43 replies to this topic

#1 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

DETROIT -- The NHL's Winter Classic has grown bigger each season of its five-year existence. It's only fitting that the next stop for the Jan. 1 outdoor game will be at Michigan Stadium, known by many as "The Big House."

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman announced Thursday morning the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic -- between Original Six rivals Detroit and Toronto -- will be played at the home of the University of Michigan's football team in Ann Arbor.

Bettman made the announcement at Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers, which will host the Hockeytown Winter Festival, a week-long celebration of the game at all levels.

The 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic marks the first time a Canadian-based franchise is part of the festivities. It also marks the first time that the events of Winter Classic week will be split between two venues.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=616022

Edited by Quinn01, 09 February 2012 - 11:39 AM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#2 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Detroit and Toronto?

Meh.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#3 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Detroit and Toronto?

Meh.

Meh? Really?

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#4 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Detroit deserves another winter classic.

Oh wait, this isn't 'things devil fans never say' thread?

#5 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Interesting that they chose Toronto and not another US TV market to appease NBC on this one.

So, what do you think, a Chicago-Vancouver winter classic 2 years from now?
Posted Image

#6 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Meh? Really?

Yep.

Detroit gets another one, and Toronto, honestly, I couldn't care less about.

I mean, I understand why I guess. Two big markets. I'll (probably) watch, but would it kill the NHL to put two new teams in there?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#7 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

It is the only way Toronto is going to be on a big stage.

#8 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

It is the only way Toronto is going to be on a big stage.

Bazzzzzing!

believe-ll.jpg

#9 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

Honestly, we all know that we will not be in this event for a long long time if at all. All I want is some different teams in it once in a while, even though Toronto hasn't been in a winter classic yet. Start incorporating other teams not just the original 6. Its getting boring.

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#10 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Honestly, we all know that we will not be in this event for a long long time if at all. All I want is some different teams in it once in a while, even though Toronto hasn't been in a winter classic yet. Start incorporating other teams not just the original 6. Its getting boring.

Well, there are some restrictions...

1) You want to hit the big markets to generate excitement
2) It's an outdoor game, that eliminates a ton of arenas

This is the first time a Canadian team is being used for the Winter Classic. They sometimes play a Heritage Classic. This is a good way to ease a Canadian market into the mix. You won't see teams with a low fan base in the Winter Classic.

#11 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Well, there are some restrictions...

1) You want to hit the big markets to generate excitement
2) It's an outdoor game, that eliminates a ton of arenas

This is the first time a Canadian team is being used for the Winter Classic. They sometimes play a Heritage Classic. This is a good way to ease a Canadian market into the mix. You won't see teams with a low fan base in the Winter Classic.

I personally would like to see the Devils and Rangers in Central Park. I think that would be awesome. Im not just saying that as a Devils fan. I would like to see any professional game out of Central Park.

Posted Image

#12 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Start incorporating other teams not just the original 6. Its getting boring.

and philly and the penguins...

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#13 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

I personally would like to see the Devils and Rangers in Central Park. I think that would be awesome. Im not just saying that as a Devils fan. I would like to see any professional game out of Central Park.

Sure, it would be cool, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

#14 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

I can see Devils / Rangers happening in 2014.......Yes for tv, but if we're both two elite teams - I can see them doing it.

#15 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,406 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

I'd love to see that one...

I'm here for the party

#16 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Rangers yes, but Devils? Not a chance. I don't think the NHL will give us this unless we win back to back Cups or something. It would be Rangers / Bruins or something along those lines, maybe Rangers / Canadiens and at Yankee Stadium not Central Park.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#17 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

I could see a superbowl 2014 tie in, can't you guys? I think that would be cool actually.

#18 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

If there ever was a WC in Central Park you can bet the Devils will not be in it.

I have come to accept for the last couple of years that the Devils will never ever be in the WC. I will still get excited to see them no matter who is in them and depending on who is in them.

I was actually really hoping for a Colorado/Detroit one for next year. It will happen eventually.

#19 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Toronto in the Winter Classic with an unfiltered Brian Burke can be interesting...

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#20 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

I would have LOVED to have seen last night's Devs/Rags game get into a 24/7 show though! :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users