#1 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

This guy is awesome....willing to do anything to keep the puck out of the net
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#2 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

Give that man some goalie pads!

#3 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

He's so good. I feel very calm when he's out there.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#4 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

i recalled years ago when he was on Ottawa that it was reported he was a goalie when he was younger and that's why he's so inclined to block shots. It's actually not true, but it is always on his mind to block shots by any means necessary. Its part of the reason he's always nicked up. But he is very steady in his own end and makes the right play much more often than not.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#5 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

I've said this before but I really feel he us our best and most consistent D on the team. We can always count on him to give everything he has

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#6 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

Now here's a question:

If a player deliberately covers the puck, with his hand, in the crease, the opposing team is awarded a penalty shot.

What if a player covers the puck in the crease using other parts of his body? ie, laying on it as Volch did here

Edit: Nevermind, I just watched the video the whole way through. Not a PS unless the hand covers the puck

Edited by Devilsfan118, 28 February 2012 - 11:11 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#7 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Now here's a question:

If a player deliberately covers the puck, with his hand, in the crease, the opposing team is awarded a penalty shot.

What if a player covers the puck in the crease using other parts of his body? ie, laying on it as Volch did here

Edit: Nevermind, I just watched the video the whole way through. Not a PS unless the hand covers the puck

yep, legal, even if you squeeze it between your cheeks.
Put food on my family

#8 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

Yeah he seems to have his bursts of glory here and there. I wish it was a tad more consistent. Marty definitely owed him a beer or two for that save last night though. I love when he hits too.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#9 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

A-train has been a solid pickup. A good stay at home D that can lay people out every now and then. Pretty good positionally, but nothing flashy. I really like the way he plays and am happy to have him in our lineup.
Posted Image

#10 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

i think if your sitting next to a guy who takes a puck off the face or jumps in the crease to catch a puck in your ass cheeks to save a goal it makes you play harder
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#11 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

Yeah he seems to have his bursts of glory here and there. I wish it was a tad more consistent. Marty definitely owed him a beer or two for that save last night though. I love when he hits too.

i see it like this, Volchenkov provides solid D on a consistent basis and, on top of that, shows bursts of glory.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#12 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

i see it like this, Volchenkov provides solid D on a consistent basis and, on top of that, shows bursts of glory.

fair assessment.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#13 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Now if he'd just stop getting hurt so often... :whistling:

Part of the job, obviously, when blocks as many shots as he does. But still, I wish he wouldn't miss 20+ games a year

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#14 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

A-train looked off early in the season (skating wise) since he's come back from the last injury he just looks sharper and quicker. having a good feb. :cheers:

#15 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Yea. Too bad all they needed was one goal to win. A weak goal at that. But props to A-train. Probably my favorite d man on the team. Zidilicky (sp?) I think will be one of my favorites soon too. I have a good feeling about him. He wants to score.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#16 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

best possible outcome colin white.

a-train is the man, we could use 2 or 3 more guys like him,
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#17 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

yep, legal, even if you squeeze it between your cheeks.

Actually, what Volch did should have been a penalty shot (squeezing the legs to cover the puck), but the ref missed it. Kerry Fraser explained today on TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389080

I can only assume, that based on the delay by the referee in getting to the net, he did not see Volchenkov close his legs and cover the puck following the shot that would have appeared to go under the Devils defenceman's body.

Had the play been correctly observed in its entirety the 'something' you are wondering about should have been called a penalty shot.

#18 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Actually, what Volch did should have been a penalty shot (squeezing the legs to cover the puck), but the ref missed it. Kerry Fraser explained today on TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389080

Meh. Even if it had been awarded a penalty shot, the Rangers player probably would've just dumped the puck in and went off for a line change.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#19 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

I think the rule can be interpreted differently. 63.2 and 63.5 can be in conflict with each other as written.

"63.2 - Any player who drops to his knees to block a shot should not be penalized if the puck is shot under him or becomes lodged in his clothing or equipment but any use of the hands to make the puck unplayable should be penalized promptly."

Volch drops to block the shot, the puck ends up underneath him, and he does not use his hand to make the puck unplayable. So by 63.2 Volch is ok.

63.2 says only a hand may not be used once the puck is shot underneath the player and 63.5 says the player can never gather the puck under him. 63.2 seems to be the portion of the rules that should be used, since the puck was initially shot under Volch while attempting a shot block, so the key part of the play would be in not using his hand, not whether it was gathered beneath him or not.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#20 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

He takes a beating especially around the face. I think he is one of our best "D" today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users