46 replies to this topic

#41 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

The a$$hole's been a disgrace to hockey for years now. No respect for anyone, no honour. Just a stupid attention whore. I hope no team ever wants him again.

#42 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

The a$$hole's been a disgrace to hockey for years now. No respect for anyone, no honour. Just a stupid attention whore. I hope no team ever wants him again.

I think he'll get one last shot from someone, based on what he did for the Rangers a few years back...but if he's lucky enough to make someone's roster, I don't think he sticks for long.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#43 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

From everything I have seen and heard, hockey is one of most homophobic sport out there along with baseball. In locker rooms from high school, juniors, college and the pros, words like f*g, f*ggot and h*mo, are second nature. The environment would be fairly uncomfortable for someone who was gay growing up in it for his entire life. Add that to the fact that you'd have to be a trailblazer, I can't see it happening.

When Simmonds called Avery a f*ggot, how many times do you think Avery has heard that? How often do you think that goes on during a normal game? I'd say pretty often. I think players are programmed to call another player in altercation either, a fvcking bitch, fvcking p*ssy or fvcking f*aggot.

Those words, for better or worse, get used a lot everywhere, especially locker rooms. There's a difference between actual homophobia and language. I think hockey players are pretty tolerant. Especially because it's such a tough, physical sport. If you do your job, protect your teammates, take your beatings, nobody's gonna care who you're sleeping with.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#44 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

i think there are certain anxieties that come with being a pro athlete, and i don't think pro sports are ready for an openly gay player.

I don't know about that. Multiple athletes have publicly said it didn't matter. Charles Barkley, who is outspoken, but honest, said that most of the guys in the NBA knew who was gay, and didn't care as long as they did their jobs right. He argued that you needed the right athlete in your corner, and there were more important ways of figuring that out than sexual preference.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#45 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

Maybe that person is married too. That be unfair for your wife and children to be put through this.

Unfair assumption that he's got a beard family just because he's in the closet. Or that he's even in the closet because he hasn't told the world. It's entirely possible that there are players right now who are openly gay, but just haven't told the world. Even if not openly gay, there are a lot of single guys. One of them might be gay. Are there guys who are gay and have wives and kids? Yeah, but it's crazy to assume that THOSE guys are going to be the trailblazers.

And players might say all the right things and think it'll be okay, but having an openly gay teammate does change the dynamics in the locker room and in social settings if you want to believe it or not. Everyone wants to say and do the right things..but who knows.

I've played with gay teammates before. You stop caring real fast. The only intelligent thing I've heard about teammates is Lebron James saying he'd have a problem with a teammate in the closet, because in a good locker room, everybody is family, and trusts everybody else, and keeping a secret like that can disrupt that atmosphere.

Like Daniel said, there might be a couple of very religious/homophobic guys who have a problem, but a majority of athletes care if you can play and if you're honest with them.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#46 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

Wait, hockey is one of the most homophobic sports? Guys kiss each other on the lips sometimes, if they're both French Canadian, to celebrate. I don't see that happening in other sports.

Avery's problem with not being in the NHL is hockey related, nothing else, IMO. If people thought they'd win more with Avery then he'd be playing somewhere.

Patrick Burke said it best and what I was trying to mean when I was talking about homophobia in hockey.

We call it "casual homophobia." It's people (specifically athletes in this case) using homophobic slurs without intending them to be homophobic slurs (usually). It's the guy who says "That's so gay" when he means "That's stupid." It's the guy who says "Don't be a f*g" instead of "don't be an a$$hole."

It is that and knowing when a guy is straight..going "you're acting like a f*g", or "go suck a dick" or making hand gestures like you are sucking a dick (which NHL player did that). They aren't really scared or hate gay people, but it is an easy joke to make and it happens all the time.

These are also the same guys that take part in pranks and hazing that involve some pretty sexual activity. The guy who teabags as passed out player and takes a picture of it and so on. Athletes also love strutting around naked in locker rooms. No one is scared of stuff like that but the casual homophobia is rampant.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#47 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

From everything I have seen and heard, hockey is one of most homophobic sport out there along with baseball. In locker rooms from high school, juniors, college and the pros, words like f*g, f*ggot and h*mo, are second nature. The environment would be fairly uncomfortable for someone who was gay growing up in it for his entire life. Add that to the fact that you'd have to be a trailblazer, I can't see it happening.

When Simmonds called Avery a f*ggot, how many times do you think Avery has heard that? How often do you think that goes on during a normal game? I'd say pretty often. I think players are programmed to call another player in altercation either, a fvcking bitch, fvcking p*ssy or fvcking f*aggot.

According to a players poll athletes in the NHL tend to be the most accepting of the four major sports. I wonder if a lot of that is because Canadians tend to be more accepting of gays than Americans or that professional athletes in the NHL just care much less compared to lower levels.

http://sportsillustr...2/28/poll.0228/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users