414 replies to this topic

#361 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

Brodeur let in 2 easy goals on 5 shots, and didn't look comfortable at all. He deserved to be pulled. It just turned out that Moose was no better last night. It was one of those games where everything went wrong early, and they put themselves in too big of a hole to climb out. Problem is, after last season, everyone has the feeling of impending dread after each loss and starts thinking "is this the beginning of the decline towards last year's first half." The media feeds into it, the players have to answer questions about it, and the fans loose their minds on message boards because they played 1 1/2 bad periods.
Posted Image

#362 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

This team isn't going anywhere without a more reliable addition to the goaltending platoon. I'd love to see Kinkaid in NHL action at this point. Give the kid a few games to prove himself. What's the worst that could happen?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#363 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Not sure, but I read an interesting/quirky stat saying we've never beaten the Flames in Calgary in the month of January. 0-5-2 or somesuch.

It's a ridiculous stat, but still. The Flames give us fits, especially in Calgary.

There was a time during our 95-03 years that we used to beat them quite a bit. We would always beat them at home pretty cleanly, but in Calgary we always struggled but then usually won. Now we can't beat them for our lives in Calgary.

#364 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Brodeur let in 2 easy goals on 5 shots, and didn't look comfortable at all. He deserved to be pulled. It just turned out that Moose was no better last night. It was one of those games where everything went wrong early, and they put themselves in too big of a hole to climb out. Problem is, after last season, everyone has the feeling of impending dread after each loss and starts thinking "is this the beginning of the decline towards last year's first half." The media feeds into it, the players have to answer questions about it, and the fans loose their minds on message boards because they played 1 1/2 bad periods.

Very very well put. +1

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#365 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Oh and if im Lou i draft vasilevski this year! or i trade for a young goaltender... (bernier, quick etc)

#366 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

Oh and if im Lou i draft vasilevski this year! or i trade for a young goaltender... (bernier, quick etc)

Can you remind me, if you know, how the playoffs affect draft position? I forget... but I think the Devils will have a 17-24 pick unless they trade up. I wonder if Vasilevski will be available there. Also, he would be okay picking anyone from the Swedish team in the first round haha.

Side: Does anyone have the Russian Junior or Swedish Junior roster showing if any of them got drafted and by who?

#367 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

This team isn't going anywhere without a more reliable addition to the goaltending platoon. I'd love to see Kinkaid in NHL action at this point. Give the kid a few games to prove himself. What's the worst that could happen?

Kinkaid isn't even the starter in Albany yet. The kid has like 20 games of pro hockey under his belt. He's not ready. If he was, Lou would get him up here. Don't rush him.
Posted Image

#368 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

I am at least glad DeBoer had the guts to pull Brodeur when he did. I couldn't say the same with other past coaches when Brodeur had games where he was stinking up the place.

It wasn't like there were that many of them. I know you say you appreciate the balance of Marty's career, but there's a tone to your posts when you post about him...some underlying anger/hatred...obviously we met and you seem like a nice enough guy, and we're both on the same side in that we're both Devils fans, but there's a way you come off relating to all matters Marty...

Like I said, I thought DeBoer had a bit of a quick hook with him last night, but I understood the reasons behind it, and clearly they weren't all 100% to do with Marty, though on that second goal I even joked to my wife "Marty might be getting yanked out of this one".

The only thing I'd like to see is DeBoer be a little more consistent if he's going to take this tact with Marty...he can get yanked when he's down to 2-0 in the first period, but play the entire 60 minutes in a 6-1 loss to Boston and a 6-1 loss to Colorado?
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#369 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Seriously Deboer made the right move last night... Brodeur got score on 2 shots (and bad one...) The problem is that Moose suck when he cames in ...

Anyway it was the first time both goalie suck
6 Goal on 14 shots...

But they will bounce back

If im deboer Marty gets the start tonight! (Angry and all that stuff)

But again whoever is in the net they just need to forget last night game

Seriously we dominate the flames on the second half of the game

This part is very true. Right now I am scratching my head trying to remember a game where both Devils goalies were awful. A lot of things went wrong for us in goal and on defense, but a lot of things went right in terms of offense.

Anyways time to move on and where the hell is the GDT for tonights game!!?? It is 10:30 already and I do not see anything.

#370 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

Drafting isnt a good idea IMO. Most goaltenders that are drafted arent close to becoming NHL quality. Bernier would be a great addition as would quick but honestly, I dont see Lou going on either of them. Its going to be yet another interesting off-season. either way, the goaltending issue needs to be addressed and it cant be put off like it has been in the last 2 years. Marty also really needs to consider and take into effect where he sees himself and how he sees himself capable playing next year because honestly, he cant keep going as the starting goaltender....not on this team. Its tough because with Marty around all these years, Lou has never really had to worry about the starting goaltending issue until now.

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#371 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Can you remind me, if you know, how the playoffs affect draft position? I forget... but I think the Devils will have a 17-24 pick unless they trade up. I wonder if Vasilevski will be available there. Also, he would be okay picking anyone from the Swedish team in the first round haha.

Side: Does anyone have the Russian Junior or Swedish Junior roster showing if any of them got drafted and by who?

I have a feeling that, if we make the playoffs this season, we are forfeiting our first round pick as part of the Kovy penalty.

I believe the draft order goes by your regular season record in descending order, even for playoff teams, with the exception of the Stanley Cup Champ, who gets the last pick regardless of their record.
Posted Image

#372 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

On the topic of Marty being pulled... It's easy to have hindsight and wonder if it was the correct move, if he would've let in the ones that Moose let in... but he sure did not look comfortable. At the time I felt it was the right move, it worked once against Ottawa, unfortunately it was just not our night I guess. I hope Marty gets the start tonight though.

#373 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

I have a feeling that, if we make the playoffs this season, we are forfeiting our first round pick as part of the Kovy penalty.

I believe the draft order goes by your regular season record in descending order, even for playoff teams, with the exception of the Stanley Cup Champ, who gets the last pick regardless of their record.

I honestly think we keep our first rounder this season. This is slated to be one of the deepest drafts in a while. The Russian and Swedish junior teams are going to be picked apart... and knowing Lou's scouting like getting Urbom, Josefson, Tedenby, and so on... he'll have a sleeper pick and trade up to get it.

#374 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,510 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

The only thing I'd like to see is DeBoer be a little more consistent if he's going to take this tact with Marty...he can get yanked when he's down to 2-0 in the first period, but play the entire 60 minutes in a 6-1 loss to Boston and a 6-1 loss to Colorado?

What? Brodeur was horrendous last night. He was not horrendous in either of these games - he let up one stoppable goal in each, maybe 2, but he wasn't really the reason the team lost either of those games. DeBoer says he's doing it to fire up the team, and that's part of it, but part of it is also that the goalie just did not have it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#375 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,773 posts

It wasn't like there were that many of them. I know you say you appreciate the balance of Marty's career, but there's a tone to your posts when you post about him...some underlying anger/hatred...obviously we met and you seem like a nice enough guy, and we're both on the same side in that we're both Devils fans, but there's a way you come off relating to all matters Marty...

Like I said, I thought DeBoer had a bit of a quick hook with him last night, but I understood the reasons behind it, and clearly they weren't all 100% to do with Marty, though on that second goal I even joked to my wife "Marty might be getting yanked out of this one".

Again I really do not know where you think I hated Marty forever. I have said in previous posts over the past couple of years that I think that Marty should have retired at least a couple seasons back, but I never said he was a terrible goalie from 94-07. Hell I could have been tapdancing with this GDT about how right I was before and now everyone is agreeing with me about Brodeur, but I am not as I know it is people just being fustrated with last night's game.

Marty had games even in his glory years where he stunk up the place, just like Roy had those games, Belfour had those games, and Hasek had those games. I was honestly not trying to put some underhanded jab at Brodeur there and you are right as there were very few of them, but I do remember games where he did play poorly. It happens.

#376 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Anyways time to move on and where the hell is the GDT for tonights game!!?? It is 10:30 already and I do not see anything.

I was thinking the same thing but Im not going to be the one to make it, last one I made we lost in OT so I dont want to go there.

Posted Image

#377 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

I didn't think about it that way. Good point. A lot will depend on the Parise and goaltending situation (Brodeur retirement) going into next season. If Parise resigns, and Lou believes he has a suitable goalie solution heading into next year, then I can see him keeping the pick. If the opposite happens, then who knows.
Posted Image

#378 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

On the topic of Marty being pulled... It's easy to have hindsight and wonder if it was the correct move, if he would've let in the ones that Moose let in... but he sure did not look comfortable. At the time I felt it was the right move, it worked once against Ottawa, unfortunately it was just not our night I guess. I hope Marty gets the start tonight though.

My take on it has nothing to do with Moose's performance...like I said, I understood why DeBoer did it...he was being proactive. I personally would've given Marty one last chance (if he had given up a 3rd goal in that first period, I would've taken him out, even if it wasn't his fault, just to try to get the team going).
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#379 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

I agree with this. I dont understand it either. I think that DeBoer just saw something last night that made him feel the team could come back and win it. As soon as I saw the second goal go in, I knew that Marty was done for the night. The goaltending status needs to be more consistent though. I am all for starting the goaltender who sat the game before (Unless reasons such as injuries, illness, hotness and so on)

Posted Image

#380 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

I think the lighting in the Saddledome must be low or something, because BOTH goalies let in some softies, and WE as a team always seem to lose in that place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users