432 replies to this topic

#61 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,763 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

The original report definitely jumped the gun, I just wonder who leaked the information. It would seem to be a very silly ploy on the agent's part - I don't know why he confirmed it. Everyone knows that Zidlicky wants out.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#62 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Who cares about the cap hit, they have probably $20M prorated hit left. If they can get someone like that cheap, why not? The back-end of their D right now is not exactly murder's row. Wouldn't give up anything substantial, but if they're willing to give him away I wouldn't pass. Doesn't work out, buy him out and take dead cap hit for the next two seasons.

Who care's about cap hit? He makes almost as much as Rolston, and that was just a lovely thing to have on our books. Zidlicky is most likely in decline, he was injured, and he's not having a good year. More likely than not, he will not be good for us, and I'd much rather not waste $4M in cap space for such an experiment when he has another season on his contract. Also, aside from the Devils financial problems, buying out is a terrible option and we already have enough of those.

#63 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

No to Zidlicky. Lou better uses that money and cap room to re-sign Zach.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#64 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Who care's about cap hit? He makes almost as much as Rolston, and that was just a lovely thing to have on our books. Zidlicky is most likely in decline, he was injured, and he's not having a good year. More likely than not, he will not be good for us, and I'd much rather not waste $4M in cap space for such an experiment when he has another season on his contract. Also, aside from the Devils financial problems, buying out is a terrible option and we already have enough of those.

You're overthinking it. They may find themselves in a position, because of Kovy's deal, where they have to carry dead cap space anyway. It's not a big risk for roughly $1M this season + a pick and something middling. If it doesn't work, you buy him out for $2.6M, and at that point the other 29 owners might be paying that $2.6M.

If it costs anything more than that, you don't do it.

This would be true if the Devils weren't facing the possibility of bankruptcy.

Clearly not operating that way this year. Next year, if they are, this has buyout ploy written all over it, and it's not like Lou is personally going to have to pay that money.

#65 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,763 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

A buyout doesn't help the Devils' finances at all, so I don't know what you're suggesting. Zidlicky wasn't a 35+ contract. Putting dead money on the cap is exactly that - even if the Devils have to get to the salary floor next year, which I seriously doubt, they are much better served doing it with a player than with nothing.

#66 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

A buyout doesn't help the Devils' finances at all, so I don't know what you're suggesting. Zidlicky wasn't a 35+ contract. Putting dead money on the cap is exactly that - even if the Devils have to get to the salary floor next year, which I seriously doubt, they are much better served doing it with a player than with nothing.

I'm suggesting there's a significant chance they will be in stewardship next year and it doesn't matter. And they have so many young/cheap players that it becomes difficult to overcome the gap in Kovy's deal without dead space. If they went dollar for dollar, a $52M cap hit would cost them $56.3M cash.

They need to counterbalance that if they are not going to be a big spender.

#67 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,763 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

I'm suggesting there's a significant chance they will be in stewardship next year and it doesn't matter.

This is a hilariously bad faith move.

And they have so many young/cheap players that it becomes difficult to overcome the gap in Kovy's deal without dead space. If they went dollar for dollar, a $52M cap hit would cost them $56.3M cash.

What are you talking about? The Devils are at 38 million for next season right now. They have Fayne's contract (~2M) in significant RFAs. But they have 0 goalies signed next year and even if Parise leaves, they are likely to sign a top-six forward. Call it $3M for goalies and $4M for a top six forward. Now we're at $47M. And there's still 6 more players to fill out the rest of the roster. And the Devils can stay under the floor until the league locks out and when the cap comes down they might be compliant. Acquiring dead space is the act of the desperate, not a move to make in February. The only way this makes sense is if Lou is punting next year, which I don't think he is.

Edited by Triumph, 15 February 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#68 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

assuming salvador is done is jumping the gun

as a side note, boulton is 35 y/o

id like something for palmieri
Posted Image

#69 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Zidlicky is a really good player in my opinion. Good skater, good shot, can move the puck well, has great hands, and has a scoring touch which this team desperately needs on defense. Hes automatically 2nd on our defense with 13 pts with only playing 39gms. I think our defense needs this with Tallinder Salvador Fayne and Volchenkov not doing much pt wise. We need a more offensive defense in case our forwards cannot get it done. Hes a huge upgrade over foster even though he still has a year left on this deal. I say do it without giving up much.

Edited by Zubie#8, 15 February 2012 - 01:51 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#70 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/Russostrib/status/169849976967528448

"Zidlicky sounds like he thinks something could still happen today: "we'll see next couple hours. I'm here right now." #mnwiId"

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#71 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/Russostrib/status/169849976967528448

"Zidlicky sounds like he thinks something could still happen today: "we'll see next couple hours. I'm here right now." #mnwiId"

The fact that he wants to come here is doesn't hurt. Napalm and a 4th and we'll take him.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#72 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm just surprised there's a player who offered to waive his NTC to come to only New Jersey.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#73 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'm just surprised there's a player who offered to waive his NTC to come to only New Jersey.

Makes me feel good and proud !!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#74 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

Him being very close friends with Elias probably has something to do with it

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#75 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

he's friends with Elias and Sykora

#76 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

Obviously winning the cup in his career was never his top priority. :giggle:
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#77 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

This is a hilariously bad faith move.

What are you talking about? The Devils are at 38 million for next season right now. They have Fayne's contract (~2M) in significant RFAs. But they have 0 goalies signed next year and even if Parise leaves, they are likely to sign a top-six forward. Call it $3M for goalies and $4M for a top six forward. Now we're at $47M. And there's still 6 more players to fill out the rest of the roster. And the Devils can stay under the floor until the league locks out and when the cap comes down they might be compliant. Acquiring dead space is the act of the desperate, not a move to make in February. The only way this makes sense is if Lou is punting next year, which I don't think he is.

They're not acquiring dead space. I was just saying if he busted, it's not the worst thing that happened, they are not on the books for $4M with him, they're on the books for $2.6M cash and split over 2 years cap.

I am just using the prior history of where NHL owned teams have been vis a vis the floor. This year really isn't relevant because they're clearly not operating under that condition, with their payroll being where it is.

And why would they lower the cap and not keep linkage, in which case the signed players salaries would drop by the same % as the cap does?

#78 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think Lou is more likely to chance a trade for a guy who has one year left on a deal - with a possible intention of a buyout amnesty in the next CBA.

#79 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

mobility is never bad to have.

#80 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

I wonder what Denis Potvin has heard on the subject.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users