Photo

would a third Jersey boost team revenue?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

I know there is no chance at getting a third Jersey with Lou around, but from a marketing standpoint, would it boost revenue for the teams $80 million debt? Maybe it wouldn't make a huge , and maybe it wouldn't be worth the trouble. I'm just curious on your opinions. I for one would welcome some visual change.
Posted Image Deb Placey (unofficial)
Posted Image

#2 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

I'm not even joking when I say I wondered the exact same thing just the other day. My question would be how would the costs offset sales. [Obviously, I wasn't an economics major]

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#3 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

It's an interesting discussion, but think of it this way. It's a one time bump, and with all of the hands in the till, I'm sure it's not that mega of a bump to the team.

#4 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

I'm not saying anyone is going to sell $80 million worth of Jerseys, but it might spark some change.
Posted Image

#5 JRZYRIPPER

JRZYRIPPER

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Any money that can be made would help. Does the nhl have a policy where all teams get a bit of merchandise sales like baseball. Or do the respective teams keep what they sell.

#6 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Any money that can be made would help. Does the nhl have a policy where all teams get a bit of merchandise sales like baseball. Or do the respective teams keep what they sell.

Again, coming from zero economics backgrounds, I believe its keep all you make.

Any additional revenue is good revenue, as long as they make money and not lose it. Problem is the keeping of the "traditionalist" mentality some remembers of the front office have.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#7 JRZYRIPPER

JRZYRIPPER

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

I think its something like any jerseys sold in the stadium is yours. But when ordered off nhl.com and other similar sites, it goes into a pool and divided among 30 teams. I could be wrong though

#8 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

What would it look like? Im not a person of design but I love the black practice jerseys maybe add the old school string ties and maybe a touch of another color? Any suggestions?

#9 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

I think its something like any jerseys sold in the stadium is yours. But when ordered off nhl.com and other similar sites, it goes into a pool and divided among 30 teams. I could be wrong though

I assume Reebok and the league both get a cut as well.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#10 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

I'm not a huge fan of black, but i kind of liked this concept someone made http://m767.photobuc...I.png.html?o=21
Posted Image

#11 NHLeBeau44

NHLeBeau44

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

In order to get the full effect of the 3rd jersey, it'd have to be a brand new logo. They couldn't just do a black version of the current jerseys and still expect a great revenue rise. With a new logo, you'd sell jerseys, hats, pucks, the whole shebang and the profit margin would be significantly higher.

#12 JRZYRIPPER

JRZYRIPPER

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

I'm not a huge fan of black, but i kind of liked this concept someone made http://m767.photobuc...I.png.html?o=21

I would help relieve the debt by $150 the day those puppies hit the market.

#13 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

In order to get the full effect of the 3rd jersey, it'd have to be a brand new logo. They couldn't just do a black version of the current jerseys and still expect a great revenue rise. With a new logo, you'd sell jerseys, hats, pucks, the whole shebang and the profit margin would be significantly higher.

I agree with you. It was just a piece of concept art I enjoyed. However, being a team called the "Devils", we already have the reputation (at least around where I live) as a Satanic Symbol team because apparently PA folks have no idea what the Jersey Devil is. So what route do you think they'd take? I'm all for a new look, as much as I love the NJ logo that we have. I just think a spark in creativity for the team would spark more interest in the team.
Posted Image

#14 NHLeBeau44

NHLeBeau44

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

I agree with you. It was just a piece of concept art I enjoyed. However, being a team called the "Devils", we already have the reputation (at least around where I live) as a Satanic Symbol team because apparently PA folks have no idea what the Jersey Devil is. So what route do you think they'd take? I'm all for a new look, as much as I love the NJ logo that we have. I just think a spark in creativity for the team would spark more interest in the team.

Don't worry, Ohio folk don't know about the Jersey Devil either. The girlfriends extremely religious parents hate when I wear my Devils gear so I do it quite frequently. Anyways, I'm not one for the creativity either but they'd probably have to roll with the trident or NJ Devil's head. I'd be okay with "New Jersey" going diagonal down the front but that's too close to the Rags so I doubt it'd happen.

#15 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

the throwback is essentially the 3rd jersey and it sells pretty well, i'd think.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#16 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

They wear it once a year...I'm talking about a fresh, new image for the devils
Posted Image

#17 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

The Devils have the image of a classic team. Teams that have not significantly changed their logos/images in an effort to modernize: Rangers, Red Wings, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Bruins, Flyers, Devils. Every other team has gone through a phase, and most of them have come back to the original look or something close to it (think Isles, Penguins, Sabres, Capitals). I guess the Devils could do a lame modern third jersey that would last 2-3 years in an attempt to boost revenue, but I'd hate to see them do something idiotic that would ruin the branding that makes the Devils seem like a classic team.
Posted Image

#18 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

The Devils have the image of a classic team. Teams that have not significantly changed their logos/images in an effort to modernize: Rangers, Red Wings, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Bruins, Flyers, Devils. Every other team has gone through a phase, and most of them have come back to the original look or something close to it (think Isles, Penguins, Sabres, Capitals). I guess the Devils could do a lame modern third jersey that would last 2-3 years in an attempt to boost revenue, but I'd hate to see them do something idiotic that would ruin the branding that makes the Devils seem like a classic team.

This. The jersey coupled with 3 Cups makes it iconic.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#19 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

not from my wallet....

#20 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

I've been looking around for a while actually. Just seeing what people have come up with.

These look pretty interesting....

http://www.icethetic...ltol/tag/devils

https://picasaweb.go...NewJerseyDevils

Very interesting to read about them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users