97 replies to this topic

#41 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

He should have just gone and avoided all of this, but the media is really blowing it out of proportion. Lots of players have missed these things and there's never any mention of it.

Can you name one player that has skipped a White House visit purely on political grounds? The bigger issue was his ridiculous posturing/statement that he made which was entirely political, which he ended with "Its not political".

And the media has made a big deal about this before. James Harrison didnt go to the first Steelers visit with Bush, his reasoning was that he didnt want to. He didnt go again when Obama was President either and used the same excuse.

#42 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

I really don't get how meeting Obama and participating in a team function equates with supporting him or the government. It's not like Obama doesn't meet with and host Republicans who don't agree with his agenda every day.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#43 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

He should have just gone and avoided all of this, but the media is really blowing it out of proportion. Lots of players have missed these things and there's never any mention of it.

I can't remember a previous instance where the player went out of his way to make a political statement about it though. He could have privately told his coach/gm why he wasn't going and then publicly said he needed rest, recovering from a minor injury, wanted to spend the time off with his family or just stayed quiet. By making a political point about it he deserves all the attention that goes along with it, good or bad.

#44 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Incredible pictures. Incredible hair.

he looks like a blond "stoney curtis" from the flintstones cartoon

Edited by EdgeControl, 24 January 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#45 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

Can you name one player that has skipped a White House visit purely on political grounds? The bigger issue was his ridiculous posturing/statement that he made which was entirely political, which he ended with "Its not political".

And the media has made a big deal about this before. James Harrison didnt go to the first Steelers visit with Bush, his reasoning was that he didnt want to. He didnt go again when Obama was President either and used the same excuse.

No, I can't name one because usually it's a non-issue. He was asked why he didn't go and he answered the question. If that's the way he feels about it, fine. Personally, if I were in that situation I'd go to the White House and enjoy the honor. He just didn't feel that way.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#46 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Going to see the President after winning a championship has nothing to do with politics.. It's about being invited to the White House and having your day to be recognized by an important figure for a great achievement.. He made it a political issue and just looks like a real goober now.. Congrats Timmy, you made a stand about nothing and felt important

I just think its funny how my Republican Facebook friends are applauding him, when I know they'd be yelling about how "unpatriotic" this would be if their guy was in power
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#47 dmon2010

dmon2010

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

TT is entitled to his beliefs and opinions, and it doesn't really matter if anyone agrees or disagrees with him on his views.

That being said, I believe it was the Boston Bruins (as a TEAM, and not as individuals) that won the Stanley Cup and were therefore invited to the White House and I think it was pretty petty on TT's part not to go.

I think it would have made more of a statement if he HAD gone and voiced his opinion in a respectful manner (which would have also been "balls-ier" imo), while still supporting his teammates and organization in general.

I'm not a big fan of the whole "I don't wanna go and you can't make me!" thing he had going on.

Then again, that's just my POV...

Edited by dmon2010, 24 January 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#48 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

He is free to do as he pleases. However the invite had nothing to do with politics, it was to celebrate the team. Thomas made it political. Bush had some of the lowest approval ratings of all time, and still players sucked it up and kept their mouth shut.

Ill say this though, if the Caps win the cup, it would be funny if they all declined, since Obama has yet to attend a game. Wizards, Redskins, Nationals have earned presidential attendance, but not the Caps.
Posted Image Posted Image

#49 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

TT is entitled to his beliefs and opinions, and it doesn't really matter if anyone agrees or disagrees with him on his views.

That being said, I believe it was the Boston Bruins (as a TEAM, and not as individuals) that won the Stanley Cup and were therefore invited to the White House and I think it was pretty petty on TT's part not to go.

I think it would have made more of a statement if he HAD gone and voiced his opinion in a respectful manner (which would have also been "balls-ier" imo), while still supporting his teammates and organization in general.

I'm not a big fan of the whole "I don't wanna go and you can't make me!" thing he had going on.

Then again, that's just my POV...

Yeah I'd say this is exactly how I view it
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#50 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

I just think its funny how my Republican Facebook friends are applauding him, when I know they'd be yelling about how "unpatriotic" this would be if their guy was in power

How does patriotism come into play here?
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#51 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

I demand we see Tim's birth certificate, we don't even know for sure if he's an American !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#52 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Dan Hampton skipped for political reasons. Mark Chmura skipped for moral reasons. Rasheed Wallace skipped for political reasons.

Theo Epsteim apparently as well, although I can only see references that it was political, no direct statement.

There are probably more, that's just a quick list.

Edited by Devils731, 24 January 2012 - 01:40 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#53 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

Mark Chmura skipped for moral reasons.

Chmura skipped because he didnt respect Bill Clinton and is a staunch Republican and used the Lewinsky scandal to leverage his decision in public, whereas since, hes stated he didnt go because Clinton is a democrat. Mark Chmura and morals lol.

So yea, there is precedent here, I completely forgot about Sheed too.

Edited by ghdi, 24 January 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#54 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

So let me get this straight...........he doesn't go so he's now a "racist"?

Is that correct? You actually made that leap?

You were waiting for someone to pull this one out of the hat weren't you :uni: go on - admit it!

That was my first thought - I have to be honest "what? dont want to shake a black man's hand?"

And it is Boston we're talking about. Anyone here ever lived there? One of my friends accidentally walked into the wrong neighborhood. He was going to school up there - he was from Alabama. He sounded like a real cracker if you had your eyes shut. He was one of THE NICEST people I've ever known. and he was 18 - he looked grown up but he was such a little boy, so over-protected. He was shocked SHOCKED when he got jumped! I'll never forget as he told us the story -he leaned his back against the wall and slid slowly to the ground and burst into tears when he realized he got back to school safe and sound. but I digress -

anyhow - I know a LOT of psyco-morons in my neighborhood who would be that --- I can't even say dumb -- I have no words for people like that. Of course I dont think Thomas is ...

but you never know...

...I'm just sayin'

I'm here for the party

#55 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

How does patriotism come into play here?

The Bruins are not being honored by Obama as an individual. They are being honored by the United States of America as represented by the President.
Posted Image

#56 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

There are situations in which you are expected to act a representative of the organization to which you belong, regardless of your individual beliefs or opinions. Frankly I don't care that Thomas didn't go. The problem is that he insulted his team by using this opportunity to make an individual statement.
Posted Image

#57 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

Just ignore Jimmy, he's "special" when it comes to politics.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#58 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

i completely agree with everything Thomas said, 100%. but listen, Obama wasn't asking for his support in the direction this country's going. Our President wanted to congratulate the team, on behalf of the country, for the stanley cup victory.

Thomas is trying to make a stand and get people to pay attention to it, but it just looks worse than he thought it would.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#59 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

i completely agree with everything Thomas said, 100%. but listen, Obama wasn't asking for his support in the direction this country's going. Our President wanted to congratulate the team, on behalf of the country, for the stanley cup victory.

Thomas is trying to make a stand and get people to pay attention to it, but it just looks worse than he thought it would.

And much as I don't agree with his stand, he took an opportunity he earned by winning the Stanley Cup. Good for him having the balls to do it. That's what freedom is. If the Bruins had a problem with it, that's a different story, but it sounded like Chara didn't give a sh!t, and Chiarelli and Neely each chose not to stop him, even though they could have.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#60 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

I asked the following:

1) Why is it racist as one poster alleged.........no answer.

2) Why is it "unpatriotic"...........

I never proffered an opinion as to whether this was good or not, yet I get a snide comment directed at me unwarranted.

Another brave keyboard typer.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users