287 replies to this topic

#241 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

we certainly had our scoring chances and opportunities.. against lundquist thats almost all we can ask for. of course a lot of you are blaming the refs AGAIN but they new that in a game like this there would be a lot of intensity and they would let them play. Clarkson really was all over the place. We better bring it tomorrow against Boston or we are looking at some trouble in the standings for sure

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#242 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

MSG should add pools during the renovations since they have a fantastic diving team already playing there

Wow. ^ is fvcking epic. lol
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#243 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Rangers won this game like vintage Devils teams did in the past. Defense and goaltending.

The Rangers are certainly amongst the top SC contenders. But as with those Devils teams they're just as likely to flame-out in the 1st or 2nd round when their offense totally dries up and their anemic power play is completely exposed.

Eh. They scored 1 goal minus the EN, against the Devils. Sorry..the Devils aren't that sweet. Yea the team put together a nice run but we all knew it wasn't going to continue. I don't think a team that scores 1 goal against teams like the Devils and Sabers is going to win the SC sorry.

Have you seen the teams in the West? The Rangers aren't beating Pittsburg either.
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#244 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

maybe some losses could do this team some good. even when winning kovy wasnt alive. moving forward....

the more i see him play the more i think is zach parise worth 7M a year? i want him here long term but he isn't some power forward or sniper. he works hard but..

:evil: lets go devils thursday and friday

Yea, probably not. He can put in 110% every night and he wouldn't be worth that much. I love the guy and want him to say but he's no Malkin.

#245 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

If it's any small consolation we're 2-2 against the Rags this season. We still have a shot at winning the season series.

I'd feel better about that if they were 2-2 and Lundqvist had started all 4 games. But they're 1-2 with 2 GF in the three games Lundqvist started (he's allowed 10 goals in his last 9 starts against them). In other words, as far as Henrik is concerned, same old same old. It's actually amazing the Devils have gone 3-6 in those games (two of the wins came 1-0).
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#246 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Yea, probably not. He can put in 110% every night and he wouldn't be worth that much. I love the guy and want him to say but he's no Malkin.

Honestly if parise wants to test the market i wonder if he is expecting huge offers. the contract he gets whether its here or some where else will be interesting.

#247 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,503 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'd feel better about that if they were 2-2 and Lundqvist had started all 4 games. But they're 1-2 with 2 GF in the three games Lundqvist started (he's allowed 10 goals in his last 9 starts against them). In other words, as far as Henrik is concerned, same old same old. It's actually amazing the Devils have gone 3-6 in those games (two of the wins came 1-0).

I'm sure this is the expected course of things and not just an enormous string of luck.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#248 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm sure this is the expected course of things and not just an enormous string of luck.

Of course you never really expect that low an output against any given goaltender, but his career numbers against the Devils are pretty impressive, to say the least. And whatever individual fans want to attribute his success to, be it luck, pad size, him getting inside the Devils' heads, whatever, the fact is that, save for a few starts or so, the Devils have a hard time putting pucks past this guy...and it seems to be getting worse.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#249 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Of course you never really expect that low an output against any given goaltender, but his career numbers against the Devils are pretty impressive, to say the least. And whatever individual fans want to attribute his success to, be it luck, pad size, him getting inside the Devils' heads, whatever, the fact is that, save for a few starts or so, the Devils have a hard time putting pucks past this guy...and it seems to be getting worse.

I think the Rags look at the powerpoint of Devils/Rangers history whenever they play us and get up for the game. Beating the Devils seems more important for the than beating the Rags is to the Devils players.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#250 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Dominating play is not sitting back and defending a lead for most of the game. They sure as heck didnt dictate the play either. We outchanced them, and probably had more offensive zone time. 1-0 did feel a lot worse but thats because the game was so tight and the Rags played solid D...but we had chances to tie it. Thats hardly being dominated or outplayed.

The Rangers did dominate play in that the game started with the Devils controlling the tempo, but they got gassed quickly. The Rangers held steady and chipped away slowly. It was almost like a rope a dope.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#251 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Whatever you wanna blame it on indeed. Henrik Lundquist is currently the best goalie in the world, and it's not just against the Devils.

epic stats

Edited by njdevsftw, 28 February 2012 - 07:22 PM.

Posted Image

#252 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Lets face it he is good. Give credit when credit is due.

#253 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Honestly if parise wants to test the market i wonder if he is expecting huge offers. the contract he gets whether its here or some where else will be interesting.

Look at Callahan, similar player, captain of his team, he's got what a three year contract at around 4.5 mil a year. Now I know Zach will get more than that, but is he really worth nearly twice that ??? I think he should be happy to get 6 ish with a good team....but....???

#254 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Even if we have it from reliable sources he's schtuping the bartender at Hoolihan's? :unsure:

I'm here for the party

#255 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Even if we have it from reliable sources he's schtuping the bartender at Hoolihan's? :unsure:

Does the bartender look like Justin Bieber?

Posted Image

"I mean I really like you, Justin. Maybe later we'll go back to my place and I'll show you my "goalie equipment"

Edited by CarpathianForest, 28 February 2012 - 11:40 PM.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#256 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Where was I not giving him credit? He's been terrific this season.

The next thing he needs to do is show that he can raise his game in the playoffs. Brodeur has done that for his career (.913 reg season save%, .919 playoff save%). Lundqvist hasn't (.921 reg season save%, .909 playoff save%). Lundqvist's playoff save% is skewed a bit by '05-'06, where he clearly wasn't healthy, but even if we take that season out, his career playoff% is only .915...not terrible, but not great. And Marty's finished with eight different postseasons with save%s of .927 or better. Lundqvist has yet to reach that in any of his postseasons.

#30 FOREVER!

#257 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

A lot is being made of two goals on Lundqvist in three games, and justifiably so. Yet it's getting lost that the Rangers have only scored twice on Marty in the last two games. If we're giving credit where it's due, our guy should have some going his way as well. Not just Pads McGee.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#258 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

A lot is being made of two goals on Lundqvist in three games, and justifiably so. Yet it's getting lost that the Rangers have only scored twice on Marty in the last two games. If we're giving credit where it's due, our guy should have some going his way as well. Not just Pads McGee.

Good point, and I think it's only one goal Marty was in cage for. The shut out at the garden and Callahan's lone goal this time around.

#259 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Good point, and I think it's only one goal Marty was in cage for. The shut out at the garden and Callahan's lone goal this time around.

:doh1:

You're right. One goal on Marty in two games, two goals on Poofpads in three games.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#260 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

It's more disconcerting with Lundqvist only because it's been a fairly long trend now. That 10 goals in 9 GP is unnerving...Tri wants to attribute some of that to luck, and I'm not saying he's wrong, but at the same time, I think it's getting to the point where the Devils could play a terrific first period against him, not score a goal, and then they start getting that "Here we go again" feeling.

And it is great (and overlooked) that Marty has only given up one goal in his last two against the Rangers, no question, but I don't know if it's fair to ask Marty to keep shutting the Rangers down. It's really on the Devils' shooters to start finding ways to beat Lundqvist.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users