector! Please contact me concerning all things: Tom Chorske, Patrik Elias, David Hale, Bobby Holik, Jamie Langenbrunner, Grant Marshall, Kirk Muller, & Brian Rolston.

#149 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Read this article and list of the top 15 OVERRATED players in the league surveyed by 161 NHL players. Pay particular attention to #6.

http://sportsillustr.../content.1.html

I also enjoyed seeing #4 and #14, but I think everyone will LOVE #3.

I don't agree with them all (especially numbers 2, 9, 12, and 15), but the rest I do. There is truth to #6 and I hope people really see it for what it is: A Mistake.

He is only overrated because he signed one of the most ridiculous contracts ever. this does not take away from his talent, because he is simply nasty on the ice. he is so fvcking talented its amazing he gets hated on as much as he does. the contract is crazy, we all know that. but dont talk about the guy like he is not brilliant because in doing so, THAT is the mistake

#150 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

He is only overrated because he signed one of the most ridiculous contracts ever. this does not take away from his talent, because he is simply nasty on the ice. he is so fvcking talented its amazing he gets hated on as much as he does. the contract is crazy, we all know that. but dont talk about the guy like he is not brilliant because in doing so, THAT is the mistake

I didn't see where it says that Kovalchuk is overrated because of his contract? Can you show me where that is or were you speculating (giving an opinion)?

#151 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

I didn't see where it says that Kovalchuk is overrated because of his contract? Can you show me where that is or were you speculating (giving an opinion)?

thats my opinion

it doen't even explain. literally 0 words

#152 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

+1

If Kovy was making $4 million per season, he would be considered a godsend and extremely underrated. If you look at this list, it really should be called, "The craziest contracts in the NHL" because it is all about the money being paid to these players. Are they kidding? Igina, Kessler, Pronger (when healthy), and Ovechkin may have huge contracts, but they are not overrated and any team in the NHL would love to have those players in their lineup.
Posted Image

#153 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

I watched that slideshow already and should add that he's in mighty good company... most here would kill for most on the list.

As for Gomez - he's beyond the overrated phase and just stands out as over paid.

I'm here for the party

#154 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

+1

If Kovy was making $4 million per season, he would be considered a godsend and extremely underrated. If you look at this list, it really should be called, "The craziest contracts in the NHL" because it is all about the money being paid to these players. Are they kidding? Igina, Kessler, Pronger (when healthy), and Ovechkin may have huge contracts, but they are not overrated and any team in the NHL would love to have those players in their lineup.

exactly, those are all great players. i might even be willing to say that im glad to have a player being discussed with those players

#155 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

thats my opinion

Oh I know it has zero words, but that is what other players who play against Kovalchuk think: He is overrated. I don't think the salary has anything to do with it, but like your post, that is my opinion.
I believe he is overpaid and overrated (again an opinion), but apparently a vast number of NHL players who play against Kovalchuk think so too)

I cannot believe no one has mentioned #3 on the list. At least laugh at that!

#156 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

That list should be titled 'Players NHL players are jealous of'

Also Kovalchuk has been doing a phenomenal job killing penalties so far this year, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his ability there - I would be quick to dismiss his ability at 5 on 5 defense though.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#157 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

i think it would be best as people being viewed as overpaid and therefor overrated....who knows. I think Kovy is an incredible athlete and I love having him on my team but don't know if he is worth what we gave him (my opinion not meant to be argumentative). On the other hand I think Elias is underrated because he seems like a complete player to me and is a guy you would want on the eyes no matter the situation.

#158 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

This.

#159 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

Which NHL players are jealous of Jokinen and Gomez? :whistling:

#160 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

Which NHL players are jealous of Jokinen and Gomez? :whistling:

Poor ones
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users