1023 replies to this topic

#121 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Man, Kirk Nieuwenhuis has been excellent. His propensity for striking out worries me a little, and I'm trying not to get too excited over ~35 plate appearances, but it's looking more and more difficult to send him back down once Torres is healthy.

These are the things we have to try to enjoy, and hope for...nice stories, unexpected surprises.

7-5 doesn't sound too great after a 4-0 start, but if you had told me the Mets would go 4-2 at home and then 3-3 on the road to start the season, I would've jumped all over that...puts them on pace for 94 wins. We all know the Mets aren't coming anywhere near 94 wins, but just goes to show that they really have had a nice start to the season overall.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#122 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

I really hate Jason Bay.

Okay, I'm totally overreacting to his strikeout in the 10th, but my opinion has always been the same - he really needs to be put into a platoon. When Torres comes back, roll with Kirk-Torres-Duda (or Duda-Kirk-Torres) and use Bay to spot Duda and Kirk vs lefties. That's pretty much the only use Bay has now anyway; he can't touch righties and that's been clear for 3 years now.

Ike Davis took an 0-for-5 tonight. I hate to get on him but aside from the few homeruns, he's been absolutely horrible. Just doesn't look comfortable at the plate right now. Hopefully he snaps this funk sooner than later.

Edited by nmigliore, 20 April 2012 - 11:27 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#123 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I really hate Jason Bay.

Okay, I'm totally overreacting to his strikeout in the 10th, but my opinion has always been the same - he really needs to be put into a platoon. When Torres comes back, roll with Kirk-Torres-Duda (or Duda-Kirk-Torres) and use Bay to spot Duda and Kirk vs lefties. That's pretty much the only use Bay has now anyway; he can't touch righties and that's been clear for 3 years now.

Ike Davis took an 0-for-5 tonight. I hate to get on him but aside from the few homeruns, he's been absolutely horrible. Just doesn't look comfortable at the plate right now. Hopefully he snaps this funk sooner than later.

You know they're going to give Bay every opportunity to be the everyday guy, whether he deserves it or not, simply because of the money he's got coming to him...sucks, but that's the reality.

And yeah, Ike looks terrible.

7-6...the fall back to Earth is happening, but at least there's positives...like Niese battling his way to a respectable outing, and the Mets finding a way to tie it up before losing.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#124 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Row 2 of Pepsi porch last night, overlooking the bullpen. Might be the best seats in the place.

#125 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

I dont understand whats wrong with Davis...cant catch up to 89 mph fastballs?
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#126 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

only the mets
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#127 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Row 2 of Pepsi porch last night, overlooking the bullpen. Might be the best seats in the place.

Haven't been up there in a year but they are great value seats.

Fun time at Citi today. The 9th inning was insane on both sides with the comedic amount of errors.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#128 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

I dont understand whats wrong with Davis...cant catch up to 89 mph fastballs?

I'm not a professional coach by any measure, just merely a ball player, but the way Davis moves his hands up, down, and back again before swinging looks terrible to me. I would never swing that way, nor advise anyone else to (see David Wright for a great swing if you're looking at Mets). Maybe he can do it (he made it this far after all), and just needs to work out a small timing problem, but that pre-swing routine seems like putting yourself in a hole as a batter to me.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#129 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Davis has always had awkward swing mechanics. He quickened his load last season and it seemed to be paying off before getting hurt. He's just a mess right now though and it's more than just bad luck on balls in play.

Miguel Batista is making the spot start today. Still scratching my head to why he's on the roster. He can't fool anyone.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#130 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

8-8 and falling in a hurry. It was fun while it lasted.

#30 FOREVER!

#131 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Bay is going to the DL after hurting himself on last night's diving catch and now Pelfrey's right elbow is barking. Pelfrey news stings more; he's actually looked okay so far this year and is throwing harder. A ligament tear hasn't been ruled out either; yikes.

Reliever Rob Carson is coming up for the Miami series and then he'll be replaced by a starter. That almost certainly means Chris Schwinden.

Edited by nmigliore, 24 April 2012 - 03:20 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#132 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,991 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Figures just when the Devil season is about to end the Mets come crashing down. Oh well, it wasn't going to last forever.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#133 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

Bay going on the DL probably isn't the worst thing...Bay is a lost cause, and he won't be part of the Mets' contending future, whenever that comes.

Too bad for Pelf, in that he was off to a decent start, but by the end of the season he probably would've turned in a typical Pelf year. He's another guy that was iffy in the Mets' long-term plans.

Reyes off to a pretty crappy start so far...a .215 average, .278 OB%. He'll obviously improve, and will break out with a hot streak before long...no way he doesn't finish the season with at least a .280 average and .350 OB%, but he'll never hit like he did last season, which is the player the Marlins paid for...provided he stays healthy.

#30 FOREVER!

#134 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

David Wright!
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#135 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

David's been terrific. Nice early-season story for sure.

For me, this season is about how long the Mets can stay above .500. So far, so good.

#30 FOREVER!

#136 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

http://www.metsblog....o-minors-deals/

Mets sign Brad Emaus, Fred Lewis to minors deals

I remember Emaus and the sh!tload of nothing he did last year...but Lewis is intriguing. High OBP guy, good speed.

#137 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Emaus and Lewis are very solid depth signings. If he's healthy, Lewis could probably have positive value on a Major League roster right now while Emaus has a nice track record of hitting upper-minors pitching. The Mets have been forced to call on a lot of Buffalo's roster lately, so it's nice to see them bring in some players for not only Major League depth but for the sake of Buffalo as well.

Edited by nmigliore, 26 April 2012 - 09:20 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#138 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Full home grown line up today. Pretty awesome if you ask me. Now we just need some pitchers. Thankfully we have the cavalry and they appear to be well on their way to the bigs.

#139 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

That was an astounding at-bat by Turner! SWEET!!
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#140 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

WOW! Kirk Nieuwenhuis! Hell of a job by everyone that inning - Wright with the walk, Turner with an incredible at bat, and then Kirk. Unbelievable. Amazing game.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users