72 replies to this topic

#21 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

Apparently, they're looking to build it in SoDo (South of Downtown) in the same area where Safeco and the Seahawks stadium. Its a perfect location.

If Seattle does get an NHL team, they'll immediately become my #2 team. I support all Seattle sports. The Seahawks fanbase is RABID, the Mariners fans are more fickle. I have no doubts an NHL team would be supported strongly up there.

Its also worth noting that Sacramento just had their new arena approved. Could hurt Seattle's chances as they dont have the deal yet. The key to the deal right now is the NBA. They were hoping to possibly lure the Kings up there, but with Sac getting a new building, that won't happen. I imagine the Hornets are the only other possibility. The Coyotes are the NHL team that Seattle is targeting, but they wont get the arena without the NBA.

#22 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Apparently, they're looking to build it in SoDo (South of Downtown) in the same area where Safeco and the Seahawks stadium. Its a perfect location.

If Seattle does get an NHL team, they'll immediately become my #2 team. I support all Seattle sports. The Seahawks fanbase is RABID, the Mariners fans are more fickle. I have no doubts an NHL team would be supported strongly up there.

Its also worth noting that Sacramento just had their new arena approved. Could hurt Seattle's chances as they dont have the deal yet. The key to the deal right now is the NBA. They were hoping to possibly lure the Kings up there, but with Sac getting a new building, that won't happen. I imagine the Hornets are the only other possibility. The Coyotes are the NHL team that Seattle is targeting, but they wont get the arena without the NBA.

Didn't the NBA promise Seattle the next team that moves or is created would locate there? I think that was a condition for letting the Supersonics leave.

Add me to the "NHL should be in Seattle" group though, I fly out there once a year to visit my brother and its ripe with hockey fans, there's a bunch of junior teams within reasonably close range. I think a team would flourish over there.

#23 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Didn't the NBA promise Seattle the next team that moves or is created would locate there? I think that was a condition for letting the Supersonics leave.

Add me to the "NHL should be in Seattle" group though, I fly out there once a year to visit my brother and its ripe with hockey fans, there's a bunch of junior teams within reasonably close range. I think a team would flourish over there.

The problem with Seattle has always been the arena. The Sonics left because they couldnt get a new one built as the voters were against it so soon after Safeco and Seahawks Stadium were built. I worked for the Sonics' ticketing in 96-97 when I was a freshman in college and Key Arena was a hole even then. I dont know if the NBA promised them anything, but everything's been contingent on the building.

The Thunderbirds have a fairly healthy fanbase and the WHL is pretty good. That was my intro to minor league hockey actually along with the Spokane Chiefs as we initially moved there after we left the east coast when I was younger. My parents live in Port Townsend now.

Edited by ghdi, 27 February 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#24 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

With the Kings staying in Sacramento and rumors that the Hornets may find local buyers to stay in New Orleans its looking pretty gloomy for this arena project to go through in Seattle. There is no arena without a NBA team. I suppose the people of Quebec are happy with this news as they stay the frontrunners for the next relocated NHL team. They are even doing renovations to the Colisee to make it NHL ready for next season as the new arena gets built.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#25 GA Devil

GA Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

The problem with Seattle has always been the arena. The Sonics left because they couldnt get a new one built as the voters were against it so soon after Safeco and Seahawks Stadium were built. I worked for the Sonics' ticketing in 96-97 when I was a freshman in college and Key Arena was a hole even then. I dont know if the NBA promised them anything, but everything's been contingent on the building.

The Thunderbirds have a fairly healthy fanbase and the WHL is pretty good. That was my intro to minor league hockey actually along with the Spokane Chiefs as we initially moved there after we left the east coast when I was younger. My parents live in Port Townsend now.

God's country right there. Although I prefer Sequim.
Let the celebration begin in the Daneyko household!!!!

#26 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

An important development in the Sacramento Kings saga that leaves the possibility that they may move to Seattle. Remember that the people behind the Seattle arena want a NBA team committed to moving there before they get a NHL team.

http://www.king5.com...-145847205.html

The owners of Sacramento's NBA franchise sent another warning Monday that they will not sign off on a deal to build a new arena complex if they are expected to cover some of the project costs.

The Maloof family, which owns the Sacramento Kings, say they agreed to a deal to become a tenant in the new arena, which would be owned by the city and managed by a third part.

"Pre-development costs are not the responsibility of the tenant. Further as a tenant, we should not be responsible to reimburse the operator for the development if the project never materializes," said Maloof family attorney Eric Rose in a statement released Monday.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#27 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Reads like posturing by the Maloofs. At this point in that "struggle", I think the city could call their bluff and the team wouldnt leave.

#28 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

Deal reached between the City Council and some dude who wants to build a new arena.

#29 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Move the Blue Jackets to Cleveland and change their name to something not terrible!

Ahem it would be cool to see hockey expand to a new market, and Seattle is as good a place as any. Not the best weather while I was stationed there, though. 40 degrees in july and rain everyday. Indoor game though, so not that big a deal.
Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#30 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

I don't think the Blue Jackets can move anywhere after that recent deal they signed with the city (or maybe it was the county)
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#31 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Move the Blue Jackets to Cleveland and change their name to something not terrible!

Ahem it would be cool to see hockey expand to a new market, and Seattle is as good a place as any. Not the best weather while I was stationed there, though. 40 degrees in july and rain everyday. Indoor game though, so not that big a deal.

That is odd. I lived in Seattle for almost a decade. Yes, it rains a buttload in the late fall/all winter but the summers were the best Ive ever experienced. It doesnt get disgusting hot, but it definitely got into the low 80s with far more sunny days in the summer than rainy. I can't recall it ever being as low as 40 in July. If it did, it had to have been an anomaly. The coolest July Ive ever experienced was in Scotland when it was 50 something on July 4th.

#32 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Not saying it will happen but if the Isles have to move eventually I'd rather see them in Seattle than Brooklyn.

#33 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

The people in Seattle are thankful for what Chris Hansen is doing for them.

http://thankyouchrishansen.com/

#34 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

The people in Seattle are thankful for what Chris Hansen is doing for them.

http://thankyouchrishansen.com/

This was the best one :lol:

http://thankyouchris...00a1c00f9_7.jpg

minor NSFW warning: explicit language.

#35 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

http://www.king5.com...-173211591.html

It appears the Seattle arena project has a date for final votes of approval from the city and county councils -- Monday, October 15.

King County Councilmember Joe McDermott and Seattle City Councilmember Tim Burgess both said late Monday that they have agreed on minor language changes to the arena project legislation and hope to have a “dual vote” of the councils next Monday.

#36 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Funny how existing teams face so much opposition from the city when they want a taxpayer funded arena or stadium to be built but the minute the team leaves, the city is desperate to get one built at any cost.

Not saying either side is right as there are equally as many pros as there are cons to building a stadium with taxpayer money but it always interested me in the politics that goes into these things and the mindset of the politicians and public.

#37 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

For some reason I've been following this story but here is finally some HUGE news. While this is NBA related it has an impact on the the potential of the NHL to go to Seattle:

@ChrisDaniels5
"BREAKING: Source tells me deal on Kings-to-#Seattle to be announced soon, perhaps as early as Monday/Tuesday. #NBA"
"BREAKING: Any #Kings-to-Seattle deal would be subject to approval by the NBA Board of Governors."
"I cannot confirm the #'s yet, but if it's $525M for 65%, that's going to be hard for Sacramento to match."
"If # is $525M, + $300M more for #SeattleArena, we're talking $800-850 in private investment by Hansen/Ballmer. Unprecedented for #Seattle."

@ESPNSteinLine
"Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say"
"Kings deal to Seattle group still requires formal NBA ratification but Hansen group intends to file for relocation by March 1 if approved"

#38 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Maybe the LA media will finally respect the Kings now?

#39 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Wild stuff, I always feel bad at this sort of stuff as I remeber the stress of thinking the devils would be moved and just feeling horrible when the Nets were sold to someone that was going to move them. I would love to have an NBA team in our arena and maybe our own NJ network but it does kind of suck to feel like it comes at the expense of others.

#40 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I feel bad for Kings fans, but considering the way Seattle got screwed out of their team, I'm happy about this.

http://sonicsgate.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users