156 replies to this topic

#141 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

In the last three games -- all losses -- the Devils have outshot their opponents 90-59. Puck luck is a bitch.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#142 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

In the last three games -- all losses -- the Devils have outshot their opponents 90-59. Puck luck is a bitch.

So that means just "shooting the puck" (like everyone loves to yell at games) isnt always the great idea... sometimes its about quality of shots not quantity
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#143 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

Bottom line: We make the playoffs as 8th seed and lose 4-1 to Rags or Bruins, I'm happy.

Next year: We come back with or without Zach, maybe a top line D. Make the playoffs, get to 2nd round. Lose. I'm happy.

Year after that: We make the playoffs, get to ECF, maybe Stanley Cup, hopefully win, I'm happy.

Pens, Hawks, Bruins: that seems to be the going pattern in recent years.

I'm in no way getting it in my head that we'll make or win the SCF this year or even make waves in the playoffs.
This year, with this team, a playoff berth is the highest hope we can have. Be happy with that.

Now if you'll excuse me, Teen Mom 2 is on.

Agreed on all fronts (except Teen Mom 2 :P). I don't remember who, but someone on the board said within the past couple of days that we keep forgetting this isn't the same team is was 5-10 years ago. We've become so used to seeing the Devs win (and handily) that we don't really know how to handle a team that isn't among the league's elite.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#144 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

So that means just "shooting the puck" (like everyone loves to yell at games) isnt always the great idea... sometimes its about quality of shots not quantity

The quality has looked pretty good to me. Miller, Bryz and Thomas all had several moments of sheer robbery.

The other part of that number is that the defense hasn't been allowing many shots, either. Salvador, in particular, has been pretty outstanding for a very long stretch here. Larsson seems to be regaining some of his cool as well.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#145 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

disappointing and frustrating games for the Devs, at least they got 1 pt. the net has become small since the jets game outburst. deboer is looking for ways to jet kovy and zach going, these two need to carry us if we are going to stay in contention (obvious)

the double shift with the 4th hasnt developed into any real kovy freelance oppertunities, imo. it just tires him out and he loses legs at the end of his reg shift. hopefully this break will allow some juggling ideas. how how we get zach the puck? we've been somewhat successful in springing him at times but few sustained possession chances

Defense is in constant flux, like the play of A-train and bryce, larson has been solid except for the occasional WTF pass in his end. there were two or three yesterday. harrold for his few mins looks like a poor mans andy green. when compared to our long lanky slow guys

beat the rangers and isles and we will be right there for a PO spot, dont and we'll fade away

#146 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

Agreed on all fronts (except Teen Mom 2 :P). I don't remember who, but someone on the board said within the past couple of days that we keep forgetting this isn't the same team is was 5-10 years ago. We've become so used to seeing the Devs win (and handily) that we don't really know how to handle a team that isn't among the league's elite.

But that's just it, the Devils haven't been a truly elite team since 2003, except maybe in 2008-09. I don't know what team they've been watching for the last 5 years.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#147 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

But that's just it, the Devils haven't been a truly elite team since 2003, except maybe in 2008-09. I don't know what team they've been watching for the last 5 years.

Well, I think a lot of us have been holding on to those memories and it's finally starting to sink in that those days are over. The litany of excuses for their poor performance over the years, especially in the playoffs, shows that many Devils fans -- myself included at times -- still considered them an elite team.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#148 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Just watched the replay of the game, looks to me as if Ryan Miller stole this one... sucks but what can we do? At least we got a point, I guess.

#149 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

Well, I think a lot of us have been holding on to those memories and it's finally starting to sink in that those days are over. The litany of excuses for their poor performance over the years, especially in the playoffs, shows that many Devils fans -- myself included at times -- still considered them an elite team.

Well, the Devils have gotten some rotten breaks in the playoffs lately - I won't argue that. Nor will I argue that I thought the Devils could be a top 10 team in the league this year (I ranked them #9 coming into the season). But injuries and some poor play has made that unlikely. Still, it's not an elite team - it's got an okay offense, a good defense, and mediocre-to-bad goaltending.

#150 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

Well, the Devils have gotten some rotten breaks in the playoffs lately - I won't argue that. Nor will I argue that I thought the Devils could be a top 10 team in the league this year (I ranked them #9 coming into the season). But injuries and some poor play has made that unlikely. Still, it's not an elite team - it's got an okay offense, a good defense, and mediocre-to-bad goaltending.

lol 9th, no wonder you were arguing they were an elite team after four games. I had them eighth in the EAST, behind Boston, Washington, Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo (who was supposed to be a contender with all their additions before it blew up after Lucic ran into Miller), Tampa (after Guy Boucher was supposed to have revolutionized hockey last year) and the Rangers.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#151 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Ohhhhh a ranger fan is calling you out ScoreMore

20 bucks says the Devils make the playoffs.

You're on. $20.

When we do make the playoffs, you will be the first one celebrating on here saying how you knew it was going to happen and we are taking the cup. Just stop.

I hope they do. I don't want them not to. I just don't think they're gonna. You have...NYR,BOS,SENS,FLYERS,CAPS,PENS,LEAFS,PANTHERS ...those are a lot of teams w/ good players who are a tad bit hotter than us at the moment.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#152 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

lol 9th, no wonder you were arguing they were an elite team after four games. I had them eighth in the EAST, behind Boston, Washington, Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo (who was supposed to be a contender with all their additions before it blew up after Lucic ran into Miller), Tampa (after Guy Boucher was supposed to have revolutionized hockey last year) and the Rangers.

There's no way that Buffalo should've been a contender after their additions. I didn't think they'd be this bad, but they are not good, nor should they have been expected to be particularly good.

#153 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

I think after last night I'd like to see Miller in a Devils jersey.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#154 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

No penalty on that one for Parise!? Seriously?

Ref blew that one. Should have been a penalty shot. He was knocked down and denied a "reasonable scoring chance"

Not that Miller wouldn't have stopped the shot anyway...:rolleyes:

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#155 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

I think after last night I'd like to see Miller in a Devils jersey.

I've had a soft spot for Miller ever since the Olympics

#156 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

You're on. $20.

I hope they do. I don't want them not to. I just don't think they're gonna. You have...NYR,BOS,SENS,FLYERS,CAPS,PENS,LEAFS,PANTHERS ...those are a lot of teams w/ good players who are a tad bit hotter than us at the moment.

half way through the season.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#157 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Anyone get a pic of Kovy lying down on the boards by the benches?? He was waiting to come off the bench and someone wouldn't come off the ice, so he as just laying there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users