432 replies to this topic

#321 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

No way Fayne sits over Greene. Big fan of the trade. Its Zidlicky for a 2nd and as mentioned earlier, gives us room to add on a couple of contracts getting farther away from the limit of 50.

#322 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

if he can score ONE goal like that in the in his Devils tenure... then it was worth it

edit: sucks that most of his videos on youtube are him getting drilled or fighting (and mostly losing)

Edited by SterioDesign, 25 February 2012 - 01:34 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#323 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

Greene has been one of our best D-Men. Fayne has been the weakest link, easily.

#324 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

Would you really feel comfortable throwing Kurtis Foster out for a regular shift in the playoffs? The guy is a total disaster on the back end. He helped the power play, but either NJ was going to have to dress 7 D or take their chances with a guy that couldn't be trusted late in games.

I don't know who Zidlicky was willing to waive his NTC for, but Chicago is desperate for a d-man and probably would've given up a similar package.

Problem is that I'm not that comfortable with Zidlicky out for extended shifts either. Is he more trustworthy than Foster? Sure, but we weren't paying Foster $4M or giving up some picks and prospects for keeping him here.

I'm not doubting at all that Zidlicky is a better player and ultimately will give us a better edge than with Foster. What I'm worried about is that we gave up too much (the 2nd rounder really hurts) and that his $4M will be an issue next year.

#325 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

Edit: Or, even better, We can call him Informer. Zidlicky boom boom dooooooowwwn. (If you're under the age of 25, look it up.)

Informer is why I wanted to call him Licky in the first place hahaha.

#326 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:56 AM

TG's tweets are calming my anger about this trade...

Tom Gulitti‏@TGfireandice

I know it seems like the Devils gave up a lot for Zidlicky, but was it really?

Only player that was really playing that they gave up was Foster, who they got for Pelley and Fraser, who were not playing before trade.

If they have to give up the 2013 3rd rounder, that means they reached conference finals this year. Wouldn't that be worth it?

Not to mention, I'm not as concerned with the $4 mil next year. Even with Zidlicky, they're projected to have $22 million of cap space. Zidlicky is not going to make or break the chance of signing Parise. Especially since there are only 5 players under contract after next season (Kovy, Volchenkov, Tallinder, Greene, Larsson).

#327 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

I'm not doubting at all that Zidlicky is a better player and ultimately will give us a better edge than with Foster. What I'm worried about is that we gave up too much (the 2nd rounder really hurts) and that his $4M will be an issue next year.

That makes no sense. Why does the 2nd rounder "really hurt"? If you think Zidlicky gives us the better edge then it's a good trade because we are going for the Cup THIS year. That's the thought process in making the trade.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#328 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:16 AM

It's an overpayment but if Zidlicky works out I don't mind paying it. I also don't mind paying it if the team goes to the conference finals.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#329 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

Greene has been one of our best D-Men. Fayne has been the weakest link, easily.

Still don't understand how some people insist that Fayne is a terrible defender

#330 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

Bottom line; MZ will help this years Cup aspirations. Those other players and the 2nd round pick will not. A solid playoff performance this year may also go a long way in convincing Zach this is the place to be.

Edited by njdevsftw, 25 February 2012 - 08:01 AM.

Posted Image

#331 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

this appears to be an amicable ending to the foster fiasco! so Im happy. lets see what marek brings to the table as far as puck control and stick work near and behind our net. foster was brutal there, and its obvious we needed to sweeten the pot to the wild to dump him

#332 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm OK with it. Sure, the 2nd stings but that's the cost of doing business this year.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#333 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

To me it looks like Lou was willing to overpay a bit to give Marty another run or two at the Cup.
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#334 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

This trade tells me two things:

1) There was a market for Zidlicky.

2) Lou clearly thinks his team is a bona-fide Cup contender.

Not sure why anyone would bitch too much about losing Pelley, Fraser, Palmieri, Villieux, or Foster. None of those guys were going to make or break the Devils.

The 2nd rounder and Zid's $4 million are concerns, but this has the feel of a "gut move" for Lou. Sometimes guys like him get that gut feeling and go with it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 February 2012 - 09:11 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#335 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

TG taking a shot at the Post article saying we couldn't add money "Devils did increase payroll again today with that trade, by the way. Vernon Wormer will be upset." https://twitter.com/#!/TGfireandice

#336 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

It's only an overpayment psychologically cause you're giving up four, maybe five pieces for one player, plus we were led to believe Zidlicky would go for less both because he was trying to decrease the value by saying he'd only waive for the Devils and all the initial reports were for less.

But only the picks have any real value, at least to me since I was never a NaPalm fan even last year. And the second-rounder is pretty much market for a defenseman since stay-at-home defensemen were also going for 2's, you had to figure the only real puck-moving d-man on the market would also go for a 2. And who cares about a 3rd two years from now if both conditions wind up being met, it'll be a fun Spring. If not, then you only give up a 2 and still have Zidlicky next year.

Plus what's being looked on as a negative (the full extra year) can be a positive just as easily, if not more so. Now we don't have to rush one of the kids and Zidlicky's more than a straight rental.

TG taking a shot at the Post article saying we couldn't add money "Devils did increase payroll again today with that trade, by the way. Vernon Wormer will be upset." https://twitter.com/#!/TGfireandice

Unfortunately the Post can still point to the fact we randomly threw in Palmeri and Vellieux as proof we needed to kick back extra money to the Wild. If anything the three bodies we gave up have negative value :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#337 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,619 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

As TG points out Palmieri and Veilleux's AHL salaries for the rest of the year are $40,000, which is literally nothing. It's much more likely that the Devils wanted to clear their reserve list, and that Minnesota wants bodies to finish out their year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#338 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Good read on this:

http://espn.go.com/b...-fit-for-devils
DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#339 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

As TG points out Palmieri and Veilleux's AHL salaries for the rest of the year are $40,000, which is literally nothing. It's much more likely that the Devils wanted to clear their reserve list, and that Minnesota wants bodies to finish out their year.

And here's the Post's inevitable rebuttal to how we were able to make this deal with our 'secret budget':

(N)Єverson

Lamoriello found a way to get Zidlicky and still remain beneath the secret payroll budget he operates under while the Devils receive advances on coming revenue from the league. Only $923,000 of Zidlicky’s $4 million salary for this season remains, and that is nearly offset by the departure of the $418,000 left on Foster’s salary, the $329,000 from Palmieri’s deal and $28,000 on Veilleux’s two-way, an additional deficit of only $148,000.

Zidlicky has next season remaining on his contract at $4 million. By then, the Devils might be free of the payroll limit. It is believed the Devils had to include so many players to satisfy that budget now.

So apparently (N)Єverson's only counting Palmeri's NHL salary, as if he's on a one-way deal.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#340 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Or as said before, Lou may of pushed Vellieux onto the Wild so we have more room with the amount of contracts a team can have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users