1023 replies to this topic

#941 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Risky deal but I think its worth it and its great to see he'll most likely end up being a career Met. Hopefully he stays healthy and productive for the duration of it. Do you think the Mets are going to try to upgrade the roster anywhere else? It would make a lot of sense given they just re-signed their franchise player.

Probably not much in 2013. I'd like to see them sign a couple mid-tier outfielders like Shane Victorino and Cody Ross but realistically the best they'll do is just one (would by far prefer Victorino). But next year they'll be looking at plenty of cash to play with, even with this signing and even if Dickey is resigned.

With this current group, as tough as it may be to imagine for some, they really aren't that far from contending. The infield is solid and the rotation is a strength, not even accounting for Wheeler. Dave Cameron had a fantastic article about this over at Fangraphs today: http://www.fangraphs...-that-far-away/

David Wright is going to be 30, not 40, next year. R.A Dickey is a knuckleballer, so his age is about as irrelevant as any pitcher in the game. These guys are not on the precipice of losing all of their value. They can regress and still be good enough to be the two best players on a winning team. The Mets just need to flank them with fewer embarrassments. And, thankfully, those are the easiest upgrades to make.

Trade Duda to an AL team with a real outfielder to spare. Grab a couple of interesting guys who have been productive in limited roles and could use a full time job to show what they can do. Snag a couple of low cost relievers with some upside. There are five or six fairly easy wins to be added here, simply in replacing the dregs around the roster. And the Mets are five or six wins away from being on the fringes of the playoff race. Add in the huge swings in outcomes that can’t really be predicted based on things like hitting with runners in scoring position or winning one run games, and the idea that the Mets are years away from even dreaming about a 90 win season just doesn’t add up.

They’re not the best team in the NL East, certainly. They’re probably not going to make the playoffs in 2013. But, given the wide variance around both player and team performance and the pieces they have in place after re-signing Wright, this team could easily be a player in 2014. And, by re-signing Wright, they’ve given themselves a chance to pull an Orioles/A’s upset and move the timetable forward if things break right.

So, I say good for the Mets on not giving up on their short term future. They just aren’t anywhere close to being bad enough to justify punting the next few years while they wait for the farm system to develop new stars to build around. They already have stars to build around. They can win with the ones they have now.

Edited by nmigliore, 30 November 2012 - 09:31 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#942 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

Looks like Sandy is considering trading Dickey, or at least is open to the idea...can't say I disagree...Mets are selling high and as long as they don't get fleeced and get some legit prospects back, it's understandable why Sandy would do this. Dickey was terrific last season, and has been good as a Met overall, but who knows if he's got another 2012 in him.

If he moves Niese though, I'm going to be pissed, unless it's for a great return...he's young, his contract is reasonable, and he's coming off his best season. I can see selling high on a 38-year-old Dickey, but not on a 26-year-old Niese. If Sandy trades both Dickey AND Niese, he can say whatever he wants, but he's punting on 2013 at that point.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#943 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,681 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

I'd be pissed because trading Niese would be a Paul Holmgren-type deal...sign a guy to a long below-market extension, then trade him right before the extension kicks in. There really should be some honor involved in those cases if the guy cuts the team a break, AT LEAST don't trade him for a year or so.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 04 December 2012 - 07:36 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#944 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

I'd be pissed because trading Niese would be a Paul Holmgren-type deal...sign a guy to a long below-market extension, then trade him right before the extension kicks in. There really should be some honor involved in those cases, AT LEAST don't trade the guy for a year or so.

To me, Niese should be a nice #3 or #4 going forward, for the length of his deal...you need guys like that in your rotation. Harvey and Wheeler could be terrific down the line, but as we saw with Generation K, things can have a way of not going to plan...and yeah, Harvey looked good when he came up, but so did Izzy (went 9-2 as a starter) and Pulse when they first came up...at least with Niese, we have a good idea of what we're getting...he should be able to win 11-14 games in each of the next few years. Not bad for a #3 or #4

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 December 2012 - 07:42 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#945 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

I want Dickey resigned. I just think it's silly to resign Wright, whose best years are theoretically going to come at the forefront of his deal given his age and somewhat-suppressed AAV, and then kick your 2013-15 chances in the nuts by trading Dickey. It would be especially terrible if you do it for a package of prospects who may not contribute at the Major League level for a few years. Getting back "now"-talent is more acceptable, but even then, are you sure you're getting enough back? I really don't know, it depends no whose coming back, which is where you have to trust the GM to make the right call. This entire subject has been difficult and I've wavered a lot in recent weeks. I just think keeping him makes the most sense, but what do I know.

Based on the rumors yesterday, it does seem like Sandy is asking for the world for Dickey, at least.

Edited by nmigliore, 04 December 2012 - 09:39 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#946 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

That's the thing...Sandy can't get A ball-level talent back, no matter how good it's projected to be. He has to get back guys that can help by 2014 and even have a shot at getting called up in 2013. Seems like he at least understands that.

#30 FOREVER!

#947 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

fvck the Mets if they end up trading Dickey and dont end up with a massive kings ransom. No arincibia/gose stuff
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#948 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Arencibia would be a JOKE. He's a young Miguel Olivo. I like Gose but you'd need more. Sandy and the front office should be blasted if that duo ends up the return.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#949 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,681 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

http://www.nj.com/me..._mets_seem.html

I don't really get this...if the Mets want to trade Dickey then they should trade him (god knows they need to trade 'something' to get offensive help), but to lose him ostensibly over $6 million on a two-year deal seems like a petty excuse.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#950 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

I don't get it either. I would just extend him. 2/26 is very reasonable.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#951 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Okay I'm going to temper excitement for now but Jeff Passan says Travis d'Arnaud is in the deal. If true, I'm doing a complete 180 on this deal. He's the guy the Mets NEEDED to get. If they can pull this off I'm going to be very happy. Anything more is just gravy too.

There might be more parts on the Mets going the other way too, so we'll see what happens here.

Edited by nmigliore, 15 December 2012 - 08:49 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#952 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Den Dekker is supposedly the spare part that would go to Toronto. But yes, d'Arnaud must be in the deal or it should not get done. The fact that it's not done already leads me to believe Toronto brass are perhaps split on including him.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#953 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Den Dekker is supposedly the spare part that would go to Toronto.

Where did you read that? I haven't heard anything on any of the Met players going the other way sans Dickey.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#954 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Joel Sherman says Gose is not in a deal, but d'Arnaud definitely is. I'm really just tired of all these rumors, something needs to happen already.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#955 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

I thought I saw it on metsblog

#956 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,681 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

I guess this Dickey trade's going to take almost as long as the CBA lol...supposedly the delay could be anything from players getting physicals (harder on the weekend) to the Jays maybe wanting to ink Dickey to an extension or still haggling over players involved in the deal :P

At this point I'd rather see him traded just so he can get out of this mess. And it sounds like we'd be getting a good return anyway, which the Mets kinda need to do regardless - trading an older player for younger value at need positions.

#957 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

The rumored deal, or framework anyway, sounds too good to be true. I'll believe it when I see it.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#958 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

The rumored deal, or framework anyway, sounds too good to be true. I'll believe it when I see it.

Looks like the Jays are in win right now mode. Probably a great time to capitalize with the current state of the AL East and how pathetic the rest of the Toronto sports market is. I guess this is why you stockpile prospects. But this would leave the Jays farm system pretty bare above A Ball.

Dickey would make the Jays rotation pretty ridiculous.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#959 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

The current rumored framework is here. Dickey, Thole, and X for d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, John Buck, and Y, with both X and Y expected to be low-level prospects.

All of this is per Joel Sherman. Also per his Twitter:
"If this goes thru, Alderson will have cashed Beltran/Dickey into 3 Top 50 prospects: Wheeler/d'Arnaud/Syndergaard. #Mets #prettygood"
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#960 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

The current rumored framework is here. Dickey, Thole, and X for d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, John Buck, and Y, with both X and Y expected to be low-level prospects.

All of this is per Joel Sherman. Also per his Twitter:
"If this goes thru, Alderson will have cashed Beltran/Dickey into 3 Top 50 prospects: Wheeler/d'Arnaud/Syndergaard. #Mets #prettygood"

Basically any non-Wheeler Met prospect could fill in and still make that deal look amazing for the Mets.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users