365 replies to this topic

#301 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'm a Devils fan, so naturally I'm happy to see it go our way this time. But overall I feel like the officiating should be more consistent on these kinds of goalie interference calls. I don't know what the official rule(s) state in this regard, but at least to my eye this kind of thing happens all the time, and it gets called -or not called- differently in every game. Sometimes it's not even consistent within the same game. Agreed that the refs have to make these judgments in a split second with all kinds of distractions, and I'm often the one person among my friends who's willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt. But it just seems like there's almost no rhyme or reason as to how they're going to call this particular penalty.

Edited by Brick Pig, 08 February 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#302 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

The call at the end of the game...if you're the team or a fan of the team on the receiving end of it, you're plenty pissed...if you're on the other end, you'll take it. I can understand how both sides feel. Nice to see one go the Devils' way, as they don't often seem to.

We've been getting break after break on this current winning streak, though, haven't we?

#303 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

This is what it looks like when a defenseman pushes an attacker into the goalie:

Posted Image

#304 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

The only thing that was "brutal" about last night is Al's absolute lack of professionalism and/or his hairline. The clip made me laugh though. It's funny how they cry about that call (Volchenkov leaned on Gaborik with his stick - if that forces Gaborik to plow over Marty, then he has less balance on skates than I do), but don't have anything to say about the clear high stick directly in front of the ref mid-way through the third, or the trip on Henrique at center ice towards the end of the game.

F the Rags, F Torts, and F Al "needs a wig", that 2 bit hack of a commentator. I wish Dano would just knock him out wearing his 3 cup rings one night on HNL.

Great win! Go Devils!
Posted Image

#305 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

We've been getting break after break on this current winning streak, though, haven't we?

True, but that was one that easily could've gone against the Devils. I wouldn't have felt ripped off if it did.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#306 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,450 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

but the other teams have too. It's what you do with those breaks that counts. I'm from the "it all evens out in the wash" camp.

I'm here for the party

#307 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Here's another one... about 4:00 into the highlights...

http://video.nhl.com...,2,594&fr=false
Posted Image

#308 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

This is what it looks like when a defenseman pushes an attacker into the goalie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTjdwx2CTvY

:rofl:

Holy crap, Pads McGee really has no right to talk. Dubinsky has full extension of his arms, pushing Max into him and he flips out like that. Then he calls what Volchenkov did a push? Credibility = 0.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#309 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

True, but that was one that easily could've gone against the Devils. I wouldn't have felt ripped off if it did.

I agree.

#310 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Personally, I care less about the call than the outrage over it like it was an OBVIOUS blown call.
Posted Image

#311 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

Personally, I care less about the call than the outrage over it like it was an OBVIOUS blown call.

Yeah, Trautwig's wig-out was over the top.

#312 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

5 game winning streak against, 4 against higher pt standing teams.. I'll take it. guys are gaining confidence and getting rewarded for it. keep it goin!
I hope everyone's healthy by next month so they have time to work out any kinks.

#313 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

I would, because that was the right call. Gaborik was pressured but he wasn't hooked or grabbed. He still had time to stop or go on the side of the net before he elbowed Marty(who was in the crease) in the face. Clearly goalie interference. Volch played it smart.

#314 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I thought the call could've gone either way. This one happened to go our way, and I'm fine with it.

What is Al Trautwig's position exactly? Studio host? Aren't they supposed to be a little fair?

Who on the Devils broadcast fills that same position? Deb Placey maybe? I can't see her ever being so unbiased. Same with Cangi when he filled that role.

Del Zotto made a bunch of good plays for the Rangers last night. Wouldn't mind seeing him in red and black.

#315 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Looked like he angled himself toward Marty when V was trying to move him toward the corner.

#316 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm a Devils fan, so naturally I'm happy to see it go our way this time. But overall I feel like the officiating should be more consistent on these kinds of goalie interference calls. I don't know what the official rule(s) state in this regard, but at least to my eye this kind of thing happens all the time, and it gets called -or not called- differently in every game. Sometimes it's not even consistent within the same game. Agreed that the refs have to make these judgments in a split second with all kinds of distractions, and I'm often the one person among my friends who's willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt. But it just seems like there's almost no rhyme or reason as to how they're going to call this particular penalty.

I think it comes down to the ref realizing there was a 4/3 on 1 happening..he recognized the players on the Rags would crash the net since time was running down. I think his senses were just heightened during the play because he knew that most teams would try something like that. It was a good call. I keep watching the replay over and over again. Certain angles it's hard to tell but other angles there just really isn't any question in my mind that Gabby was trying to be slick and run into Brodeur. He can deny it all he wants, but he got caught.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#317 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#318 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

I think it comes down to the ref realizing there was a 4/3 on 1 happening..he recognized the players on the Rags would crash the net since time was running down. I think his senses were just heightened during the play because he knew that most teams would try something like that. It was a good call. I keep watching the replay over and over again. Certain angles it's hard to tell but other angles there just really isn't any question in my mind that Gabby was trying to be slick and run into Brodeur. He can deny it all he wants, but he got caught.

You can see him lift his elbow a bit as he's crashing the net. Again, not totally obvious, but it's the subtleties like that, that make this blatant or not. Depending on who you root for, this is a good or bad call. The refs got it right.
Put food on my family

#319 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Well said.

Btw, loved the LGD chants in msg after we scored

#320 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTjdwx2CTvY

Montreal typical lol
I love how Torts tries to get hard ass with a fan too. I remember sitting behind him in a playoff game vs. the Lightning. I was badgering the crap out of him and he didn't even turn around. I guess now that he coaches the Rangers his courage is up.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users