38 replies to this topic

#21 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

You should read the now locked thread about this on HF.. Well, I'll save you the time and just say its a bunch of Ranger fans crying and the rest of the League's fans complimenting us

Surprised?

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:20 AM

You should read the now locked thread about this on HF.. Well, I'll save you the time and just say its a bunch of Ranger fans crying and the rest of the League's fans complimenting us

Surprised?

Which thread Colin? One about the Devils in shootouts? I couldn't find it.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

I have no idea why this team fares so well in the SO. I remember Kovy was 1/9 in the first year with Atlanta but pick up here. Victor Kozlov did not score SO goals as good when he played for the Isles. Probably because the coaching staff is ordered to do their homework on gimme.

The short answer:

The Devils bury pucks better than anyone else in shootouts, and by a good margin. They also have gotten very good goaltending, especially from Brodeur (40-20 with a .725 save%...other Devils goalies are 12-8 with a combined .631 save%). Though Brodeur has clearly been very good, the Devils goaltending in general has benefitted greatly by getting more support than everyone else.

The Rangers have also had success, but mostly because they get excellent goaltending (especially from Lundqvist). They actually shoot pretty poorly (only 30.9%, compared to the Devils' 41.7%).
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

Kovy ostensibly got advice from Marty, or at least he credits that with turning around his shootout record. Zach may need to have a talk with Marty soon too, his misses keep getting worse and worse.

Re: Kovy...this season's 9-for-11 is absurd. Though there are players who excel at the shootout more than others, 50% or so is very good. It's pretty rare to see such an extended "automatic" stretch like Kovy's.

Having said that, it looks like goalies are catching onto his 5-hole laser...Elliot was clearly prepared for it, and Hiller seemed to know it was coming too, but was a split second too late in closing the gap.

I would stay with Zach because of his history, because he's been terrific overall, in spite of this recent lull. And the Devils are 10-3 this year in shootouts, so it's not like they're suffering in the slightest as a result.

#30 FOREVER!

#25 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

Having said that, it looks like goalies are catching onto his 5-hole laser...Elliot was clearly prepared for it, and Hiller seemed to know it was coming too, but was a split second too late in closing the gap.

I would stay with Zach because of his history, because he's been terrific overall, in spite of this recent lull. And the Devils are 10-3 this year in shootouts, so it's not like they're suffering in the slightest as a result.

Unfortunately I worry it may be coming to an end soon. Like you said, they're catching on to Kovy... and Parise's dekes don't catch goalies ridiculously out of position anymore... win enough shootouts, goalies pay attention. After a teams big 2 or 3, it gets a bit random which is why having Brodeur's 'encyclopedia' on shooters is key. He doesn't need to study the top 3, he knows a lot more... unless you're a rookie, then you'll get your first career goal :)

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#26 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

Unfortunately I worry it may be coming to an end soon. Like you said, they're catching on to Kovy... and Parise's dekes don't catch goalies ridiculously out of position anymore... win enough shootouts, goalies pay attention. After a teams big 2 or 3, it gets a bit random which is why having Brodeur's 'encyclopedia' on shooters is key. He doesn't need to study the top 3, he knows a lot more... unless you're a rookie, then you'll get your first career goal :)

Except that the Devils have been great at this since its inception. Kovy is definitely due to slow up though.

It will be interesting to see what Kovy's Plan B move is.

#30 FOREVER!

#27 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Except that the Devils have been great at this since its inception. Kovy is definitely due to slow up though.

It will be interesting to see what Kovy's Plan B move is.

Kovy has a good enough shot where he can find openings anywhere if he hits his spot. I'm not too worried at all.

He started off the season trying this move a few times and connecting each time. He also faked shot and went forehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma7iM20bNu0

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#28 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

His understanding of the game may be helping our shooters as well. Despite his recent slump, Parise's been great in shootouts, and aside from that whiff last year, Kovy's emerged as a big time player since playing with Marty. Even Clarkie's had some great moments. There's gotta be more to that one especially than pure talent. Throw in the fact that Kovy's credited Marty with improving him on shootouts (thanks, njdevs4978), and you begin to understand why the Devils have been so good in the shootout for so long and expect it to continue, at least as long as number 30's still in net.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#29 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Kovy has a good enough shot where he can find openings anywhere if he hits his spot. I'm not too worried at all.

He started off the season trying this move a few times and connecting each time. He also faked shot and went forehand.

I'm not saying he's going to vanish...he'll still connect. But at a .818% rate? Probably not.

#30 FOREVER!

#30 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Kovy is 9-11 what an absolute beast!!! and no, goalies are not "catching on" to him. his last two attempts he's gone to the five hole but he obviously doesn't go there that often. the time before that he went top shelf and burried one. he is so lightening quick goalies are not gonna shut him down

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#31 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

I hate to be a wet blanket, but the Devils' reliance on the shootout to win games does not bode well for the postseason. They're going to have to be able to put games away playing actual hockey if they are to go far in the playoffs. Granted, five minutes of regular season overtime and twenty minutes (or more) of playoff overtime are not necessarily comparable, and on the bright side they have come out on top three out of the four times an OT game has ended before five minutes have elapsed, but still, I'm not exactly comfortable with a team that finds itself in the shootout so often.

Regulation: 20-20
Overtime: 3-1
Shootouts: 10-3
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#32 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

Who cares about it? I hate when people cry about getting shootout wins. WINNING SHOOTOUTS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT WIN GAMES IN OVERTIME IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Edited by hurricane1091, 18 February 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#33 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,089 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

I hate to be a wet blanket, but the Devils' reliance on the shootout to win games does not bode well for the postseason. They're going to have to be able to put games away playing actual hockey if they are to go far in the playoffs. Granted, five minutes of regular season overtime and twenty minutes (or more) of playoff overtime are not necessarily comparable, and on the bright side they have come out on top three out of the four times an OT game has ended before five minutes have elapsed, but still, I'm not exactly comfortable with a team that finds itself in the shootout so often.

No, it doesn't bode well. I agree. The things that do bode well are the improvements made to the roster over the course of the season - the team has played long stretches of the season without key roster components. The power play was a disaster at the beginning of the year but is now much better - I plan on a post about just how much better when I get some numbers from a fellow blog contributor. And if Brodeur is a .915 goalie instead of a .885 goalie, that's a huge improvement too.

Edited by Triumph, 18 February 2012 - 04:46 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#34 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Who cares about it? I hate when people cry about getting shootout wins. WINNING SHOOTOUTS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT WIN GAMES IN OVERTIME IN THE PLAYOFFS.

I never said that. Do not put words in my mouth. I even pointed out that of the games that have ended in OT, the Devils have won most of them.

Besides, the concern is not so much winning shootouts -- it's a lot better than consistently losing shootouts -- it's that it gets to the shootout so often. It means they can't seem to get it done in regulation. Hey, if it turns out that they're pretty good at winning in overtime, great.

Edited by RowdyFan42, 18 February 2012 - 06:33 PM.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

#35 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

No, it doesn't bode well. I agree. The things that do bode well are the improvements made to the roster over the course of the season - the team has played long stretches of the season without key roster components. The power play was a disaster at the beginning of the year but is now much better - I plan on a post about just how much better when I get some numbers from a fellow blog contributor. And if Brodeur is a .915 goalie instead of a .885 goalie, that's a huge improvement too.

True dat.

#36 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

I think coming off any year but last year, these numbers would be setting off alarms all over the place. Many fans are just enjoying the ride, as they should after the terrible year. As far as I'm concerned, just getting back into the playoffs and even contention is a big deal, it is largely the same group back.

#37 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

I think coming off any year but last year, these numbers would be setting off alarms all over the place. Many fans are just enjoying the ride, as they should after the terrible year. As far as I'm concerned, just getting back into the playoffs and even contention is a big deal, it is largely the same group back.

I agree with this, as far as "enjoying the ride" is concerned...this has largely been a fun year.

And only 3 out of the last 17 Devils' wins have come via the shootout, so it's not like that's the only way they're winning games. They've gotten much better in that regard as the season has progressed.

#30 FOREVER!

#38 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

I've noticed that Parise just isn't using his two patented moves nearly as much lately. The forehand fake to backhand top shelf, then the second of faking the first move, but going back to the forehand leaving the goalie deked out of his panties. He seems to be going for simpler moves and even tried to hit 5 hole on a shot last time. I don't know if he's just lost confidence in his moves or if his skill regressed after missing last season and he just can't make that move as reliably as he has in the past, but either way, he's strayed from his previous path and it's not working for him right now.

#39 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

I've noticed that Parise just isn't using his two patented moves nearly as much lately. The forehand fake to backhand top shelf, then the second of faking the first move, but going back to the forehand leaving the goalie deked out of his panties. He seems to be going for simpler moves and even tried to hit 5 hole on a shot last time. I don't know if he's just lost confidence in his moves or if his skill regressed after missing last season and he just can't make that move as reliably as he has in the past, but either way, he's strayed from his previous path and it's not working for him right now.

I think part of it may be that if he doesn't mix it up every now and then goalies are going to know exactly what he's about to do.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users