287 replies to this topic

#201 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Well, I'm starting to get nervous because we are now on a 3 game losing streak. I hope we don't pull a Boston Red Sox here...

#202 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

it was an exciting game, and we played them close. but i have to say, if i saw one more player pass up on taking a shot and make a bad pass i was gonna throw up

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#203 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

We're a total Jeckyll and Hyde team. One game to the next you never know. One minute our top scorers are shooting, the next game it's like they lost all their confidence.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#204 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

This isn't even one of those games where we look back and say "well Lundqvist stole this game". He may have gotten the shutout but he barely had to do anything.

..hang on a second.. what we witnessed here tonight, was something that had only happened 4 other times in league history. *Courtesy WFAN; "This is only the 5th time in NHL history a starting goalie has made 39 saves or less, in the span of 3 games!" 13 saves tonight, 12 against Tampa, 14 against Vancouver.

I know our offense is going to take a beating from the fans.. but let's be real! This is the 3rd game in a row we're holding other teams to 15 shots! The defense is blocking practically every shot that comes Marty's way. (the likes of 1999) What does OUR goalie gotta do to steal a game?! 10 shots? 8 shots? :noclue:

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#205 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,327 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

I'm not going to think about this loss too much, the Devils just didn't generate anything against a great team. I hate to say this but that Rangers D and Lundqvist could really take them somewhere this year.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#206 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

I'm gonna tone down my normal rant here and say I'm not even mad.
I'm so used to us losing to the team and goalie over the past 6 years that its all been said and done.
We tried adding someone like Kovalchuck to the line up and we still can't score on him and we won't for years to come.
It's very clear this team is still missing that certain something. The Devils aren't getting creamed in these losses but it's very easy to tell that they're lucky to be where they are right now.
With that said, I had bad feelings about all 3 prior games. They are not losing to Boston. Mark my words. Not. Losing to Boston.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#207 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

Just absolute frustration.

#208 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

had to listen to this one on the radio , dont know if that was worse than watching.

18 blocked shots, maybe its time to head hunt them from the point :burn: overall it sounded like a fairly even contest

#209 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

had to listen to this one on the radio , dont know if that was worse than watching.

18 blocked shots, maybe its time to head hunt them from the point :burn: overall it sounded like a fairly even contest

Not really...Rangers really did a good job stuffing them and taking passes away, as well as blocking shots (as the 18 blocked shots will attest). What kind of sucked was, despite the close score, the Rangers clearly had a blueprint and were able to execute it very well...the Devils seemed powerless to do anything about it. That 1-0 lead felt like 3-0 or 4-0 for most of the game...you got the impression the Rangers knew the Devils were not going to tie that game up. And then there's the whole Lundqvist factor...it seemed like there were at least 5 instances where a Devil had a shot opportunity, thought to himself "this won't be good enough to beat Henrik", then tried to make an ill-advised extra pass. It was a very tough watch.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 28 February 2012 - 07:51 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#210 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

A couple observations:

- For all the strides he's made this year, Clarkson is still a moron. Except now he's a moron who's 2nd on the team in goal-scoring. We need him on the ice, not in the box. Cool off, doofus.
- Parise was invisible. Kovalchuk was creating something every time he touched the puck and Henrique had a couple prime chances. But Parise? Totally invisible.
- The play that personified the game for me was Elias all alone on the doorstep making a no-look pass to no one. Too fancy. In a game where shots are hard to come by, you take the damn shot.

Frustrating game. But, in the end, it came down to them getting a good bounce and us getting no bounces (or calls). It's a three-game losing streak, but only one of those losses was a clearly inferior effort. Pick up, dust off, and get to it on Thursday.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#211 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

...it seemed like there were at least 5 instances where a Devil had a shot opportunity, thought to himself "this won't be good enough to beat Henrik", then tried to make an ill-advised extra pass.

Exactly what I thought as well. The one that stands out was when elias stripped the D of the puck was out all alone in front....and passed it.

There was a lot of scenarios where i saw the passes where like 2 feet off the mark, as if they were trying to hurry the pass instead of taking a extra half second to make it accurate.

Edited by lucifer91, 28 February 2012 - 08:13 AM.

Posted Image

#212 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Worst passing game since pre-season. Two games in a row I hadn't noticed Patty out there. Peter forgot to tell Clarkie that he's the teams Ranger killer (scoring wise). Kovy went back to his fumbling the last couple of games. All in all, except for Marty getting caught leaning the wrong way, we had a tie. I'm jsut concerned about the lousy passing. That's 2 games in a row now. You can make up for it by shooting and jamming the net. They did neither.

#213 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

We're a total Jeckyll and Hyde team. One game to the next you never know. One minute our top scorers are shooting, the next game it's like they lost all their confidence.

very true..... which makes our fan base bipolar too! LOL
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#214 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

couldn't watch it, and don't think I will...

but I read that the 2nd period got feisty? Did we really deserve a PP or two and got shafted? Nevertheless, we should be winning games without crying for a PP.. I hope we at least stood our ground in the physicality of the game.
Put food on my family

#215 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

game dented my record but i'll give it to the rags, great defense. i think we can finally defeat the bruins who are not that great lately to get some confidence going.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#216 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

..hang on a second.. what we witnessed here tonight, was something that had only happened 4 other times in league history. *Courtesy WFAN; "This is only the 5th time in NHL history a starting goalie has made 39 saves or less, in the span of 3 games!" 13 saves tonight, 12 against Tampa, 14 against Vancouver.

I know our offense is going to take a beating from the fans.. but let's be real! This is the 3rd game in a row we're holding other teams to 15 shots! The defense is blocking practically every shot that comes Marty's way. (the likes of 1999) What does OUR goalie gotta do to steal a game?! 10 shots? 8 shots? :noclue:

He let in one goal and they got shutout... Was he supposed to win zero to negative one?
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#217 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'm thinking they'll beat themselves up over this one and move on and get back to winning. Bottom line here is that they flat out beat themselves with dopey passes they shouldn't have made, and a few spectacular passes to the slot which just happened to be empty. You can't do that agaist a team above you.

So, I don't think the Rags beat us so much as we gave them a big hand here. Same thing in the W/L column, but I think we bounce back - there's plenty of talent in the room.

Edited by jim777, 28 February 2012 - 09:54 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#218 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

A couple observations:

- For all the strides he's made this year, Clarkson is still a moron. Except now he's a moron who's 2nd on the team in goal-scoring.

LOL, as I said I listened to it on the radio and at the first intermission they interviewed Marty with silly questions. they asked him who was the best dressed and he said "certainly not clarkson" then they asked him who was the smartest on the ice, and he said"again, certainly not clarksy" LMAO

BTW AGAIN, Larsson said he couldnt feel his legs after the PK Subban hit into the boards!!!! and feared the worst!!! how scary is THAT! come to think of it, he didnt move for like 1-2 mins on the ice

#219 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

This is Parises worst season in the NHL (discounting his rookie campaign). His timing is off, his shot is off, his instincts around the puck are off. He's usually the king of garbage goals, but this year he's taken up recycling.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#220 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

He let in one goal and they got shutout... Was he supposed to win zero to negative one?

He probably meant equal Lundqvist's performance and shut out the Rangers in regulation, and at least get the game to OT. That's a lot to ask.

He's also making too much of the low shot totals, as they don't indicate quality of shots. Low shot totals aren't always indicative of lack of scoring chances.

I can't really make much of a case for the Devils deserving to win that one...Rangers did outplay them.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users