226 replies to this topic

#221 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

Eight out the Devils' last 10 wins have come in regulation. A ninth has come in overtime. So they're trending better as to how the wins are coming.

DevsMan84, I pointed out that they ARE winning games in regulation...at least they are now.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#222 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

DevsMan84, I pointed out that they ARE winning games in regulation...at least they are now.

Lately, they are. I wonder where in the standings we would be without those shootout points though. We are only 5 points ahead of 9th place.

Regardless you are right that indeed they are winning in regulation so hopefully there will be less nail-biters and having to go in shootouts even though we are excellent at them. I guess I am just looking at it in a glass half-empty sense.

Also thanks for the stats on the other thread too about the Devils and the shootout. I figured they have been pretty good over the years as it always seems they win more at them than they lose, but didn't know we have been the best. :cheers:

#223 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

I don't really see anyone here (well, no one who is over the top dramatic at least) have said that the Devils are in any way or shape not good at the shootout. I think it is quite amazing that we are 9-3 now and that is not something to sneeze at.

At least for me all I have said is Parise just has been a little cold lately and why not try another player for him instead? We went up against a goalie who basically shut us out from when he went in the game last night and we really needed a little extra something and not sure if sending in a player who has been struggling lately at the shoot out is the best option.

Honestly I am not upset at all that we lost last night and still happy we came out with at least a point. I just think we could use all the points we can get since again we are not winning games in regulation and have to get the full two points in these skills competitions.

I would rather take Elias out of the SO. As much as I love the guy, I haven't seen him doing anything recently especially, but didnt even do much over the course of the year. At least Parise has done work earlier this year, and is a better breakaway candidate anyway

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#224 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Lately, they are. I wonder where in the standings we would be without those shootout points though. We are only 5 points ahead of 9th place.

Regardless you are right that indeed they are winning in regulation so hopefully there will be less nail-biters and having to go in shootouts even though we are excellent at them. I guess I am just looking at it in a glass half-empty sense.

Also thanks for the stats on the other thread too about the Devils and the shootout. I figured they have been pretty good over the years as it always seems they win more at them than they lose, but didn't know we have been the best. :cheers:

It was our discussing/debating that led me to check it out. I knew they'd been good, but it did blow my mind when I saw to what level.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#225 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

I would rather take Elias out of the SO. As much as I love the guy, I haven't seen him doing anything recently especially, but didnt even do much over the course of the year. At least Parise has done work earlier this year, and is a better breakaway candidate anyway

With Elias it is a little harder to judge I think. Mostly due to the fact that for pretty much the entire season in the shootout, the order has been 1)Kovy 2) Parise and 3) Elias. We have won a lot of times within the first couple of rounds so we do not see Elias out there as much as the other two.

I would like to see Henrique in there to see more of what he could possibly do. I might even be curious to see how Clarkson or even skyora do on it, but I wouldn't expect too much.

#226 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

With Elias it is a little harder to judge I think. Mostly due to the fact that for pretty much the entire season in the shootout, the order has been 1)Kovy 2) Parise and 3) Elias. We have won a lot of times within the first couple of rounds so we do not see Elias out there as much as the other two.

I would like to see Henrique in there to see more of what he could possibly do. I might even be curious to see how Clarkson or even skyora do on it, but I wouldn't expect too much.

o yea, good call with that. but i feel like i would still feel like switching Elias out for Henrique in the SO

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#227 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

It was our discussing/debating that led me to check it out. I knew they'd been good, but it did blow my mind when I saw to what level.

Haha yeah I figured and it is pretty amazing how good they have been at it. And I def do remember other teams fans and hockey "experts" predicting the Devils to be terrible at them. Goes to show you just cannot assume with these sort of things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users