234 replies to this topic

#181 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

I'm watching an old GI Joe cartoon. They just lost a couple billion dollars worth of military equipment to Cobra.
Oh and Destro was surely involved in his fair share of orgies in the 70's.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#182 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

All I know is Zubby is the team DJ, and he's the one responsible for over-hauling the music for warmups. Which I'm fine with, especially since "Hello" is their new entrance song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJXgMdEXjpg&feature=related

#183 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

What the sky isn't falling tonight?

:whistling:
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#184 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

oh sh!t oilers didnt score 5 on 5 that was a PPG?

screen

Edited by lazer, 12 January 2012 - 01:25 AM.

Posted Image

#185 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

Had this feeling the Devils were going to pull this one off.
Posted Image Posted Image

#186 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:40 AM

solid outing. A BS penalty blew the shutout, nothing you can really do about that shot but whatever. Good win.

Edited by ben00rs, 12 January 2012 - 01:40 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#187 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:56 AM

so Hall got the first star... mmm why?

www.SterioDesign.com

#188 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:56 AM

Canadian media. Ridiculous they didn't include Hedberg.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#189 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

Funny, for all the complaining about the goaltending, in four of the last five games they've allowed only one goal, two goals in a fifth game, and three goals in a sixth. The other two were bretty brutal...6 goals in each one...and the goaltending in Calgary was as bad as it gets. But we keep stressing the importance of being able to save 90% (at the very least) of the shots that come their way...well, here are the save%s over each of those eight games:

.957, .966, .906, .778, .917, .976, .571 (ouch), .957

No one's going to take a gander at the Devils' goaltender tandem and think they've got a couple of brick walls in net, but as we've seen, at least recently, there's reasons to hope their play might be getting better, even if we have to deal with Calgary-type trainwrecks here and there.

I didn't read through the whole thread, but Kovy's second intermission interview really jumped out at me...the guy seemed so focused, almost annoyed that he couldn't stay out there...almost like "Screw this interview sh!t, and this intermission, I want to get out there and I want to keep playing." It's weird, as much as he improved when Lemaire took over, and was trying to improve his shortcomings(and as frustrating as he can be, I don't think not trying was ever Kovy's problem), now that I see the way he's playing lately, it feels like he's being more true to himself, and is more comfortable on the ice as a result. It means we'll have still have to deal with "WTF?" moments, and "WTF?" games, and occasionally even two or three "WTF?!?" games in a row, but if the overall result is what we've been seeing for a while now (13 G and 14 A in his last 22 GP), I'll take it.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#190 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

Canadian media. Ridiculous they didn't include Hedberg.

I found it incredible as well. How do you get one assist in a loss and get the first star? If anything it's almost like they're unintentionally mocking him considering how many chances he had to score and failed.

#191 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

Dear Oilers:

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#192 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

It's clear that Kovalchuk hates doing interviews at the intermission - there was one time recently where they said he would be on and then he was bumped 'cause someone else scored.

But yeah, Kovalchuk is well over 4 shots/game now. He's 4th in the league in total shots. This is the player the Devils signed up for - even last season, Kovalchuk was never really well above 3 shots per game in any month besides March. He keeps scoring but his shooting percentage remains largely stagnant - that's because he's shooting so much. It's easy to forget that this is a player who's scored on one of every 7 shots in his career.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#193 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

I was watching that game last night wondering where the heck we'd be if Kovy went out for a month or three, and it wasn't a happy thought. It was actually right before he picked that guy's pocket and scored on the breakaway. ;)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#194 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'm watching an old GI Joe cartoon. They just lost a couple billion dollars worth of military equipment to Cobra.
Oh and Destro was surely involved in his fair share of orgies in the 70's.

This one? (NOT safe for work!)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#195 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

The best part was that he kept staring at the camera and you can tell the guys behind the camera were telling him to be more natural and look at deb too.

Lol it kinda reminded me of the last scene in pee-wee's big adventure.

This is the scene I meant yesterday in my post. It is classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaBgd_nOXKM

#196 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

I was watching that game last night wondering where the heck we'd be if Kovy went out for a month or three, and it wasn't a happy thought. It was actually right before he picked that guy's pocket and scored on the breakaway. ;)

Yeah...he's a big part of our success, and even though a lot of our fans nit-pick every mistake he makes, he's really an outstanding player. And if you live outside this area and dont watch Devil games, I'm sure the highlights from the NHL every night show Kovi doing something good.

#197 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

Best thing about last night was, despite the Oilers looking better for a good part of the game, our star players stepped up and carried us. The Kovy goal was the complete anti-kovy type play that nobody thought we would see a couple of years ago. Out working somebody at the point on the PK and burying the goal. Perfect combination of skill and effort. Elias and Parise down low on the power play; great to see.

17 for Kovy and 15 for Zach now. Lets see how hot they can get. In a year where its been a lot about depth players, it was great to see those two play huge in the win.

#198 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

That dudes a good player but uh ya..I'm just as confused.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#199 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

That dudes a good player but uh ya..I'm just as confused.

You know those secondary assists are tough and hard to come by :rolleyes:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#200 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

Funny, for all the complaining about the goaltending, in four of the last five games they've allowed only one goal, two goals in a fifth game, and three goals in a sixth. The other two were bretty brutal...6 goals in each one...and the goaltending in Calgary was as bad as it gets. But we keep stressing the importance of being able to save 90% (at the very least) of the shots that come their way...well, here are the save%s over each of those eight games:

.957, .966, .906, .778, .917, .976, .571 (ouch), .957

No one's going to take a gander at the Devils' goaltender tandem and think they've got a couple of brick walls in net, but as we've seen, at least recently, there's reasons to hope their play might be getting better, even if we have to deal with Calgary-type trainwrecks here and there.

I didn't read through the whole thread, but Kovy's second intermission interview really jumped out at me...the guy seemed so focused, almost annoyed that he couldn't stay out there...almost like "Screw this interview sh!t, and this intermission, I want to get out there and I want to keep playing." It's weird, as much as he improved when Lemaire took over, and was trying to improve his shortcomings(and as frustrating as he can be, I don't think not trying was ever Kovy's problem), now that I see the way he's playing lately, it feels like he's being more true to himself, and is more comfortable on the ice as a result. It means we'll have still have to deal with "WTF?" moments, and "WTF?" games, and occasionally even two or three "WTF?!?" games in a row, but if the overall result is what we've been seeing for a while now (13 G and 14 A in his last 22 GP), I'll take it.

Exactly. Thanks for pulling the individual game numbers together like that. The distribution is off, which presents skewed results.
The Devils seasons stats at this point present a pretty classic statistical "lie" right now. Unfortunately we've got a few fellow fans in our midst who apparently have just enough understanding of statistics to be dangerous, and not enough to recognize the impact that the distribution spread can and does have.

I don't blame goaltending for our goals against problems this season. The problem is clearly the defense corp, and this illustration helps to highlight the issue. Goaltenders do not go from having .920 save percentages to .650 save percentages without help.

I agree with your analysis of Kovy as well. The way that he acted during that interview really hit me, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users