28 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

You can get a rental for pretty cheap from a non-playoff team if need be. I think Atlanta got Tkachuk from STL for like a pick and a prospect in 06-07.

lol no. tkachuk was traded for 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. st. louis ended up trading back the 1st to get the rights to tkachuk over the summer, but keith tkachuk was the opposite of a cheap rental, and that decision is part of why winnipeg will probably finish out of the playoffs this year.

with the devils all set to surrender a 1st round pick in the coming years, they can't afford to be trading one this year. nor do there figure to be many rentals of this variety around.

Edited by Triumph, 27 January 2012 - 01:15 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

THE DEFENSE:
Although Henrik Tallinder is out for six to eight weeks with a blood clot in his lower left leg, Lamoriello said after making the Ponikarovsky trade that he likes his defense...

Psst! Lou! Ponikarovsky is a forward!
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#23 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Psst! Lou! Ponikarovsky is a forward!

Psst! Forwards play defense, too. ;-)

As for Lou's comments, I can't say I'm entirely surprised. He probably got those same questions asked a hundred times already. At this point, its an answering machine that you are hearing from. Lol.
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#24 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

lol no. tkachuk was traded for 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. st. louis ended up trading back the 1st to get the rights to tkachuk over the summer, but keith tkachuk was the opposite of a cheap rental, and that decision is part of why winnipeg will probably finish out of the playoffs this year.

with the devils all set to surrender a 1st round pick in the coming years, they can't afford to be trading one this year. nor do there figure to be many rentals of this variety around.

You just keep thinkin', Tri. That's what you're good at.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#25 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

THE DEFENSE:
Although Henrik Tallinder is out for six to eight weeks with a blood clot in his lower left leg, Lamoriello said after making the Ponikarovsky trade that he likes his defense and thinks it should be fine after Andy Greene returns from a broken bone and big toe in his left point at some point after the all-star break. (He’s on schedule to return to practice with the team on Monday).

He didn’t dismiss the idea of trading for help on defense, though, when I asked him about it again this week.

“It should be fine,” Lamoriello said. “If we can get better, we will.”

Kind of sums up Tallinder as a FA acquisition. Yeah, he's gone for the year, but we should be OK, after all we have an 18 YO rookie and a 2nd year 5th rounder back there to carry us!

#26 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

The Devils as a team have huge holes in basically every position except LW. We have a goaltender who is in the very twilight of his career and a backup who is starting to enter that phase. We have a mediocre defense that could use a little toughening up. We have centers that are decent to good, but on Cup-competing teams Zajac would be a 2nd line center. Finally, just do not get me started on our RW.

Honestly, seeing Parise go even if for nothing in return might be a blessing. It would free up some space to sign other players to help fill some of the gaps. Even better would be to possible trade him before the deadline or his rights before July 1st and possible get some good picks in there.

I do like Parise and think he is a great player and all that jazz, but honestly we haven't done too much with him and he does tend to sink a little in the playoffs.

#27 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

This team would not in the playoffs currently were it not for shootout wins, it's just not that good.

A hugely important decision is going to be made soon regarding the direction of this franchise. I don't have enough info regarding

1. Ownership finances
2. Trade Offers for Parise
3. What Parise wants to sign now (if that's even doable)

to make an intelligent argument for or against trading Parise, but keeping him then losing him could potentially spell a return to the bottom of the Eastern Conference for the next 3 years (especially since the team loses a 1st). This isn't like losing Gomez or Rafalski. It could be truly fatal.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 27 January 2012 - 05:43 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#28 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

well i mean... i "think" its safe to say that the situation is sh!tty now but the owner and management will get it back up and running in the next few months year...

we will still need to spend cash on the players... so IMO... Lou can always present a contract like the one Kovy got where the 2 first years are lower in salary then go higher... so as long as the cap hit is okay... and lets say its impossible due to our financial problem to get zach to a 7cap hit... im pretty sure Lou would rather trade Zubrus or wtv or dont resign Brodeur instead of letting Zach go just because of this "problem of the moment" you can always work the contract so that it goes around it for now and get things going after... it buys you time

i may be wrong but still not as if they will have to add 80millions next season for zach... they'll still have to pay around the top cap

www.SterioDesign.com

#29 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

This team would not in the playoffs currently were it not for shootout wins, it's just not that good.

Since the Devils stopped getting shootout wins as often this has become less true.

The Devils have 1 less ROW than Florida and only 3 teams behind the Devils have more ROW.

Devils only have 2 shootout wins more than Florida and 3 more than Boston.

The Devils going from 8-2 in the shootout to 5-5 is only a 3 point swing, it's not the massive difference I think people want to make it out to be. Is Florida more deserving of the playoffs because they have 11 loser points to the Devils 3 but 1 extra ROW?
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users