66 replies to this topic

#21 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm burying this in this thread. I just have to say - this time around the Cup has hit me with it's full impact. The thing itself.

It's LA and I don't give a %^&#% if I jinx them :P -- but I can't help thinking... if Jon Quick brought the Cup to my hometown in CT -- I just get hit with how powerful a thing it is. When I think of my high school team -- they were good, really good, but even our BEST just knew they didn't have the drive to push for a real career in hockey -- not in any capacity. No one dared to hope they had the talent even. I even pushed one guy who had NO other hope or dream or desire. He was in fact the only player who knew my love of hockey and the only guy I spoke to. Mostly because my love was acting and I was going for it and he had that same love but for hockey and yet he wouldn't allow himself to just go for it -- any way any how any where :noclue:

anyhow - so all these kids are men now and they're all involved with town hockey in one form or another. What it would mean to them to have someone from our town bring the Cup -- it's such an affirmation. I think the chance comes around often in some of the towns in Canada..in the province of Ontario... that begin with K... just keeping' it Stevens :uni: But our town? It's such a hockey insane town and it's not in Canada or Minnesota or Michigan even. It's in dopey Connecticut. and it's not a private school even though Quick transferred and red shirted. I think he knows too - I think he'd be hard pressed choosing not to bring it home.

It's very difficult to not want this for my town. And I want it now, because I feel the urgency this season - there is hint of reality that I've never felt even as the Cup was here in NJ. it's amazing who all these guys play for - it is overwhelming I think maybe like no other trophy or award anywhere.

I'm here for the party

#22 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

Can we move this thread to the Hall of Fame? This is probably the best we've had since last person to post wins...

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#23 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Oh come on now -_-

and now you've inspired me to get back on topic and go search Sportsminded 2012 Scott Stevens and found a Facebook page with all kinds of photos. At some point, it looks like Stevens lost feeling in his upper lip. He is so cute though.

and I must wonder: Does Donna have to shave those hairs that grow on the back of his neck. If you do, I feel ya sister. "Hon? Can you get my squiggly hairs?" :doh1: I'll spare you all the full dialogue I share with my husband every 3 months or so...

I'm here for the party

#24 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

OK now how adorable is this:

From The Cardinal Virtues, 1902
By William De Witt Hyde

TEMPERANCE

Temperance is closely akin to courage; for as courage takes on the pains which wisdom and justice find incidental to their ends, so temperance cuts off remorselessly whatever pleasures are inconsistent with these ends. The temperate man does not hate pleasure, any more than the brave man loves pain, for its own sake. It is not that he loves pleasure less, but that he loves wisdom and justice more. He puts the satisfaction of his permanent and social self over against the fleeting satisfaction of some isolated appetite, and cuts off the little pleasure to gain the lasting personal and social good. There is a remark of Hegel which gives the key to all true temperance; “In the eye of fate all action is guilt.” Since we are finite, to do one thing is to neglect all the competing alternative courses. We cannot have our cake and eat it too. As James puts it: “Not that I would not, if I could, be both handsome and fat and well-dressed and a great athlete, and make a million a year; be a wit, a bon-vivant, and a lady-killer, as well as a philosopher; a philanthropist, statesman, warrior, and African explorer, as well as a ‘tone-poet’ and saint. But the thing is simply impossible. The millionaire’s work would run counter to the saint’s; the bon-vivant and the philanthropist would trip each other up; and the philosopher and the lady-killer could not well keep house in the same tenement of clay. So the seeker of his truest, strongest, deepest self must review the list carefully, and pick out
the one on which to stake his salvation.”

Some selection there must be between competing and mutually exclusive goods. The intemperate man selects what appeals most forcibly to his sensibilities at the moment. The temperate man selects that which best fits his permanent ends. There is sacrifice in either case. The intemperate man sacrifices his permanent and social self to his transient physical sensations. The temperate man sacrifices his transient sensations in the interest of his permanent and social self.

The temptation to intemperance comes chiefly from a false abstraction of pleasure. Finding that some function is attended with pleasure, we perform the function for the sake of the pleasure; forgetting to consider the end at which the function aims, or even disregarding the end altogether. A man seizes on one or another of the more sensitive parts of his nervous system, and then contrives ways to produce constant or frequently recurrent excitation. Thus the glutton crams his stomach, not for the nourishment and vigor food will give him, but for the sensations of agreeable taste and comfortable distention. Muscle must toil, brain must plan, and every other organ do extra work, simply to give the palate its transient titillation and provide the stomach its periodic gorge…

The glutton’s gorging of his stomach, in so far as it produces a pleasurable feeling of distention, is good. If a man were nothing but a stomach, and that were made of cast iron, then gluttony would be not only good, but the highest good. If a man were nothing but a bundle of nerves, and these were of wire and never subject to reaction, then the man who could keep them thrilling most intensely by whiskey and champagne would be the wisest one of us all…If one were a heating-plant chimney, then smoking would be the best he could do. If a man need do nothing but dream, then to neglect the joys of opium or cocaine would be superlative folly.

The evil of these things is due to the greater good they displace. Man is more than stomach or nerves or nose or jaws or chimney or dreamer; and indulgence in these departments of his life, unless very carefully controlled and restricted, involves injury to more important sides of life, out of all proportion to the petty gains in these special departments in question…

[But] let us be careful not to confound a wise temperance with the absurdities and rigors of asceticism. Asceticism hates pleasure, and sets itself up as something superior to pleasure. Hence it is sour, narrow, repulsive. As Macaulay said of the Puritans, “They hated bear-baiting, not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators;” so the ascetic seems to hate the pleasure there is in things, and to begrudge other people their joys and consolations.

True temperance is modest. It is nothing in itself, but, like courage, simply the handmaid of wisdom and justice to carry out their commands. Temperance does not hate pleasure. Temperance loves pleasure more wisely — that is all. The temperate man recognizes that the pleasure of an act is a pretty sure indication that the act has some elements of good. But temperance denies that pleasure is an indication of the relative worth of different acts. Reason, not pleasure alone, must decide that point. Temperance never cuts off an indulgence, unless it be to save some greater and more valuable interest of life. Temperance is always, if it is modest, and keeps its proper place as the handmaid of wisdom, engaged in cutting off a lesser to save a greater good. Its weapon and symbol is the pruning knife; and its aim and justification is that the vine of life may bear more and better fruit. To erect temperance into a positive principle, to be merely a temperance man or woman, to cut off the fair leaves of pleasure merely for the sake of cutting them off, is monstrous, unnatural, perverse. The great moral motive power of life must lie in the positive and pleasurable interests which wisdom and justice and faith and love lay hold upon. To cast out evil as an end in itself is as futile as to try to drive the air out of a room with a fan.

Temperance, indeed, often finds itself arrayed against the lower and intenser forms of pleasure. That is because, for purposes of her own, Nature has attached the keenest pleasures to those instincts which are most fundamental to the preservation of the individual and the perpetuation of the species. But temperance, if it be wise, — if, that is, it be truly moral — must ever justify itself by those personal and social goods at which wisdom and justice aim. Hence temperance, though an important virtue in its place, is yet a strictly subordinate one. No man can amount to much without constant practice of stern self-denial and rigid self-control. But a man who does nothing but that; the man who erects temperance into a positive principle, who believes that the pruning knife can bear fruit of itself, and despises the rich soil that feeds the roots and the sweet sap that nourishes the branches of the vine of life, is no man at all. The measure and value of our temperance is, not the indulgences which we lop off from the branches of life here and there, but the beauty and sweetness and worth of the fruit which is borne by our lives as a whole.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 28 April 2012 - 09:43 AM.

I'm here for the party

#25 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

How real men get to look like Scott Stevens:

Posted Image

I'm here for the party

#26 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQRbDSwZIME
Posted Image

#27 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Better we do this here. Good choice. :evil:

I didn't think you were pissing on the torah Lazer -- but it doesn't take much to get you started -- obviously.

I'll take these responses to my "don't get him started" post as an admission of shame on your part.

I like all your other posts I think you're funny and make the board a better place. But you don't get a bye when you post like an a$$hole.

Now post away, knock yourself out --I'm just making sure you know where I'm going from.

I'm here for the party

#28 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

Better we do this here. Good choice. :evil:

I didn't think you were pissing on the torah Lazer -- but it doesn't take much to get you started -- obviously.

I'll take these responses to my "don't get him started" post as an admission of shame on your part.

I like all your other posts I think you're funny and make the board a better place. But you don't get a bye when you post like an a$$hole.

Now post away, knock yourself out --I'm just making sure you know where I'm going from.

Way to passive aggressively fuel the fire.. Would it kill u to just have dropped it?

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#29 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

Way to passive aggressively fuel the fire.. Would it kill u to just have dropped it?

My thread - clearly delineated -

All the same, nice to see you're reading it.

Scott Stevens is pleased :evil: now say something nice about him.

-- on second thought... <_<

Why aren't you calling out lazer for deliberately seeking out my thread and trying to fvck it up?
You are now on my sh!t list.... VERY FEW are.

Scotty just put you on his too.

lazer isn't though... he's funny too often to not like.

and THIRD thought... :rant:

the fire is lazer's and mine only -- not anyone else... Have I spoiled your Stevens thread? seriously ya sanctimonious meddling little pr**k <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn, 02 May 2012 - 12:36 PM.

I'm here for the party

#30 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Serious question, and I guess this is the best place for it:

Anyone have any idea how Scott Stevens is doing? These concussion studies are getting scarier and scarier to read about and with everything that's going on with Pronger I am concerned for Stevens. Does he suffer from Post Concussion Syndrome even to this day?
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#31 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

No one responds in here... they read, think "Uhh I don't know anything you don't" (unless they've just come to poke me with a stick to see how I'll react)

So, I'm not at all in the know and hate posting as if I somehow am -- he's on record saying he's fine - no ill effects. I don't know if that's changed but he's well enough to run around his backyard with shotguns .... :noclue:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 03 May 2012 - 07:59 AM.

I'm here for the party

#32 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

So anyone see Stevens at any playoff games?

I'm here for the party

#33 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

oh :)

my :huh:

god :evil:

bad boy.... :doh1:

http://www.annasugden.com/hockey.html

:giggle:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 14 May 2012 - 05:44 PM.

I'm here for the party

#34 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Oh one more thing... Stevens should wear pink -- just a pink oxford nothing flaming .... the blue thing... it's got to stop... consider it a "faded red" if you must. Just TRY it!

I normally say green is my favorite color (the past 20 years or so...) I think Red is turning into my favorite color.

hmmph

:nolcue:

....nice... lcue... and capR Red....

man I've fvcked up all my superstitions too.. this sucks... playoffs.... Well sh!t it all! I just remember the last thing I forgot to do... #&()#$^&*)#$^&*)

and I waxed profane in my Stevens thread... hey I like to pretend I'm not a foul mouthed slob... or that I'm a sailor...

I'm not watching to night. OK... so ... make dinner... YES, I know how late it is -- who asked you anyhow <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn, 14 May 2012 - 05:55 PM.

I'm here for the party

#35 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

:urg:

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#36 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

:urg:

Just a sampling of what it's like to be me... before a Rangers Devils game.

I'm here for the party

#37 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

Just a sampling of what it's like to be me... before a Rangers Devils game.

Carry on :lol:

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#38 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

haha -- found new picture

Posted Image
Did I call this or what? Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm here for the party

#39 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

It's game day... it might get ugly in this thread...

I'm trying to post moustic's chicken...

:unsure:

well... you'll see

Edited by Pepperkorn, 23 May 2012 - 12:35 PM.

I'm here for the party

#40 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

You cannot know how funny this is... nor the true meaning of the term cocky -- until you have roosters.

Suffice to say, we no longer have roosters... and they were quite delicious. Rooroo attacked my husband on the wrong day... :(

Edited by Pepperkorn, 23 May 2012 - 12:48 PM.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users