55 replies to this topic

#21 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

He is horrendous in his own zone. He puts up points because he's on the first power play unit, a unit that's now scoring.

I disagree that he's "horrendous". He's not the best in the world, but he's good enough for what we ask of him, and certainly good enough to continue playing unless he regresses. And mouse pointed it out that you may have it backwards - the PP may be scoring more because of his contributions, and not vice versa.

#22 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

I disagree that he's "horrendous". He's not the best in the world, but he's good enough for what we ask of him, and certainly good enough to continue playing unless he regresses. And mouse pointed it out that you may have it backwards - the PP may be scoring more because of his contributions, and not vice versa.

Agreed.

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

I don't think I have it backwards - I think Foster is okay on the PP. He's clearly better than Larsson and Fayne. But I don't think he's very good, either.

The rest of his career tells us that he's not sufficient in his own zone. Good is not good when better is expected, etc.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

from all i can remember Foster is having a real hard time to setup Kovy's one timer... he's always passing the puck too far in front so Kovy has to adjust quickly so he's not getting the best shot he could... ive seen it happened really really really often

www.SterioDesign.com

#25 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

He needs to prove himself before he is sent packing anywhere. Id personally rather see him in the lineup then Foster though but I guess thats just me.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#26 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

One thing to keep in mind in this discussion is that Foster is a right handed shot, while Green is a left handed shot.

#27 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

He needs to prove himself before he is sent packing anywhere. Id personally rather see him in the lineup then Foster though but I guess thats just me.

I'm not bashing Greene, or saying he's worse than Foster. I just don't think the d has looked much worse without him, and Foster brings a necessary skill that Greene doesn't have. I'd rather try to improve through trade than put Greene back in. I don't buy that the return from playing Greene is that great.

I definitely respect where you and Tri are coming from.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#28 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

I dont like Foster. I prefer Greene>Foster. But as much as I like Greene I prefer Taormina>Greene
Devils.

#29 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

Yes, he has helped. But I don't think he's good - I think Adam Larsson was horrendous. Slow decisions with the puck and a terrible shot release. Foster has a good release and tends to make quick decisions, but he's not very good at passing and makes the incorrect decision a too high % of the time.

Greene is not movable until at least the off-season - Taormina has what 25 NHL games? And Urbom fewer than that. Urbom was also not good during his callup and I don't think he can be #8 on the depth chart for a playoff team.

I actually think the team has missed Greene.

If by not moveable you mean they can't do without him, that's one thing but technically he's moveable since they moved Oduya around the same point into signing a long-term deal. I'd rather not see the Devils make it a habit...but it will be interesting to see what happens when (if?) Greene comes back, assuming nobody else gets hurt by then - which is a big assumption. With a healthy lineup, you'd have to figure Foster gets benched, but the PP has finally started to look NHL-caliber recently, do you really want to mess with it?
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#30 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

trading Greene would be moronic. It would kill our chances at a decent playoff run.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#31 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

trading Greene would be moronic. It would kill our chances at a decent playoff run.

I guess I'm missing the sarcasm smiley?

I wish I could bottle whatever voo-doo magic Andy Greene has done to some of this fanbase to make some think that he's a key cog in the NJ machine.
I get that market prices dictated that he get paid $3M/yr. - which he's clearly not worth on a dollar basis.
But, if you can get Suter, Enstrom, Vishnovsky, or such (which yes, is all probably impossible - we know) for Greene and other pieces - why not do it?

If Suter is going to make $6+ = is Andy Greene worth even half the player Ryan Suter is?

Just my 2 cents.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#32 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

I wish I could bottle whatever voo-doo magic Andy Greene has done to some of this fanbase to make some think that he's a key cog in the NJ machine.
I get that market prices dictated that he get paid $3M/yr. - which he's clearly not worth on a dollar basis.
But, if you can get Suter, Enstrom, Vishnovsky, or such (which yes, is all probably impossible - we know) for Greene and other pieces - why not do it?

If Suter is going to make $6+ = is Andy Greene worth even half the player Ryan Suter is?

Just my 2 cents.

You just answered your own question. It is impossible to turn Andy Greene into those guys.

I think the Devils have certainly missed Andy Greene. Foster has been awful 5-on-5, and I'd be scared to see him in the lineup come playoff time. Greene's a guy the Devils need right now.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#33 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

Double Post.

Edited by devilsrule33, 19 January 2012 - 01:21 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#34 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

it'll be better to have greene and foster as the 7th dman come playoffs just in case imo

the thing that keeps coming to mind is 2010 playoffs and how nervous skoula made me...philly made him look bad and my "sense" is foster will be the closest to making me feel that way

besides i don't think you move greene because what value could you get for this season...if you could move him i personally would pick a proven rw with size who is physical

and yeah if you could pull a suter like player i would trade greene but thats silly
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#35 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

Besides all of that, all that the Devils have in terms of defensemen right now are "nickels" and "dimes" (I suppose that you could, and probably should, classify Larsson as a "quarter", simply based on the fact that he's still something of a prospect), and everyone (with the possible exception of Mike Milbury :rolleyes:) knows that you don't trade a quarter for 2 nickels and a dime.

Lou does seem to have a knack for turning two nickels into a dime on a fairly regular basis though, which is kinda what's created this whole discussion right here.

Edited by ohms law, 19 January 2012 - 02:07 AM.

#36 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:37 AM

While I normally never take Bleacher Report seriously I was reading a speculation article (as 90% of B.R.'s articles are) on how the Devils should go after Islanders captain Mark Streit.

http://bleacherrepor...-for-the-devils

With Streit's cap hit being only 4 mil would it be a realistic option? Maybe package Greene and a prospect or two and picks (our Washington pick comes to mind)

n2eg.jpg

#37 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

Just my 2 cents.

Well, my response was directed towards the idea of getting a RW in return...I should have noted that. The point is you want to be stacked on D to go deep in the playoffs and no one should think that because we are winning right now, that anybody not in the lineup is expendable. As for an argument not to trade Greene at all...ok: he is a great price for high quality defense. I know what I get with him and none of the guys you listed are a sure thing to come in and play well. Keeping them of course would cost a pretty penny more than the deal we get for Andy.

All in all if you get one of those guys for Greene, it's not much of an upgrade - why do it at all? I mean, I wouldn't really care - but it's pointless.

Edited by ben00rs, 19 January 2012 - 03:32 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#38 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:17 AM

Well, my response was directed towards the idea of getting a RW in return...I should have noted that. The point is you want to be stacked on D to go deep in the playoffs and no one should think that because we are winning right now, that anybody not in the lineup is expendable. As for an argument not to trade Greene at all...ok: he is a great price for high quality defense. I know what I get with him and none of the guys you listed are a sure thing to come in and play well. Keeping them of course would cost a pretty penny more than the deal we get for Andy.

All in all if you get one of those guys for Greene, it's not much of an upgrade - why do it at all? I mean, I wouldn't really care - but it's pointless.

Understood. Agree on all points -except-

Either Enstrom or Vish would be a significant upgrade over Greene.

Enstrom is a solid 1A with some potential yet. Vishnovsky is a good 1A with more offense. The True #1 is rare an unavailable.

Both of these guys would immediately bring whoever they are paired with up a level.

Still pipe dreams, as I doubt we have enough to bring either and the cost for keeping them in future years is an issue.

However, since the True Stud #1 is usually never available Lou might have to get creative and come down a half of level to better the defense for a few years until Larsson is ready to inherit the mantle.

Greene on his best day is 4/5 man on a Cup team - regardless of what ice time he's been given.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#39 Guadana

Guadana

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:38 AM

there is some good proverb for that situation

"bestness is an enemy of goodness" (really don`t know how it`s on english)

now we have working mechanism

Last 20 games (14-5-1):
- 61 Goals For, 3.05 G/G
- 12-for-63 on the PP, 19.0%
- 54 Goals Against, 2.70 GA/G

First 25 games (12-12-1):
- 57 Goals For, 2.28 G/G
- 11-for-91 on the PP, 12.1%
- 71 Goals Allowed, 2.84 GA/G

with working PP, for what we put foster

and now SA/G is 27.4(3-4 rank in the league)

why we must to put green in top 6 and change something?
best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#40 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:02 AM

According to the official scorers (for what that's worth), Foster is better than most other current Devil's defensemen in terms of giveaways:
http://www.nhl.com/i...rtssPlayerStats

He doesn't get to pucks he probably would turn over. His coverage below the goal line is abysmal.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 19 January 2012 - 07:08 AM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users