#1 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

Full article

The Devils were bracing to experience the wrath of new head coach Pete DeBoer like never before. They had just blown a 3-0 lead after the first period and lost, 4-3, to the Florida Panthers, the team that had fired DeBoer following last season.

After a dejected Devils team boarded the bus to head to the airport, DeBoer addressed them. It was his 19th game as their coach.

“He easily could’ve snapped, easily,” captain Zach Parise recalled recently. “We were all upset for losing the game. We all wanted to win the game for Pete. You get fired by a team or you get traded, you want to beat that team.

“So he gets up on the bus and says, ‘Hey, that happens to every single team in the NHL once or twice a year. It happened to us tonight. Let’s not let it happen again.’ And that was it. He never talked about it again.

“We were all like, ‘This guy gets it. He understands.’ We all knew we stunk that night and let’s move on.”

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#2 JRZYRIPPER

JRZYRIPPER

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

Zach is either very careful with his words or he is genuinely happy being here. I hope he sees all if this and decides he wants to stay beyond this season. I can't help but notice how much fun it looks like the guys are having. If what is said about debo is true, if seems like coaches like him are few and far between.

Edited by JRZYRIPPER, 23 February 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#3 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

DeBoer is doing a great job.
Parise is smart and the team is on a roll... it would be hard pressed to get a negative comment from him.
Lou said he is staying put (not traded); so hopefully we can work something out post July 1 (Parise would be a fool not to test the market at this point)

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#4 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,726 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

DeBoer has probably almost earned a 2nd year at this point.

Nah, seriously, he seems like a really good coach, he might even outlast Lou at this rate.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Great article, thanks for posting... It is hard not to love what Pete has done with the team thus far. It's been fun so far.

#6 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

I have to admit that in the beginning of the season I was often frustrated by how easy going he was when the team put out horrendous efforts, let up odd-man rush after odd-man rush, and were generally making mistakes left and right. But I guess this is because we're so used to having hard-nosed coaches here for the past few years.

I think DeBoer brings a really refreshing change of atmosphere to the locker room where he is confident and determined in what he wants on the ice, and gives the players time to adjust to it instead of reaming them out and hammering them into submission. It's an important psychological change and it certainly seems like the players appreciate it (ie Parise saying they would run through a wall for him). I don't know how well it will fare when / if the teams hits some serious adversity down the road, but for now the whole team looks like a unit.

Edited by Amberite, 23 February 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#7 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

So far DeBo is looking like Lou's best hire since Burns, and this is coming from a guy who practically worships at the sacred altar of Lemaire (hired 2x since then).
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#8 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

DeBoer might actually be our coach for a few seasons, imagine that.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#9 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Wait until we have a 3 game losing streak, everyone will be calling for stationary bikes and DeBoers head

#10 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Petey's been pushing the right buttons, but having Zach and Patty certainly helps. Zub and Clarksons play has certainly made a difference and deboer must have had some effect on their buy-in.

He hasn't juggled lines as much as tweeked them, and has drilled home his break-out strategy with our ever changing defensive pairings. He appears to be a very good Xs & O's coach, other than claude julien, he's matched up well against any coach he's faced

put the caveat "barring any monumental collapse...." in, and he's definately sticking around a few years

#11 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Funny, I wonder how many of you would be saying this in the week before the all-star game when we lost three straight games. That was only about a month ago.

#12 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Funny, I wonder how many of you would be saying this in the week before the all-star game when we lost three straight games. That was only about a month ago.

Well I think no one was singing his praises back then but at the same time there hadn't been a collective calling for his head type scenario.. I think it was pretty clear that the players were still adapting to the system and the subpar goaltending was not helping. Since then Marty has elevated his game and the team is playing better in front of him

#13 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

DeBoer seems like a good "mentor-type" coach. Let's see if his style and experience hold up in the playoffs. I like his "soave" style of being calm...

I am absolutely, however, flaberghasted when I hear the newspapers making a huge deal of the Devils "being in a playoff" spot. They make it sound like they're the old Atlanta Thrashers who made the playoffs once in a decade...

My Devils are "EXPECTED" to be competing year after year, no matter how strange last year was. I just hope the bar was not lowered on this franchise.

With players like Kovy, Parise, Elias, and now Larsson...playoffs should be an expectation year-in, year-out, or quite honestly, perrenial Stanley Cup runs should be the norm...

#14 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

DeBoer seems like a good "mentor-type" coach. Let's see if his style and experience hold up in the playoffs. I like his "soave" style of being calm...

I am absolutely, however, flaberghasted when I hear the newspapers making a huge deal of the Devils "being in a playoff" spot. They make it sound like they're the old Atlanta Thrashers who made the playoffs once in a decade...

My Devils are "EXPECTED" to be competing year after year, no matter how strange last year was. I just hope the bar was not lowered on this franchise.

With players like Kovy, Parise, Elias, and now Larsson...playoffs should be an expectation year-in, year-out, or quite honestly, perrenial Stanley Cup runs should be the norm...

It wasn't even a month ago that the Devils were heading into the break on a four game losing streak, tied for the last playoff spot. It certainly wasn't anywhere close to given that this team was going to the playoffs until recently.

I do think PDB is good for this team, which is full of self motivated vets and young guys looking to make an impression.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#15 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Well I think no one was singing his praises back then but at the same time there hadn't been a collective calling for his head type scenario.. I think it was pretty clear that the players were still adapting to the system and the subpar goaltending was not helping. Since then Marty has elevated his game and the team is playing better in front of him

True there hasn't been an all-out calling for his head type of thing but it got pretty close back in December if I remember right.

I honestly did not like the hiring at the time and earlier on this season, but he is growing on me.

However I find the timing of this article to be pretty coincidental to their 9-1-1 run. I guess it is much easier to write this than when they were going on a slide earlier this year. It would be much more impressive if it was saying along the lines of "despite adversity, Devils rally behind their coach."

#16 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,766 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

I always liked DeBoer. My big problem at the beginning of the season was Oates and the powerplay. That has improved dramatically since recognizing that Larsson wasn't ready for sustained powerplay duty and when the strategy expanded from only attempting to set up a Kovy bombs away from the point. As much as the rest of his game sucks, Foster has been a help there also.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#17 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Screw Zach - Lock Pete up long term!!! :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid:

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#18 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

They were 26-19-3 at the break even with that 0-2-1 "slump", and exceeding expectations in the eyes of many, so I would hope most intelligent Devils fans wouldn't have based DeBoer's job performance on the results of those three games. But the entitled never take any setbacks well.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#19 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

They were 26-19-3 at the break even with that 0-2-1 "slump", and exceeding expectations in the eyes of many, so I would hope most intelligent Devils fans wouldn't have based DeBoer's job performance on the results of those three games. But the entitled never take any setbacks well.

And to me they are far and away exceeding expectations. I honestly thought in the offseason that they would spend all Feb-April fighting for the 8th seed. I just remember a few going nuts during that 3 game slide as well as an extended one back in early December or November.

#20 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,113 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

And to me they are far and away exceeding expectations. I honestly thought in the offseason that they would spend all Feb-April fighting for the 8th seed. I just remember a few going nuts during that 3 game slide as well as an extended one back in early December or November.

There are always a few who go nuts here during any losing streak, no matter how small it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users