Photo

2 Toronto Businessmen Intersted in Partially Owning the Devils?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

I didn't want this to get lost in the trade thread and I didn't see any other ownership thread. Daren Millard claimed to have some news about the Devils that was "higher on the food chain". Today he had this to say.

https://twitter.com/#!/darenmillard/status/174259225944522752

"Q: @darenmillard what about the NJD news about something higher than a trade?

A: Ownership. 2 guys from toronto reportedly close to picking up 50% of the team."

Speculate.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#2 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Eh. If it allows us to keep Zach and we dont have to worry about this crap anymore, so be it.

#3 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

I hope they were not interested in bringing the devils to hamilton

#4 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

No me gusta. At all. For obvious reasons

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#5 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Would these two guys owning 50% of the team run the risk of it being moved or does this really not have much pull?

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#6 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Would these two guys owning 50% of the team run the risk of it being moved or does this really not have much pull?

If something happens and they were able to buy more stake and get a majority ownership, I would guess maybe. I really dont know.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Bad news.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#8 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

If something happens and they were able to buy more stake and get a majority ownership, I would guess maybe. I really dont know.

Do the Devils have a contract or something where they have to play at the Prudential Center for a number of a years?

I am not sure if this exists for them but I remember reading a sports team not being able to move or play at another arena due to their contract with the stadium

#9 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

These guys are probably looking at buying the 48% of the team that Chambers wants to get rid of. I don't see this as a negative thing, and I'm not sure why someone would just to negative on it.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#10 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,158 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

I hope they were not interested in bringing the devils to hamilton

Not aiming this at you but I feel like I say this at least once every few weeks but Hamilton is never, ever, going to get an NHL team. That city is a depressing sh!t hole that barely deserves the AHL team it has.

#11 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Toronto definitely has room for another NHL team. Probably good for the franchise, but maybe not good long term if you want them to stay in NJ.
Posted Image

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Not aiming this at you but I feel like I say this at least once every few weeks but Hamilton is never, ever, going to get an NHL team. That city is a depressing sh!t hole that barely deserves the AHL team it has.

People were saying that about Winnipeg a few years ago.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#13 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,158 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

People were saying that about Winnipeg a few years ago.

I've been to both cities, Hamilton is way, way, way worse then Winnipeg and Winnipeg actually supported their AHL team and would sell out for the Moose games. Hamiltons attendance averages just a bit over a 1,000 more then the Albany Devils get. That city doesn't deserve sh!t.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 27 February 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#14 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Toronto definitely has room for another NHL team. Probably good for the franchise, but maybe not good long term if you want them to stay in NJ.

I doubt league is going to want to move a second team into Toronto. You don't add any new fans to the NHL. You just cannibalize people who are already Leafs fans into the new teams fans.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#15 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

I'm not sure why people don't like this. SOMEONE has to buy a piece of this team. The Devils are locked into a long term (30 years?) lease with Prudential Center, plus the NHL seriously discourages the movement of teams. Just because they are from Toronto doesn't mean they immediately want to move the team to that area.

I've been to both cities, Hamilton is way, way, way worse then Winnipeg.

I've never been to Winnipeg, but I can vouch that Hamilton is indeed as bad as you say.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#16 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

I doubt league is going to want to move a second team into Toronto. You don't add any new fans to the NHL. You just cannibalize people who are already Leafs fans into the new teams fans.

Hamilton is one of the places the league wants to put a team in. That area can definitely support two teams. Its not even a question. Its like NY and baseball.

And yes, concur with the rest, Hamilton is a hole.

Edited by ghdi, 27 February 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#17 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Look on the bright side. If the Toronto guys buy a stake and keep it in NJ we'll probably get some more fans in Toronto, which is good because it's been a long time since that city has had a hockey team.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#18 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

They aren't moving. 30-year lease, value in the arena, tv contract and the new owners would be taking over for Chambers in a partial manner, not majority control.

#19 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hamilton is one of the places the league wants to put a team in. That area can definitely support two teams. Its not even a question. Its like NY and baseball.

Did the league ever mention Hamilton? I remember Balsille or whatever his name is mentioning it and planning to build a arena there, but I don't remember the league mentioning anything outside of Winnipeg, Quebec, Kansas City or Seattle.

Look on the bright side. If the Toronto guys buy a stake and keep it in NJ we'll probably get some more fans in Toronto, which is good because it's been a long time since that city has had a hockey team.

:rofl:
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#20 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Did the league ever mention Hamilton? I remember Balsille or whatever his name is mentioning it and planning to build a arena there, but I don't remember the league mentioning anything outside of Winnipeg, Quebec, Kansas City or Seattle.

The big stumbling blocks to Hamilton being on the list are Toronto and Buffalo being opposed. Ive not heard any rumblings about them since Balsillie though. Bettman wanted a team in Winnipeg before any other Canadian city.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users