#81 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

Tedenby is a bust. No loss there.

Meh, always kind of sucks when a first-rounder doesn't pan out, even though it's not uncommon. I'm not giving up on him yet, but if I'm the Devils, I definitely plan as though he's not going to be much of a factor at the NHL level...if he does pan out, it will be a pleasant surprise, or at the very least, a trade chip, like Bergfors played just well enough to become.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#82 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Meh, always kind of sucks when a first-rounder doesn't pan out, even though it's not uncommon. I'm not giving up on him yet, but if I'm the Devils, I definitely plan as though he's not going to be much of a factor at the NHL level...if he does pan out, it will be a pleasant surprise, or at the very least, a trade chip, like Bergfors played just well enough to become.

I had hopes for him a couple of years back but after seeing him just waste opportunities, skate in circles, and play "I dont give a damn" hockey, I officially started to really dislike the guy. I really hope he would prove me wrong like how Clarkson has this year, but after pretty much falling off the face of the Earth this year I am just done with him.

#83 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

He's only 22 years old. Yes, he was pretty much useless this year, but some guys have a tough time adjusting and it may just be we're not a good fit for him.

I'd love to see him bust out next year, even if only to drive up his trade value.

It took Gionta (Brian) a bit to get going as well. I'm still holding out hope for Tedenby.

#84 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

He's only 22 years old. Yes, he was pretty much useless this year, but some guys have a tough time adjusting and it may just be we're not a good fit for him.

I'd love to see him bust out next year, even if only to drive up his trade value.

It took Gionta (Brian) a bit to get going as well. I'm still holding out hope for Tedenby.

Gionta at least got a little better each year. Even when he wasn't scoring goals he was at least engaged on the forecheck and could backcheck pretty well too. Can't really say the same for Tedenby.

#85 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

I think Tedenby has really high potential. Sure he needs to bulk up and learn defense but the kid has a combo of hands and speed that doesn't come around often. He easily could take the place of a guy like Sykora in the roster in the future.

I don't know why people are giving up on him already.

#86 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,412 posts

Gionta also had the luxury of playing with a really great team who were a Cup winner his 2nd year. Tedenby was on a bad team last year and didn't get much of a chance this year. He didnt earn it, but I think that both us and he will be in a better position next year to succeed together. If not, we need to ship him out.

#87 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,504 posts

I'm not writing off a guy who has some of the physical tools that Tedenby has at 22. Maybe he never makes it, maybe he really blossoms, nobody knows right now but I do know he can still go in either direction, it's not written in stone that he can't make it.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#88 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

I'm not writing off a guy who has some of the physical tools that Tedenby has at 22. Maybe he never makes it, maybe he really blossoms, nobody knows right now but I do know he can still go in either direction, it's not written in stone that he can't make it.

Pretty accurate...he's a wild card at this point. The good news is the Devils ultimately didn't need him to contribute this season. Good chance they may not need him next year either.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#89 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

IDK I still find it amazing how much of a benefit of a doubt this guy gets for doing so little so far with his opportunities.

#90 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

IMO Tedenby will be an NHL player.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#91 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

IDK I still find it amazing how much of a benefit of a doubt this guy gets for doing so little so far with his opportunities.

Why? He's only 22! Not all guys come out of the gates blazing. This year, he sh!t the bed, but he's a smaller guy and has had problems adjusting to the professional game. He played decently in Albany this season too (20 pts in 35 games).

I find it more amazing that people are so easy to give up on the guy so soon.

Edited by ghdi, 29 May 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#92 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

He was pretty good last year, showed some promise. This year, clearly not. It's not like he's sucked everytime he's been at this level...but can't argue that this wasn't a dreadful season for him...it was.

#30 FOREVER!

#93 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Why? He's only 22! Not all guys come out of the gates blazing. This year, he sh!t the bed, but he's a smaller guy and has had problems adjusting to the professional game. He played decently in Albany this season too (20 pts in 35 games).

I find it more amazing that people are so easy to give up on the guy so soon.

For a supposed NHL-caliber player those AHL numbers do not impress me.

It didn't look like he had trouble adjusting. It looked like he had fundamental flaws in his game that are not exactly easy to fix. He also looked like he was half-assing it for most of the games he was in this year. Hard to teach motivation to a player that doesn't seem to be.

#94 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

It didn't look like he had trouble adjusting. It looked like he had fundamental flaws in his game that are not exactly easy to fix. He also looked like he was half-assing it for most of the games he was in this year. Hard to teach motivation to a player that doesn't seem to be.

Eh, AHL numbers rarely tell the story.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#95 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Eh, AHL numbers rarely tell the story.

And from what I hear from various posters and other sources, he didn't play that well either overall.

#96 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

For the Albany River Rats back in 2004-05:

73 GP, 18 G, 40 A, -11

That player was Zach Parise. I agree that Tedenby's AHL numbers were nothing to crow about, but guys don't always rip up the AHL on the way to successful NHL careers.

#30 FOREVER!

#97 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Considering how badly he did here this season, I'd say its absolutely a positive turnaround and thats all we can really ask for in this respect. I also think DeBoer's system messed with his game a lot and thats part of the reason why he struggled so much and seemingly looked like he didnt give a sh!t.

Its just not automatic for some guys, especially Europeans in a new country.

Edited by ghdi, 29 May 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#98 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

Considering how badly he did here this season, I'd say its absolutely a positive turnaround and thats all we can really ask for in this respect. I also think DeBoer's system messed with his game a lot and thats part of the reason why he struggled so much and seemingly looked like he didnt give a sh!t.
Its just not automatic for some guys, especially Europeans in a new country.

I think you know that statement is silly. If a player cannot adapt to different coaches at least somewhat then he shouldn't be a professional hockey player.

I do hope Tedenby proves me wrong, I just won't hold my breath.

#99 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

I think you know that statement is silly. If a player cannot adapt to different coaches at least somewhat then he shouldn't be a professional hockey player.

I do hope Tedenby proves me wrong, I just won't hold my breath.

Again, he's 22 and has a lot more adjusting to do than a guy coming from the Canadian juniors and such. It's also a matter of who he was paired with and the fact that his size will always work against him.

I agree in one respect, I'm not holding my breath on his success, but its silly to call him a bust right now. He needs to develop his game some more.

#100 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Again, he's 22 and has a lot more adjusting to do than a guy coming from the Canadian juniors and such. It's also a matter of who he was paired with and the fact that his size will always work against him.

I agree in one respect, I'm not holding my breath on his success, but its silly to call him a bust right now. He needs to develop his game some more.

Sign Zuccarello instead. :P
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users