1023 replies to this topic

#1021 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

The Oswalt interest was already shot down by his agent. I would have loved to add him for depth but it just wasn't a good match after we signed Marcum. He can find a better opportunity elsewhere or sit out a few months like he did last year.

I doubt we sign Bourn, but things could get interesting if the league rules that the Mets can keep their 1st round pick. I doubt that actually happens and they'd still have to deal with Boras. Still, if Bourn's market has collapsed so badly that he'd take a 3 year deal for something like $45M, I'd definitely do it, even if we have to give up the 11th overall pick in the draft. That's just such a bargain for what he brings.

Edited by nmigliore, 26 January 2013 - 11:35 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1022 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Mets signed LaTroy Hawkins and Marlon Byrd off the scrap heap....minor league deals for each.

Byrd may very well be done. Hawkins has been pretty decent the past 2 seasons.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1023 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

If Byrd has anything left in the tank, he could be okay. I wouldn't be surprised if he's cooked either, but it might be unfair to say that based on ~150 PA in 2012, and he was a pretty decent player for the Cubs in 2010 and 2011, after all.

He'll compete for the last outfield spot on the bench with Andrew Brown. I think the outfield could end up being very fluid this year with multiple players getting chances given that the current group is largely inexperienced - Kirk, Baxter, and Cowgill each have less than 350 PA for their Major League careers. If one, two, or all three flop, then what happens? Ideally these guys hold their weight against RHP and Cowgill and Byrd platoon with them, but that's basically the best case scenario. For a team with such an inexperienced and ugly-looking outfield, there's no harm picking up a player like Byrd on a freebie deal and seeing what he has left. If he's finished, he won't last very long. The outfield won't be a strength of this team at all this year, but adding as many bodies as possible could help it from being a complete embarrassment.

Edited by nmigliore, 02 February 2013 - 10:25 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1024 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

EDIT: See new thread.

Edited by nmigliore, 11 February 2013 - 11:44 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users