131 replies to this topic

#41 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

It was off the skates of rookie Volchenkov.

yeah that was one of the reasons i picked that one....off the rookie volchenkov....watching these videos always brings a smile to my face
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#42 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

According to his coach, Langenbrunner was completely destructive in the locker room at the end. I don't boo players, I won't give them the satisfaction of them mattering enough, but I won't be cheering either.

Link or quote? Not doubting this, just want to see who said what.

I would take the "cheer for 2003 and other contributions one time" tact, then after that, he's just another opposing player.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#43 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

I won't yell "SUCKS!" if his name is announced in the starting lineup, but beyond that, he's just another player on another team.

I have a feeling that even though most are saying they won't boo him on here, that there's going to be a bunch who will anyway at the arena.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#44 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

According to his coach, Langenbrunner was completely destructive in the locker room at the end. I don't boo players, I won't give them the satisfaction of them mattering enough, but I won't be cheering either.

That's a shame. Langenbrunner was an integral part of the 2003 Stanley Cup winning team. He was a heck of a player for this for about 5 seasons and was part of so many great moments.

Why let what happened for a few months overshadow all the good that happened. And we've been over that before where it seemed like most of the team was on Jamie's side. Before Lemaire came back last year, it seemed the players and fans wanted him gone badly. It was only after the horrible first half did the team accept anyone that could help them. Lemaire and the coaching staff disrespected everyone's favourite person in that locker room and a 2-time Stanley Cuo veteran by making him dress with the rookies all playoffs, and after telling him he'd be playing, he got an assistant to text him that he wouldn't be.

I think Jamie was a pretty big baby, and made some mistakes as captain of this organization. I bet if given another opportunity, he'd act a lot differently. But no way I would ever boo him. That crap is never going to overshadow the excitement of game 7 in Ottawa, or how good he was that playoff run when guys like Gomez and Elias weren't performing up to standards. What about the GWG in 2006 against the Habs to win the division? The OT winner against Ottawa in 2007. That's what I am remembering. If I was there, I'd stand up and cheer. A little disappointed with the shrugging of the shoulders and indifference by some. These aren't great moments that everyone here remembers?

If anyone is planning on booing him or giving him no reaction...a quick question. If you saw him walking down the street, would you walk right by him or even stop and say, "I am very disappointed with how things turned out with you and the Devils and that overshadows any good you ever did here." Doubt it. Most would probably shake his hand, ask for a picture and say thanks for everything you did." Am I wrong?

Fans here jump on ex-players for any comments they make to the media about their time in NJ or enjoying the fans in (insert whatever city), and their passion for the game etc. But can you blame them if they come back and get booed?

Last night in Ottawa, Brian Elliott returned. He was atrocious last season and was considered the scapegoat by all fans and media. They announced his return during the commercial break and he got a huge ovation. And that's for Brian Elliott. He never did anything that Jamie did for the Devils.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#45 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Honestly I haven't thought of Langenbrunner more than once or twice since he left. I'm more concerned about Arnott to be honest.
I don't think booing is called for.
He didn't go to the Rangers.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3, 08 February 2012 - 12:56 PM.

Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#46 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Link or quote? Not doubting this, just want to see who said what.

I would take the "cheer for 2003 and other contributions one time" tact, then after that, he's just another opposing player.

It's Mario Tremblay on the radio, so I'm not sure you can find links or quotes, other than HF people in Montreal talking about it. If you type in Mario Tremblay and Langenbrunner in google you'll get linked to some pages that talk about it.

Off the top of my head, some of the things I remember are, Langenbrunner refusing to go out and take a shootout until Parise talked him into it, he got scratched in a game and they made him fly with the team anyway so he publicly pouted about it, and Tremblay said Lemaire wanted to take the captaincy away from Langenbrunner but they decided he would pout because of it so there was less harm leaving him as the captain they didn't want than getting the captain they preferred but have Langs tank the lockeroom. We also know the Devils wanted to move him in the offseason and he refused, which is his prerogative, but then he accepted waiving his no trade clause later, which is odd, seemed like he refused to waive it when he thought winning would be fun and then accepted it once the season was in the crapper.

I don't hate Langs, he was apparently having personal life troubles, and we can all relate to troubles at home affecting us, but it seems to me, through the eyes of Tremblay, that Langenbrunner was a big problem at the end. Not to put too much stock into coincidences, but notice the team didn't start winning when Lemaire arrived, it started winning when Langenbrunner left.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#47 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

If anyone is planning on booing him or giving him no reaction...a quick question. If you saw him walking down the street, would you walk right by him or even stop and say, "I am very disappointed with how things turned out with you and the Devils and that overshadows any good you ever did here." Doubt it. Most would probably shake his hand, ask for a picture and say thanks for everything you did." Am I wrong?

I'd give him no reaction if I saw him in public, just like I'd do with any of the players.

I'vs cheered him for all the good things he's done in his career as a Devil already. I'm choosing not to boo him for the poor play and locker room antics at the end. Seems fair to me.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#48 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

will be there and will definitely not be booing....enjoyed 2003 to much...i dont think we've would've won the cup in 03' without him scoring some clutch goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSIaTL4-3I

Ha forgot about how smart of a play that was.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#49 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

Want to guarantee he won't get booed? Spread this around:

Langs and Zach Parise were very close friends. You don't want to piss Zach off by boo'ing Langs :headless chicken:

Of course I personally don't think Zach would give a sh!t either way, but the average fan would probably buy into that.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 08 February 2012 - 12:53 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#50 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

No reason to boo. In fact he should be acknowledged on the scoreboard during a timeout, so fans can give him some polite applause and stand if they want.

#51 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'd give him no reaction if I saw him in public, just like I'd do with any of the players.

I'vs cheered him for all the good things he's done in his career as a Devil already. I'm choosing not to boo him for the poor play and locker room antics at the end. Seems fair to me.

I don't know why you put so much stalk into what Mario Tremblay has to say. He's a tool who lost respect of the entire team when he texted Pandolfo about being scratched. Really classy thing to do to a 11-year veteran of the team.

Jamie did some bad things he'd probably regret. So do many athletes professionally and personally behind the scenes. But why is he getting all the blame from you. I am not just a Jamie nuthugger. The trade was a good move for the Devils moving forward. But Lemaire was a stubborn jerk too. What NHL coach scratches a captain of 3 years and offers it to a a veteran teammate for that game? And it never went down because the team had Jamie's back. Just like they had his back in the playoffs when everyone couldn't wait for Lemaire to get out of town.

Maybe it was time for all those veterans to go, and by now, they pretty much all have. But I'm not going to remember that year about any players or Lemaire moving forward. Just the good times.

And I don't think that the turnaround was to do with Jamie leaving. Jamie had to do with the structure and systems of the team. And him going made them all of a sudden an elite defensive team? And once again, if he was a locker room disease like many suggest, why would he host the team's Syper Bowl party after he got dealt and spoke about so highly by our young stars?

Edited by devilsrule33, 08 February 2012 - 02:27 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#52 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,431 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

They had Jamie's back in the playoffs....by quitting en masse against the Flyers the way he did?
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#53 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

They had Jamie's back in the playoffs....by quitting en masse against the Flyers the way he did?

I guess I don't remember the 2010 playoffs like you do. They lost to a pretty good team that went to 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. And if I remember correctly, they absolutely dominated game 1 of the playoffs but Boucher played insane as they lost 2-1. And lost in OT of game 3 by a sh!tty Carcillo goal. Easily could have been up 3-0 to the Flyers.

It hurt that they couldn't score a powerplay goal to save their lives even when they got 8 a game.

#54 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,431 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Games 3 and 4 we were dominated, it was only Marty's brilliance that gave us a chance to win Game 3 and the utter lack of effort in Game 5 was disgusting.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#55 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

I don't know why you put so much stalk into what Mario Tremblay has to say. He's a tool who lost respect of the entire team when he texted Pandolfo about being scratched. Really classy thing to do to a 11-year veteran of the team.

Because he was the assistant coach on the team? Lemaire didn't even want Langs to be the captain, but I guess we should ignore what he wanted as well? You want to call Tremblay a tool and talk about how unclassy he is, but want to ignore anything Langenbrunner did.

What NHL coach scratches a captain of 3 years and offers it to a a veteran teammate for that game?

I'd have to go back but there were plenty of example at the time of that happening before.

Just the good times.

That's your prerogative, I'll remember everything rather than purposefully ignore the bad stuff.

And I don't think that the turnaround was to do with Jamie leaving.

I don't either, but I also don't think Lemaire coming on board was a magic trigger as well. If someone wants to point to a change that happened right before winning, it was Langs leaving, though.

And once again, if he was a locker room disease like many suggest, why would he host the team's Syper Bowl party after he got dealt and spoke about so highly by our young stars?

Because the players like him personally, even though the coaches believed he wasn't creating a conducive atmosphere for winning in the locker room.

---------------------------------------------

You can go ahead and cheer Langenbrunner, I'm not going to tell you not to. I personally am not going to cheer or boo.

Edited by Devils731, 08 February 2012 - 02:38 PM.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#56 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,987 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Want to guarantee he won't get booed? Spread this around:

Langs and Zach Parise were very close friends. You don't want to piss Zach off by boo'ing Langs :headless chicken:

Of course I personally don't think Zach would give a sh!t either way, but the average fan would probably buy into that.

I don't know, but I think players notice stuff like that. ... Not that it should be the deciding factor whether or not one boos or cheers him.

#57 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,431 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

lol let Zach worry about getting the fans to cheer him instead of worrying about how Jamie is looked at by the fans. Is booing Jamie really anywhere near as bad as cheering a hurt Weekes on the ice? We've done some goofy stuff in the past but he's also seen three number raisings and how we do treat Patty and Marty.

Besides, if Zach was in a number of other places, the microscope would be on him big-time for almost losing the game yesterday with a lack of clock awareness.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 08 February 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#58 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Because he was the assistant coach on the team? Lemaire didn't even want Langs to be the captain, but I guess we should ignore what he wanted as well? You want to call Tremblay a tool and talk about how unclassy he is, but want to ignore anything Langenbrunner did.

I'd have to go back but there were plenty of example at the time of that happening before.

That's your prerogative, I'll remember everything rather than purposefully ignore the bad stuff.

I don't either, but I also don't think Lemaire coming on board was a magic trigger as well. If someone wants to point to a change that happened right before winning, it was Langs leaving, though.

Because the players like him personally, even though the coaches believed he wasn't creating a conducive atmosphere for winning in the locker room.

---------------------------------------------

You can go ahead and cheer Langenbrunner, I'm not going to tell you not to. I personally am not going to cheer or boo.

I guess that is better than the booing crowd. I'm not purposely trying to forget the bad, but just think the good times and the success always outweighs the bad. And so does Lou who really hasn't held a grudge against anyone that the fans have (Holik, Sykora, Arnott, Mogilny, Maclean, Driver, etc.)

I think Tremblay is a bit of a tool for many reasons. The whole Roy thing is a pretty good example. If you want to switch captaincy, there has to be a better way though. You have to have respect of the veterans and the captain has to be pissing off a lot of people. I don't think either things happened. Just remember how ugly the end of 2010 was, and how not one person here wanted Lemaire back. We celebrated when he "retired" as we called it.

But even after all that, just like Jamie, I'd still cheer Lemaire again and again, and if I saw him in person I'd extend my hand and thank him for everything he did for the organization. I'm not arguing that Jamie wasn't an issue. He was. I just forgive and forget pretty easily I guess, especially when that player gave so much.

I guess this argument has reached the end. Just that in professional sports, things usually don't end well with players and teams. Very few get to stay on one team for their entire careers. Perfect endings rarely happen, but it be a shame if those endings affected all the relationships for good. I wish fans could move on as well as Lou has in the past. Jamie shouldn't be just another player that walks through NJ.

#59 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I will politely clap if Langenbrunner's name is announced, but that is about it.

I will not boo him at all tomorrow...well maybe a little if he scores on us lol.

#60 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

Besides, if Zach was in a number of other places, the microscope would be on him big-time for almost losing the game yesterday with a lack of clock awareness.

seriously that play bothered me....kill a little time instead of banging the puck the dman shin pad causing one last break
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users