790 replies to this topic

#741 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

If they offer him the most money, do you really think he'll care? And that's not knocking Zach...he'll get a chance to play in a lot of full houses, in New York, in front of a goalie who's very much in his prime, on a team that looks like it should be relevant for a while. That might appeal to him.

I think he would care. Alot of teams will offer him a lot of dough, not just the rags. He doesn't seem like a highest-bidder guy, ESP at the cost of going to your fans' most hated rival. The only way I'd see him going to the rags was if they were far and away the highest bidder and made him one of the richest players in the world. Otherwise, all things even, zp recognizes what signing w the rags would mean. Btw, it's disturbing hearing a devils fan lavish praise on that organization so easily.

Edited by devlman, 27 February 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#742 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

I can't believe Howson came out and said that Nash asked out.

Good luck ever getting an offer for Nash that's even close to what the Rangers supposedly offered today.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#743 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

I can't believe Howson came out and said that Nash asked out.

Good luck ever getting an offer for Nash that's even close to what the Rangers supposedly offered today.

Has it been leaked yet whatever that supposed offer was?

#744 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

Columbus GM Scott Howson rejected what is believed a Rangers' final offer of Dubinsky, 21-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon, 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller, 2010 second-rounder Christian Thomas and a first-round selection in this June's Entry Draft.

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...N#ixzz1nccKYRd2
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#745 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

It has nothing to do with sharing spotlights or losing minutes. With the Rangers he gets to play for a good team with packed house every night whose finances are in much much better shape than the Devils' will ever be save for Mark Zuckerberg buying the team.

Really I think the thing that perhaps stops it is the Rangers, and especially Sather's, awful track record with signing ex-Devils to big contracts.

Totally missed what I was trying to say.

If we're being honest, no one here has any clue what Parise's looking for, be it a spotlight, chance to win, money, a toilet made of gold, whatever. I just think it's funny that, one day, people will think Parise sharing the spotlight will make him want to leave because it fits the "sky is falling" theory of the day. The next day, people will think Parise will happily share the spotlight with Sather's flavor of the week because it fits the "sky is falling" theory of the day.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#746 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Brooks says it was Dubinsky, Tim Erixon, J.T. Miller, Christian Thomas, and a 1st round pick. I don't believe that Columbus would pass on such an offer.

Okay well someone beat me to it, but still, Howson's hands were tied and he's no doubt going to be fired at the end of the year, so why not spread some of the hatred out.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#747 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Columbus GM Scott Howson rejected what is believed a Rangers' final offer of Dubinsky, 21-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon, 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller, 2010 second-rounder Christian Thomas and a first-round selection in this June's Entry Draft.

HAHAHAHAH TYPICAL BROOKS!!

Tri called in the chat that Brooks would be the one to leak it.

I'm surprised Sather didn't outright say it at a presser right after the deadline.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#748 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Totally missed what I was trying to say.

If we're being honest, no one here has any clue what Parise's looking for, be it a spotlight, chance to win, money, a toilet made of gold, whatever. I just think it's funny that, one day, people will think Parise sharing the spotlight will make him want to leave because it fits the "sky is falling" theory of the day. The next day, people will think Parise will happily share the spotlight with Sather's flavor of the week because it fits the "sky is falling" theory of the day.

My sky is falling theories are always consistent.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#749 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Thanks.

#750 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

re: parise - someone saying 20 teams will have cap room is correct but the list gets whittled down very quick when you consider what it will likely take to land parise:

good team
at least $7MM in cap room
ability to max out signing bonus before lockout
location/familiarity

in my mind, here are his teams: NJD, NYR, CHI, MIN, DET

a team like LA or PHI or perhaps SJ, VAN and maybe TOR are considered if the top tier don't meet his needs.

i have no doubt that if the devils can pay him, he stays. its whether the devils can pay him (or even want to beyond something reasonable which would be 7/52) that i have my doubts.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#751 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

If the rangers don't have a deep playoff run, you can almost gaurantee that they will trade for him at the draft. They tried to get richards last deadline, didn't get it done in the playoffs and signed him in free agency. I hope that's not the case cuz I like Nash as a player and would like to continue liking him.

#752 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

So, I decided to test the accuracy on the Incarcerated Bob stuff since a few of us were discussing it throughout this thread.

... These are his rumors and breaking news (NHL related) from Sunday on...

Nash to Rangers DONE DEAL ---> went on to claim it was a 'reverse jinx' when it seemed obvious Nash wouldn't be traded and that he said it to mess with Ranger fans, then when it looked like the Rangers would be back in midday today, he claimed the 'reverse jinx' was a 'reverse jinx' to fool Ranger fans again. :blink:

Nabokov/Khabibulin/Bishop to Toronto ---> Bishop to Ottawa

Harding to Toronto ---> nothing

Pahlsson has been traded ---> common knowledge he was a probable move, Bob never gave a destination

Schenn to be traded "may already be done" ---> nothing

Kostitsyn has been traded ---> see Pahlsson

Grabovski to Wings/Hawks/Sharks ---> nothing

Roy to Wings/Canucks/Blues ---> nothing

Oduya, Allen, Hamrlik to Boston ---> Oduya to Chicago

Malone to Boston ---> Nothing

Allen has been traded ---> Allen wasn't traded.

Gaustad has been traded ---> see Pahlsson, Kostitsyn

Parenteau to Flames ---> nothing

Ott or Roy to Van/Phi/Det/Stl ---> nothing

Oduya has been traded ---> see Pahlsson, Kostitsyn, Gaustad

Spacek has been traded ---> Spacek wasn't traded

Ott to Bos/Phi/Det/Was ---> nothing

Claimed Schenn/Gustavson/pick to LA for Bernier/Brown/pick ---> All names that were involved in rumors for weeks. No evidence it ever was offered. No one else mentioned it.

If we score it Win-Loss-BlindSquirrelsFindNutsToo

0-14-4.

If you give him the 'blank has been traded' stuff, he has 4 hits, 14 misses or 4 of 18 for 20% if you are REAL generous.

Looks like he isn't much better than Ecklund.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#753 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

re: parise - someone saying 20 teams will have cap room is correct but the list gets whittled down very quick when you consider what it will likely take to land parise:

good team
at least $7MM in cap room
ability to max out signing bonus before lockout
location/familiarity

in my mind, here are his teams: NJD, NYR, CHI, MIN, DET

a team like LA or PHI or perhaps SJ, VAN and maybe TOR are considered if the top tier don't meet his needs.

i have no doubt that if the devils can pay him, he stays. its whether the devils can pay him (or even want to beyond something reasonable which would be 7/52) that i have my doubts.

Even though Parise had consecutive seasons of being more than a ppg player, this year he's not been quite there, so I really doubt someone will give him almost $7.5M per season. He obviously brings a lot more than just point production, but anything more than $7M per is a bit too much for him imo. I think that something more like 7/45-48 is more the right price and I think anything more than 7 years is a bit too long since it would allow for one more contract to be signed while avoiding the 35+ contract issues.

#754 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

So, I decided to test the accuracy on the Incarcerated Bob stuff since a few of us were discussing it throughout this thread.

... These are his rumors and breaking news (NHL related) from Sunday on...

You had your count, now here's mine. I'm only counting what he did on deadline day itself, and I'm only counting things that he said were done, not rumors. He's a rumor monkey, so taking something labeled as a rumor seriously is a fool's errand. My point with whatever credibility he may or may not have had yesterday was that if you only looked at the deals he said were done, odds were in favor of it being true:

- Pahlsson traded --> correct

- Kostitsyn traded --> correct

- Gaustad traded --> correct

- Oduya traded --> correct

- Spacek traded --> incorrect

- Allen traded --> incorrect

Anything else he said was just rumors. Even with the "blockbuster", he said a couple times "if it goes through" and things like that. Never said it was done.

And as for discounting them because it was "common knowledge he was a probable move", you coulda said that about literally dozens of guys yesterday. Guys he didn't list as being done deals:

- Rick Nash
- Josh Harding
- Derek Roy
- J.S. Giguere
- Dustin Brown
- Dwayne Roloson
- Randy Jones
- Jeff Erskine
- Steve Ott
- Mike Knuble
- Luke Schenn
- Mikael Samuelsson
- Nikolai Khabibulin
- Brandon Dubinsky
- Jason Garrison
- Antti Niemi
- P.A. Parenteau
- David Jones
- Al Montoya

All of those names (and more I'm sure) were mentioned at some point as players likely to be traded. But he didn't name any of them yesterday. He named six guys as having been dealt, and four of them were. If you only looked at the deals he said were done, odds were in favor of it being true.

And as for discounting him because he never gave the destination ... that's not his game. Being first is his game. It's Twitter. Even Bob McKenzie doesn't initially give all info in his first tweet because it's Twitter. But he gave the "So-and-so has been dealt" tweet before anyone else, and if you only looked at the deals he said were done, odds were in favor of it being true.

Like it or not, he called four-of-six trades before anyone else. I feel kinda dirty for defending him because he really comes off as a douchebag and, in the end, he's just another rumor peddler. But 4-for-6 stands out to me. That's way better than just picking names out of a hat. I'll be watching his tweets on July 1. If he pulls an 0-for, then he'll look like the fraud so many are so eager to say he is (BTW, why is it so personal with this guy? Mention his name and people act like he fvcked their wives. He's just some douche on Twitter.). But if he bats above-.500 again, I'll be impressed. Again.

Either way, he was one of the more entertaining aspects of this year's Deadline Day. Discussing his credibility -- of lack thereof -- was one of the few things going on. He entertains me. I can understand why he doesn't entertain everyone.

Buy the ticket, take the ride ...
Posted Image

#755 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

DIG: Those were the 6 most likely players to move. I could have said that those players were going to be traded. And I would've gotten 4 out of 6 right.

#756 daneyko_booster

daneyko_booster

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

He doesn't seem like a highest-bidder guy, ESP at the cost of going to your fans' most hated rival.

Parise, and all professional athletes, don't give a flying fvck what the fans think about where he signs next year. They are professionals playing for money and a chance to win a championship. Different athletes will value those two factors differently, but those are the two biggest concerns, with money coming first. Fans who fervently believe in the hometown discount are just engaging in wishful thinking, projecting their sentimentalism onto the athletes. And before someone says what about Brodeur, his staying for slightly less money than he could have received elsewhere doesn't count; as he said, whatever extra he may have made he would have lost to the agent finding and negotiating the deal.

My favourite rejoinder came from Ozzie Guillen's expletive-filled parting shot at the fans when he left Chicago. Athletes think far more along these lines than any sense of loyalty to the team that signs their paycheques:
http://www.suntimes....eping-boat.html

Btw, it's disturbing hearing a devils fan lavish praise on that organization so easily.

Everything said about the Rangers was true. They are a damn good team this year, with the best goalie in the league, playing hard-nosed tight-checking grind it out hockey. Of course I hate losing to them more than any other team, but finding someone's recognition of the strength of their team disturbing is foolish.
Official Keeper of Ken Daneyko's missing teeth, Jeff Friesen's moustache, Shanahan's Pub in the CAA concourse (only place you could buy Guinness). Unofficial Keeper of Wayne Gretzky's perm.

#757 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

DIG: Those were the 6 most likely players to move. I could have said that those players were going to be traded. And I would've gotten 4 out of 6 right.

Find me someone -- anyone -- saying before the deadline that those six guys were the six most likely players to move, then I'll happily admit to being wrong. Until then, all I see are people saying those were the most obvious moves after all moves were made. Hindsight, 20/20, so on and so forth.
Posted Image

#758 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

Find me someone -- anyone -- saying before the deadline that those six guys were the six most likely players to move, then I'll happily admit to being wrong. Until then, all I see are people saying those were the most obvious moves after all moves were made. Hindsight, 20/20, so on and so forth.

Really? You've got 5 guys there who were UFAs on teams way outside the playoff picture, and the 6th guy was rumored by Lebrun and McKenzie to be in play.

#759 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Exactly. It's like Crossing Over with John Edward. It's educated guesses. Not only did he not have destinations, he NEVER mentioned where the players were going OR if the trade ever actually happened. He just said 'Kostitsyn has been traded'. Then, when he got traded, he said 'OH I HAD THIS 2 HOURS AGO!' or whatever. Kostitsyn has been on the way out since he was put on the 4th line in October. It was a pretty good guess he'd be on the move.

When everyone else said 'Oduya is in play', Inc Bob said 'Oduya has been traded!' around 1pm. Shot in the dark. Once they picked up Clitsome, Oduya getting moved was nearly a definite. So then when he DID get traded (around 2:15), he claimed he called that one, too.

He claimed Spacek and Allen were traded when it was reported that they left practice early. He took a shot in the dark and he was wrong.

As for Rick Nash, he called it a DONE DEAL Sunday! Then he got caught in a lie and claimed he made it up to mess with Ranger fans. Then, with 15 minutes to go in the deadline, he said "BIG DEAL COMING" with hopes a big deal would go down. Nothing happened, so he just said oh Toronto and LA had a big one coming but Burke backed off.

He's known for calling the Asumugha to Jets an absolute done deal last summer, and both sides said they never really even got close.

As for July 1st, my guess is he'll just say 'so and so has signed! waiting for league approval' and other vague things.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#760 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Parise, and all professional athletes, don't give a flying fvck what the fans think about where he signs next year. They are professionals playing for money and a chance to win a championship. Different athletes will value those two factors differently, but those are the two biggest concerns, with money coming first. Fans who fervently believe in the hometown discount are just engaging in wishful thinking, projecting their sentimentalism onto the athletes. And before someone says what about Brodeur, his staying for slightly less money than he could have received elsewhere doesn't count; as he said, whatever extra he may have made he would have lost to the agent finding and negotiating the deal.

I think you're too cynical vis-a-via Marty. What Marty could have gotten on the open market all these years minus an agent's cut would still be significantly more than what he made from us. You said it yourself, athletes care about winning and money but in different ratios, Marty took a discount here because he cared a lot more about winning and stability than money.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users