432 replies to this topic

#41 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

Is it just a little bit silly that I don't want to take that contract off of the Wild's hands and give them more cap space for..other..things?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,554 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Don't be silly, if the Wild wanted to, they could buy out Zidlicky. If they want Parise, Marek Zidlicky's contract isn't going to be what stands in the way of getting him.

But yeah, I'll be surprised if Zidlicky ends up here.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

For comparison shoppings sake, with Zidlicky's contract numbers and his age, is there a better deal out there?

#44 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

I like this move as long as the Devils aren't giving up too much in return for the reasons Jas0nMacIsaac posted. A few weeks ago when I was reading TSN mentioning that he had fallen out of favor with Yeo and was a healthy scratch for quite some time, I decided to take a look at his numbers and I was surprised to see the hate Minnesota had for him. He seems like he can be a solid back pairing guy - certainly an upgrade over Foster.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#45 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

@TGfireandice
Marek Zidlicky is not here.

Petr Sykora missing from Devils' practice today. Stephane Veilleux filling in on line with Patrik Elias and David Clarkson.

LOL, what?

#46 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

LOL, what?

I'd be 99.99% certain Sykora is just resting some "bumps and bruises". I think if the Devils are trading for Zidlicky its going to either be a draft pick or one of the defense prospects that doesn't have high potential, like Taormina. I can't see the Devils moving Urbom or Gelinas for this guy.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 15 February 2012 - 11:39 AM.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#47 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

4m for a pack-pairing defensemen is a little ridiculous though, imo (albeit only for a year)

Yeah and nooo way Skyora is moved...I feel like that'd be a blow to the locker room environment...

Edited by Devilsfan118, 15 February 2012 - 11:41 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#48 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yeah and nooo way Skyora is moved...I feel like that'd be a blow to the locker room environment...

Yep, TG just tweeted Sykora may just be slightly banged up which is why he isn't practicing.

https://twitter.com/#!/TGfireandice/status/169822695830192128

"Sykora had an ice bag on his left wrist/lower arm after last night's game."

#49 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yep, TG just tweeted Sykora may just be slightly banged up which is why he isn't practicing.

https://twitter.com/#!/TGfireandice/status/169822695830192128

"Sykora had an ice bag on his left wrist/lower arm after last night's game."

It may be from when he got hit with a shot during the game last night. I think it was him.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#50 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,183 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Meh, not sure why everyone is getting so excited. He has a huge cap hit, he's 35, and he hasn't been very good since his injury. He says it's the coach, but it could just be the fact that he's aging and the injury slowed him down. I don't think he's that big of an improvement over what we've got, and for the additional cap hit plus giving up something in return, it's really not that worth it IMO.

The cap hit is no factor this year since we have room and very little factor next year considering he'd basically be replacing Salvador's $2.9 million.

He may be finished a la Kaberle, but for the right price it isn't prohibitive to find out. Especially since he adds a dimension we don't really have on the blueline.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 15 February 2012 - 11:54 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#51 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

i know im probably a little behind with this question but how do we know Salvador is leaving??

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#52 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Meh, at $4 mill for next year too I wouldnt want to give up anything for this guy. Yeah, hes an upgrade over Foster but I want our young D-guys to have some spots to fight over.

#53 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

The cap hit is no factor this year since we have room and very little factor next year considering he'd basically be replacing Salvador's $2.9 million.

He may be finished a la Kaberle, but for the right price it isn't prohibitive to find out. Especially since he adds a dimension we don't really have on the blueline.

And Foster isn't that good. He's playing because we want him on the PP and we have injuries, but Zidlicky can only be an improvement, and he's not taking anyone's roster spot, at least not this year.

The second year scares me, though. We don't have the money to buy him out, and if Urbom's ready or Merrill wants to turn pro, I hate to bury them in the AHL because we have to keep an aging, mediocre, expensive player in the lineup. Minnesota's willing to dump him for next to nothing at least partially because he's not worth the money and they have kids who need playing time. How does that make them different from us?

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#54 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

RT @TGfireandice Devils spokesperson says Petr Sykora is "resting."
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#55 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,183 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

And Foster isn't that good. He's playing because we want him on the PP and we have injuries, but Zidlicky can only be an improvement, and he's not taking anyone's roster spot, at least not this year.

The second year scares me, though. We don't have the money to buy him out, and if Urbom's ready or Merrill wants to turn pro, I hate to bury them in the AHL because we have to keep an aging, mediocre, expensive player in the lineup. Minnesota's willing to dump him for next to nothing at least partially because he's not worth the money and they have kids who need playing time. How does that make them different from us?

Blocking a spot next year is my biggest reservation about the deal, but it's not the end of the world. You can buy out Zidlicky (which I'd assume we could do) or trade Greene if you have to. I would say Tallinder but I doubt he's got any value coming off of this season and I don't remember if he has a NTC or not, I know Greene doesn't..

Edited by NJDevs4978, 15 February 2012 - 12:10 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#56 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Meh, not sure why everyone is getting so excited. He has a huge cap hit, he's 35, and he hasn't been very good since his injury. He says it's the coach, but it could just be the fact that he's aging and the injury slowed him down. I don't think he's that big of an improvement over what we've got, and for the additional cap hit plus giving up something in return, it's really not that worth it IMO.

Who cares about the cap hit, they have probably $20M prorated hit left. If they can get someone like that cheap, why not? The back-end of their D right now is not exactly murder's row. Wouldn't give up anything substantial, but if they're willing to give him away I wouldn't pass. Doesn't work out, buy him out and take dead cap hit for the next two seasons.

#57 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Meh, at $4 mill for next year too I wouldnt want to give up anything for this guy. Yeah, hes an upgrade over Foster but I want our young D-guys to have some spots to fight over.

Salvador is off the books next year. It's just an extra million.

#58 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,554 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Who cares about the cap hit, they have probably $20M prorated hit left. If they can get someone like that cheap, why not? The back-end of their D right now is not exactly murder's row. Wouldn't give up anything substantial, but if they're willing to give him away I wouldn't pass. Doesn't work out, buy him out and take dead cap hit for the next two seasons.

This would be true if the Devils weren't facing the possibility of bankruptcy.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#59 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

I wouldn't put it past Lou to bring Salvador back next year. He'd a good locker room guy and is having a good season thus far.
Posted Image

#60 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Perhaps the initial report jumped the gun....

https://twitter.com/#!/Russostrib/status/169830925218222080

"Marek Zidlicky is practicing for #mnwild"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users