432 replies to this topic

#261 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

I have a feeling the reason Palmieri is up with the club is that he's being showcased for a trade.. That said, he was really hustling last night, a real bright spot on the 4th line.

We'll see what happens.

Made sense. He was probably told about the deal in place which may have provided an extra spark. He knows hes low on the totem pole here now or was rather.

Edited by ghdi, 24 February 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#262 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Well (assuming I'm labeling him correctly) this is that PMD (albeit not a 1st pairing one) that everyone always says the Devils need. Plenty of space for other guys after this year, so I'm not worried about it. Hopefully he works out

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#263 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

To be honest, Vellieux was just AHL depth and Palmieri didn't have a spot here. The 2nd hurts but it is a sellers market.

Better than not taking the trade and not upgrading. Hopefully Zidlicky can help us.

Agreed. We did not lose anything we can't replace really fast through a variety of methods. Zidlicky could be a good get, or hes Havelid/Klee or one of those guys. Im definitely more ok with it than not.

#264 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

I don't like the second and I don't like $4mm next year. I am not as angry as I first was but don't think this is that great.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#265 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Not surprised at this either:

Michelle Kenneth ‏ @MichelleKenneth
Lemaire was one of the deciding factors in going after Zidlicky. Lou was happy w/ Lemaire's reports.

#266 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Agreed. We did not lose anything we can't replace really fast through a variety of methods. Zidlicky could be a good get, or hes Havelid/Klee or one of those guys. Im definitely more ok with it than not.

But you didn't have to pay Havelid or Klee $4 million for another year.

The $4 million he's owed next year would have made this a non-starter for me.

Edited by Daniel, 24 February 2012 - 09:16 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#267 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

how much money did we save by dealing out what we just did?? honestly you cant hate this trade until you see what he does. he has a ton of talent, but has not shown it yet this year. he COULD flourish under our system, we'll just have to see

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#268 jamieleewv

jamieleewv

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

This could work a change of scenary can do.wonders just look at ponikarovksy.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

#269 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

I haven't been able to confirm this but my friend told me that the conditional 3rd in 2013 only goes to Minnesota if the Devils reach the conference finals and Zidlicky plays 75% of the games in the first 2 rounds.

I can see the Devils losing in the first or second round so after this condition and the 3 players that had no future here, I am viewing this deal as Zidlicky for a 2nd (Washington's). The Devils still have their 2nd rounder so overall I am pleased with this deal.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#270 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

I'm ok with this trade. I don't think any of the players we traded will ammount to much, so the most valuable things we gave up were really the picks which are always a cr@pshoot. It's worth it in my opinion if Loou thinks Zidlicky will help win a cup.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#271 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

I haven't been able to confirm this but my friend told me that the conditional 3rd in 2013 only goes to Minnesota if the Devils reach the conference finals and Zidlicky plays 75% of the games in the first 2 rounds.

I can see the Devils losing in the first or second round so after this condition and the 3 players that had no future here, I am viewing this deal as Zidlicky for a 2nd (Washington's). The Devils still have their 2nd rounder so overall I am pleased with this deal.

I hope the conditions are met. That would mean we atleast made it past two rounds :D

greene-fayne
volchenkov-salvador
larsson-zidlicky

not horrible, not amazing

Edited by Mayday, 24 February 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#272 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Not surprised at this either:

The problem is Lemaire hasn't been his coach for 3 seasons. A lot changes in 3 years.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#273 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

The problem is Lemaire hasn't been his coach for 3 seasons. A lot changes in 3 years.

He's still a special assignment guy for Lou. I'd venture he still watches a hockey game every now and then and watches tape for Lou, especially considering he's still been a coach for the prior two seasons.

If Lemaire has given Lou good reports, I'm satisfied.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#274 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Zidlicky is no better than a traffic cone on defense. I would assume the hatred for Foster's lack of D will be quickly transferred....and at $4 mil next year, he won't be going away.

#275 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Puck Daddy article on the trade:

Minnesota Wild trade Marek Zidlicky to Devils, actually get something of value for him

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#276 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

Puck Daddy article on the trade:

Minnesota Wild trade Marek Zidlicky to Devils, actually get something of value for him

DeBoer on Palmieri:

"This was a guy I pretty handed a top-six forward job to off the bat and he slowly worked himself out of that."

#277 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Lou on Zid acquisition: (Per TG)

Lamoriello said "in our opinion" Zidlicky is a top two defenseman he tried to get him when Nashville traded him to Minnesota.

This guy should sell used cars!

"In our opinion this Honda Civic is really a Lexus...."
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#278 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,492 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

It's a bit much but Palmieri is waiver-eligible next year and the Devils had him in the organization for 3 years - he just doesn't do enough well to stick at the NHL level. Foster is a negative, as is Veilleux - so it's largely a 2nd for Zidlicky, which I'm okay with. I imagine there was a market bigger than NJ for his services.

I wonder if the Wild trade Foster somewhere else.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#279 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Well I for one am glad our defense is getting younger! :rolleyes:

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#280 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Some interesting audio from Lou on the Zidlicky Trade:

Lou Interview

- Lou consulted Dave Barr and Larry Robinson on the deal; also Lemaire.

- Zid's interest in playing in NJ was a factor

- LL's regards him as a Top 4 and even a Top 2 D-man.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users