NFL Championship Weekend....

CRASHER

Why the hell is it that every year there's a damned local team still playing in this Final Four Weekend?? Seriously, are the local bars this desperate for bandwagon beer sales?? (yeah they probably are)....and yeah it's a coincidence, but hot damn it's an ANNOYING one and I'm sick and tried of EVERY year saying the same garbage on "why I can't be happy for the local team"....yeah they can go stick it.....anyway, this is the last true football weekend till September, we all know the Super Bowl becomes Sports Entertainment with 5 million awful song and dance acts, the commercials become better then the games, and it's got something to do with EVERYTHING but the goddamn game being played, yeah it's cold it's snowy and I am cranky as hell.....time to get to this!!

AFC Championship:

Baltimore at New England:

How did the Ravens get here?

Well Jacoby Jones helped a LOT....his massive brain farts aside, the Texans really did outplay and beat the Ravens up in the trenches (but Scott, TJ Yates was picked three times....yeah because his team was put in a hole thanks to a moron on special teams and the Texans had to try to be what they ain't...)...and really at that point the Raven defense was able to keep the Texans from making this one interesting last week....hey least Flacco didn't screw it up right???

How did the Patriots get here?

Best record in the AFC and they were gifted a perfect, custom-made opponent....one-dimensional, no passing offense that the Pats were able to beat up and bully Tim Tebow (funny how when he's on one knee reeling in pain and exposed as the no-talent he is, it doesn't get a funny nickname right?).....and yeah that Brady guy tossing only six touchdowns didn't hurt either...the Pats got healthy and prepared and a beatdown ensued for the first playoff win in like 4 years for the Pats....

How do they match-up?

Again it's a strength vs strength and weakness vs weakness here....the Pats offense and the Ravens defense....but the Patriot offense should be able to spread em out and work the weaker Raven secondary and maybe try to exploit the TE match-up against some aging linebackers.....while the Ravens are gonna need to run Ray Rice lots....that didn't work too well for Denver last week....this game is going to be a MAJOR defining moment in Joe Flacco's career as an NFL QB, they have some nice weapons at WR and Rice can catch it like no other....but the Ravens offensive minds....and now the league....they ain't trusting Flacco in the spot (and looking at his playoff numbers over his career I don't blame them).....can Flacco erase the doubts and take them where only Trent Dilfer did before?? (yes that's a dig, NFL Network: No Huddle.....they kept calling him Dilfer with a better arm, here's his chance to prove them right!!)

Who's going to the Super Bowl?

I like the Patriots again to slow down the running game and like they did with Tebow, make him throw and expose them.....and when the Ravens get spread apart, they get exposed and in trouble....no one spreads em out like the Pats do....it's gonna be cold, but clear....which means no one's getting slowed down, so yeah....everything seems to point to me taking the Patriots....but I swear I must have offended the sports Gods again with some hockey based douchebaggery.....so yeah.... excuse me....while I kiss the sky......

WINNER: RAVENS

Game Quality: ***

NFC Championship:

NY Giants at San Francisco:

How the Giants got here:

The only Wild Card team left and the only team to win on the road this playoffs....they got here by mauling an Atlanta team that didn't realize the 17th game of the season mattered.....and a Green Bay team that was still celebrating Christmas....add in a fluke hail mary, and you get one of those teams that just seems to have stuff fall their way.... EVERY TIME....a good pass rush and Eli Manning being one of those jakked up QBs....and you have the formula to win in the NFL now.....

How the 49ers got here:

Guts....heart....talent....will, a total gut-check effort and a coming out party from Alex Smith that Joe Flacco has wet dreams of....yeah the Saints were too aggressive last week, but that's what got them to the show, and they died by it....but still better then out-thinking yourself, and they got a new DC now anyway....the leagues best defense, a top-tier running game in Gore and Hunter, and you get an old school throwback team that plays hard and gutty with defense and special teams play!

How do they match-up?

Pretty much just like they did two months ago.....they ain't changed a bit....the Giants are a bit healthier, but the Niner O-line is getting more seasoned as well.....the Giants should be able to take some deep shots with the threat of a running game definitely in the equation....but it's NFC Title time in San Fran, you KNEW it was gonna be rainy and messy out there....it always is....will this affect the Giants deep threats or the 49er speed defense more? That's gonna be the key to this one.....

Who's going to the Super Bowl?

You know, you can break it down all you want and weigh all the players and personnel and how this and that is supposed to play out, and then David Tyree gets a football stuck to his helmet....or the 1000th time someone catches the Hail Mary.....call it what you want....this Giants team has a flare for stupid luck bordering on the edge of "if this was a video game I'd slam my controller call total bullsh!t and hit the reset button!!!"...but yeah I'm playing the "sports Gods hate me this much" card....I'm sticking to it....two weeks of Manta Chest-Thumping and Giant "fan" frontrunning....yeah that's about as torturous as it can get for me.....

WINNER: GIANTS

Game Quality: **** (flair for the drama too....)

I am typically critical of our offense and of Flacco, but I think he has to put up or shut-up today. I think Flacco comes up huge today and we win this game 31-21 and frustrate Brady. Either Welker, Hernandez or Gronkowski will not finish this game.

I love our Offensive match up against the PATS D. Boldin will be vital today.

Want to give a shout out to Colorado Rockies 1976: Good luck to your team today....but not too much. Looking forward to a great game either way.

Edited by MantaRay

Billy Cundiff is going to be the most unpopular man in that locker room and in Baltimore when they get back. I that it was hilarious when the camera was following him and he blocked it with his hand, poor guy.

I'm a Giants fan so obviously I'm cheering for them but if the 49ers beat them today, then I have no choice but to hope the 49ers beat the Patriots.

Anyone who has followed Cundiff his entire career knew he had no chance at that field goal. Shame it went down to a field goal. Lee Evans caught the ball and didn't protect the ball. Absolutely pathetic job by a veteran WR.

Just another win for the team with a horseshoe so far up their ass.

Edited by devilsrule33

Gotta put some blame on the O.C. and Flacco too on that last drive...You've got a time out and its 2nd and 1. Ray Rice is in the backfield so there is no way a run play shouldn't have been called. Get the first down, call a time out and toss a couple into the endzone the way the 49ers did last week...too often teams go for the tie and get bitten. Also, 3rd and 1 and Flacco has the lane to at least get a first and tossed it to a covered WR?!? Poor football sense...eh, here's hoping for the Niners to do something!!!

Gotta put some blame on the O.C. and Flacco too on that last drive...You've got a time out and its 2nd and 1. Ray Rice is in the backfield so there is no way a run play shouldn't have been called. Get the first down, call a time out and toss a couple into the endzone the way the 49ers did last week...too often teams go for the tie and get bitten. Also, 3rd and 1 and Flacco has the lane to at least get a first and tossed it to a covered WR?!? Poor football sense...eh, here's hoping for the Niners to do something!!!

I did think they took too much time after Boldin got them in easy field goal range, but the bottom line is they had the TD throw. It was a perfect pass to a veteran receiver. And he didn't protect the ball. Then Cundiff shanked it. If they ran it, you call your last timeout, and might be screwed if there is a sack or a false start or what not. Can't see running the ball with that little time left.

Lee Evans caught the ball and didn't protect the ball. Absolutely pathetic job by a veteran WR.

For a few seconds with the ball in Evans hands, I was starting to calculate the cost of going to the Superbowl this year.

Yikes. Heartbreak.

Edited by MantaRay

I agree 10000% Cam Cameron is DONE here. What horrible play calling in the first quarter.

Flacco has to just learn to tuck and run. I saw the first down and cringed as he tried to throw it. Blown opportunity.

I will also NEVER understand why our best pure running back in Ricky Williams only gets a handful of touches.

I did think they took too much time after Boldin got them in easy field goal range, but the bottom line is they had the TD throw. It was a perfect pass to a veteran receiver. And he didn't protect the ball. Then Cundiff shanked it. If they ran it, you call your last timeout, and might be screwed if there is a sack or a false start or what not. Can't see running the ball with that little time left.

Not to make an excuse, because we handed the game to the Pats. But Cundif has been hurt the last four games and even placed on IR for Shane Graham one game towards the end of the season. But he HAS hit the chip shot.

If Wilfork hadn't blown-up that Rice draw on 3rd down knocking the Ravens out of FG range and forcing the 4th down throw-away by Flacco I believe Cammeron would have called a running play.

Ravens lost this game because they didn't make a few plays (drops, missed-FG, sacks, missed tackles, giving up run, etc.) vs. the Patriots making those few plays when they needed it especially on defense.

The Patriots defense was maligned all season but has stepped-up in a huge way on a day when Brady was horrifically inaccurate (obvious when he missed Gronkowski wide-open in the seam on a Ravens blown coverage).

It'll be interesting to see the Patriots offense against the Giants or SF on a very fast track in Indianapolis. People forget that the field in Arizona for SB 42 was indoor grass which typically is slower than outdoor field turf.

Really an awful football day when two teams get into the big game from bonehead plays from the other team. Really big shame how the Williams muff gave the Giants momentum. I didn't see them scoring again. And then in OT. What was he doing on both those plays.

Having said that...I don't see how Alex Smith was ever driving San Fran down the field in OT to score.

NE should have never survived Baltimore either as we have went over. A real sh!tty shame how both games finished.

Edited by devilsrule33

Really an awful football day when two teams get into the big game from bonehead plays from the other team. Really big shame how the Williams muff gave the Giants momentum. I didn't see them scoring again. And then in OT. What was he doing on both those plays.

Having said that...I don't see how Alex Smith was ever driving San Fran down the field in OT to score.

NE should have never survived Baltimore either as we have went over. A real sh!tty shame how both games finished.

There's going to be much focus on Kyle Williams seemingly giving the game to the Giants over these next couple of days.. but the comedy of events for Big Blue doesn't just start there. You could run the theme song from Benny Hill, over these last 2 games the Giants have won.

Between the 8 dropped passes by Green Bay.. 4 fumbles.. an onsides kick at 10-10.. 3 blatant holding calls against the Giants, completely ignored.

Then tonight; Bradshaw's clear fumble, with under 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter (recovered by San Francisco) somehow overlooked.. an oblivious missed false-start by the Giants in OT (on the game-winning drive no less) ..2 game changing interceptions sabotaged by players from the 49ers secondary running into eachother.. THEN, and only then, can you mention Kyle Williams 2 fumbles. As a fan, what should you do other than hysterically laugh? :noclue:

There's going to be much focus on Kyle Williams seemingly giving the game to the Giants over these next couple of days.. but the comedy of events for Big Blue doesn't just start there. You could run the theme song from Benny Hill, over these last 2 games the Giants have won.

Between the 8 dropped passes by Green Bay.. 4 fumbles.. an onsides kick at 10-10.. 3 blatant holding calls against the Giants, completely ignored.

Then tonight; Bradshaw's clear fumble, with under 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter (recovered by San Francisco) somehow overlooked.. an oblivious missed false-start by the Giants in OT (on the game-winning drive no less) ..2 game changing interceptions sabotaged by players from the 49ers secondary running into eachother.. THEN, and only then, can you mention Kyle Williams 2 fumbles. As a fan, what should you do other than hysterically laugh? :noclue:

u're just jelious it wasnt the jets getting the breaks. the giants won. thats all that matters

Agreed. I don't want to ruin any of the fun for the Giants fan here (not that I will), but you hit the nail on the head. Two terrible throws by Eli that were so bad that two 49ers eyes opened so wide thinking they both had it, and both times the big safety flattened the CB.

As for the fumble. It's a tough call. Generally, I like them to blow it down early to stop with the new fad of one guy holding a player up while 3 guys try to strip it, but I have seen that play not blown dead too many times this year.

The 49ers had to win it in regulation. Alex Smith looked nervous and had serious happy feet in the pocket. He was running around on every play near the end even if there wasn't any pressure and was throwing everything into the ground. Granted that is what an excellent pass rush does. Make the QB think of them and not be looking down field. Not that I trust Alex Smith to make many big throws with so much coverage by the Giants.

Just very disappointed how both teams got to the big game. Amazing really.

u're just jelious it wasnt the jets getting the breaks. the giants won. thats all that matters

Damn right I'm jealous! What, you think I'm going to deny that?! :lol: I'd kill for the Jets to get to a Superbowl with that kind of luck. You'd need horseshoes buried up your ass to win these last two games where everything is breaking the right way for you, in the fashion the Giants have. This is a 9-7 team, like many other 9-7 teams, that have been on this Cinderella ride.. and the clock just won't hit midnight.

I marvel over how the stars have aligned for the Giants. It's really remarkable. However, as a fan, I can't respect it.. sorry.

You can call me bitter.. you can call me sour grapes.. just stating my opinion.

Agreed. I don't want to ruin any of the fun for the Giants fan here (not that I will), but you hit the nail on the head. Two terrible throws by Eli that were so bad that two 49ers eyes opened so wide thinking they both had it, and both times the big safety flattened the CB.

Just very disappointed how both teams got to the big game. Amazing really.

It's maddening as a fan, defies all conventional sports logic. Makes you want to just stop watching all-together.

You're trained from the cradle that; "Defense wins Championships!" ..and you have a Superbowl featuring the 28th ranked defense -vs- the 31st?

I's like bizarro world. Nothing makes sense.

Gilbride almost gave the game away, calling long developing plays in the second half. No idea why you decide to stop chipping away underneath.

Spare me..

..this upcoming Superbowl will be the 4th Championship game this man has OC'd since 2008, and I've never seen such questioning and disrespect from Giants fans over a coach in my life.

I'd happily take Gilbride to call my plays on offense.

Edited by Beezer34

I've given Gilbride credit before, I thought it was kind of obvious that the deep ball wasn't there in the second half.

To the 'defense wins championships', you really can't look at the regular season body of work. The defense of the Giants has really came to life in the playoffs and is without a doubt making a difference.

37 points allowed in three games? Huge.

Spare me..

..this upcoming Superbowl will be the 4th Championship game this man has OC'd since 2008, and I've never seen such questioning and disrespect from Giants fans over a coach in my life.

now THAT i agree with. 2 superbowl appearences as oc, and giants fans kill him

now THAT i agree with. 2 superbowl appearences as oc, and giants fans kill him

3 Division Titles.. 1 Superbowl.. 2 Conference Championships.. a Top 10 offense every single season.. and according to Giant fans, it's all in-spite of him. :rolleyes:

Please... there were at least 3 - if not twice that many - missed holds on the GB offensive line. And how can you forget the BS reversed Jennings fumble and the non-existent head contact penalty against Osi? GTFOOH. If anyone should be complaining against the officiating in the GB game, it's the Giants.

Spare me..

I hated Gilbride earlier in his Giants career, but he really has evolved with such a great, great QB in Manning and an always quality WR's corp of unknowns.

Tip of the cap to Gilbride as he has helped make the Giants a powerful and dynamic offense without the help of a running game.

Also, whoever the WR coach is turns out GOLD.

I agree 10000% Cam Cameron is DONE here. What horrible play calling in the first quarter.

Flacco has to just learn to tuck and run. I saw the first down and cringed as he tried to throw it. Blown opportunity.

I will also NEVER understand why our best pure running back in Ricky Williams only gets a handful of touches.

Not to make an excuse, because we handed the game to the Pats. But Cundif has been hurt the last four games and even placed on IR for Shane Graham one game towards the end of the season. But he HAS hit the chip shot.

Moore made a big play...he deserves credit for knocking the ball away. Cundiff was as baffling as it gets, but he only would've tied it up...who knows?

Brady pick #2 was the dumbest play of the game...there was no reason for that. And it almost bit them in the ass, big time.

Definitely a tough loss for a Ravens' fan...they were one knocked-out ball away from winning the game. The fact that the game came down to one play didn't surprise me one bit.

You're trained from the cradle that; "Defense wins Championships!" ..and you have a Superbowl featuring the 28th ranked defense -vs- the 31st?

I's like bizarro world. Nothing makes sense.

You can't be so simplistic when looking at defensive rankings, especially when they take only one number into account...yards allowed. Pats were middle-of-the-pack in points allowed for the season. And the Giants D has been coming together at the right time.

As for this SB matchup...it's a bad one for the Pats...I'm a little surprised they're the favorites. The Pats' D has been pretty good overall in the two playoff games, but Eli is a big step up from Tebow and Flacco, and the Giants have already beaten them in the big one before, as well as this year...there's been a lot of roster turnover since 2007 (only 7 Pats remain from that team), but these Giants are very dangerous, on both sides.