2012 MLB Thread

devilsrule33

Well, I guess no matter what sport you choose, you can't get away from franchises in trouble and possible relocations. Here is an article about the Tampa Bay Rays struggle to get a real stadium (is there anything worse than what they play in now?!) that includes comments from ownership about MLB being disenchanted with the team and how they seem stuck in St. Pete.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/rays-major-league-baseball-no-longer-believes-in-the-tampa-bay-area/1272064

Tampa Bay Rays owner Stuart Sternberg, angling for a new stadium, said Thursday he wants to keep his team in the region, but "Major League Baseball at this point no longer believes in the Tampa Bay area.'' Five years of winning baseball, coupled with poor attendance, have taken a toll on his fellow owners, Sternberg said. Even with a healthy media market, the Rays still drain tens of millions of dollars a year from baseball's revenue-sharing pot.

"That gap is growing,'' Sternberg told the Hillsborough County Commission. "Put yourself in their place. They look at the success, we have an exciting team, and then they see where the gate is. They don't care whether it's Clearwater, St. Petersburg or Tampa. They just know this as Tampa Bay.''

Apprised of these comments, Foster took a conciliatory tack. He praised commissioners for restraint because they didn't discuss specific stadium locations. He also praised Sternberg for candor, saying the Rays' owner privately told him about baseball's disenchantment with the entire region — and not just St. Petersburg — two years ago.

In response to inquiries, Major League Baseball released a statement Thursday praising the Rays for success on the field and contributions to the community. Commissioner Bud Selig "is disappointed with the current situation in Tampa Bay,'' the statement said. "The status quo is simply not sustainable.'

Buster Olney openly speculated on twitter as Nashville as a potential suitor. He points out the huge geographic gap missing a MLB team in that part of the country. I'll add my thoughts to the speculation...They've hosted a minor league teams since 1978 and their seem to be a lot of people down there that love baseball and support the Braves since they're the closest MLB team. Plus this team would provide a major league professional sport during the NFL and NHL offseasons. Given a lot of the corporations in town, I think they could get some support from businesses.

• 1 month later...