89 replies to this topic

#21 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Worst a$$hole type reply ever? no. Close? yes.

Come at me bra.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

It does? While his numbers the past few months have been very good, his overall season #'s are not close to what they used to be. However at 39 they are what they are.

I still think the trap helped him a bit back in the 90's. When you are facing less than 20 shots most nights it def helps.

That "less than 20 shots" thing gets way overblown. Just for the hell of it, I looked up one random season (2000-01), just to see how many times Brodeur did indeed face less than 20 shots. The total was 17 times. Hardly "most nights".
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

That "less than 20 shots" thing gets way overblown. Just for the hell of it, I looked up one random season (2000-01), just to see how many times Brodeur did indeed face less than 20 shots. The total was 17 times. Hardly "most nights".

lol that is a very convenient year to pick since we both know they were a different team from 99-2000 and 2000-01 season. They didn't play the trap much under Ftorek and lead the league in scoring one of those years.

I was talking the 90's. 95-96 season to 98-99 to be exact. Just looking at his shots against total in 2000-01 season to let's say 97-98 (where he had a less than 2.00 GAA) it was 1762 to 1569.

#24 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

If this year isn't enough to prove that Brodeur isn't a product of the trap, check out 07-08 or 09-10. People just need to stop already and accept that he is a great goalie.

As for Lundqvist, tell me when he's done 11 straight seasons of 35 plus wins without car doors on his legs and shootouts.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#25 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

The Devils, throughout the years, are notorious for under counting shots at CAA/Pru. Brodeur's numbers (Save % and Total Saves) might actually be significantly better than reported.

http://www.puckprosp...p?articleid=351

#26 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

lol that is a very convenient year to pick since we both know they were a different team from 99-2000 and 2000-01 season. They didn't play the trap much under Ftorek and lead the league in scoring one of those years.

I was talking the 90's. 95-96 season to 98-99 to be exact. Just looking at his shots against total in 2000-01 season to let's say 97-98 (where he had a less than 2.00 GAA) it was 1762 to 1569.

In 97-98 he averaged 24.4 shots against per game. In 99-2000 he faces 25 a game. The next season it was 24.5. Those all seem about average.

I should add, this year i also 24.4 so far.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 09 March 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#27 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

If this year isn't enough to prove that Brodeur isn't a product of the trap, check out 07-08 or 09-10. People just need to stop already and accept that he is a great goalie.

As for Lundqvist, tell me when he's done 11 straight seasons of 35 plus wins without car doors on his legs and shootouts.

Brodeur is def a great goalie no question about it.

In a few decades from now I really do believe people looking back in hockey history (outside of Rangerland) will state that overall Brodeur is a better goalie and had a better career than the Queen.

We really are very lucky to have had Brodeur and as long as we did. I just feel he had a bit of help too.

#28 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

In 97-98 he averaged 24.4 shots against per game. In 99-2000 he faces 25 a game. The next season it was 24.5. Those all seem about average.

In 97-98 he had 1569 SA in 70 games for 22.4 shot against per game.

In 99-2000 he had 1797 SA in 72 games for 25 shots against per game.

In 2000-01 he had 1762 SA in 72 games for 24.5 shots against per game.

Almost 3 shots per game increase you are going to feel it.

#29 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, except the Queen's had the shootout to help pad his 30-win seasons.

And I know, I know that goes for Brodeur as well (to a much lesser extent obviously).

But I'd bet he wouldn't have touched 30-wins each of those 7 years without the shootouts.

Lundqvist wins per season:

05-06: 30
06-07: 37
07-08: 37
08-09: 38
09-10: 35
10-11: 36
11-12: 31 (so far)

Lundqvist non-shootout wins per season:

05-06: 26
06-07: 29
07-08: 31
08-09: 29
09-10: 32
10-11: 29
11-12: 28 (so far)
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#30 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

as much as i hate to say it:

Henrik Lundqvist 49GP 31wins .937SV% 1.84GAA

"Lundsanity"

Lundqvist is now the only goaltender in the history of hockey to win 30 games in each of his first seven NHL seasons.

He is a great keeper. He just needs to do it for 10 more years....

At the same point in their careers they are very similar (save for the silver Hardware!)

approx 450-460 GP
244 wins each
Lundqvist has 25 more losses, which may have been ties for Brodeur...
Brodeur has about 65 less goals against.

#31 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Lundqvist wins per season:

05-06: 30
06-07: 37
07-08: 37
08-09: 38
09-10: 35
10-11: 36
11-12: 31 (so far)

Lundqvist non-shootout wins per season:

05-06: 26
06-07: 29
07-08: 31
08-09: 29
09-10: 32
10-11: 29
11-12: 28 (so far)

Wow lol it just proves how much the shootout has helped the Queen's numbers.

Funny I bet when you point this out to Rags fans they will say that it helped Marty too. Nevermind the fact that 2/3 to 3/4 of his career was when ties still counted while Lundqvist has never had a tie ever.

#32 Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Okay again why do we have to compare marty to hank??? :argh:

Come on stop they are two different goalies. Just enjoy some great hockey between two great goalies. Thought i hope the queen has his knee rip apart. :whistling:

#33 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

My point was more the "most nights" thing simply not being accurate...I would take "most nights" to mean a majority of the time, meaning 70% or so. I've heard "experts" say things (with regards to Brodeur) like "Well, when you're only facing 13 shots a game"...it's the exaggeration of how "easy" Brodeur had it throughout his career that I don't like.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#34 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

as much as i hate to say it:

Henrik Lundqvist 49GP 31wins .937SV% 1.84GAA

"Lundsanity"

Lundqvist is now the only goaltender in the history of hockey to win 30 games in each of his first seven NHL seasons.

If Brodeur had played more his rookie season, and the lockout hadn't make 94-95 half a season, the same would probably have been true for him.

As it stands, there's only 4 years in his career where he didn't win 30 - Rookie year, 94-95, The Clemmensen year, and last season.

Also - if the majority of people on this forum don't want new posters, it would be a lot less of a dick move to just shut down new registrations than being complete jerks to the new people. You don't own the internet, get over yourselves.

#35 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

My point was more the "most nights" thing simply not being accurate...I would take "most nights" to mean a majority of the time, meaning 70% or so. I've heard "experts" say things (with regards to Brodeur) like "Well, when you're only facing 13 shots a game"...it's the exaggeration of how "easy" Brodeur had it throughout his career that I don't like.

True if they are saying 13 shots then it is a big exaggeration. But the point is he did face less shots then.

And is it true Marty got his 650th career win last night? I thought he got his 649th and needed 1 more.

Regardless, that is still pretty cool that he almost has 100 more than Roy (unless you don't count the shootout wins).

If Brodeur had played more his rookie season, and the lockout hadn't make 94-95 half a season, the same would probably have been true for him.

As it stands, there's only 4 years in his career where he didn't win 30 - Rookie year, 94-95, The Clemmensen year, and last season.

Also - if the majority of people on this forum don't want new posters, it would be a lot less of a dick move to just shut down new registrations than being complete jerks to the new people. You don't own the internet, get over yourselves.

+1.

I'd rather see a post/thread like this from a newbie than from a newbie who wants to act tough right away to somehow show how cool he is. We seem to get a bit of the latter lately.

#36 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

True if they are saying 13 shots then it is a big exaggeration. But the point is he did face less shots then.

And is it true Marty got his 650th career win last night? I thought he got his 649th and needed 1 more.

Regardless, that is still pretty cool that he almost has 100 more than Roy (unless you don't count the shootout wins).

He's at 649, 40 of which came by shootout. Lundqvist also has 40 career shootout wins. Marty is 40-20, Lundqvist is 40-27.

+1.

I'd rather see a post/thread like this from a newbie than from a newbie who wants to act tough right away to somehow show how cool he is. We seem to get a bit of the latter lately.

In fairness, it was only one guy jumping on him. Everyone else is discussing.

#30 FOREVER!

#37 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

He's at 649, 40 of which came by shootout. Lundqvist also has 40 career shootout wins. Marty is 40-20, Lundqvist is 40-27.

I thought it was at 649 too. There is a poll on the Devils Facebook page asking fans what their favorite stat was from last night and the leading one is Marty getting 650 wins.

#38 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I'm going to avoid the Marty vs. Hank debate because I think it's a useless argument, and my 100% completely biased opinion will always state that Marty is the greatest goaltender of all time. There are many factors that go beyond simple stats that make me believe this.

I just wanted to thank the OP for his post; I did not know these stats, and I stopped and even read them aloud to my friend who I was with. Even she, who is not that into hockey (don't worry I am converting her :) ) said, "holy sh!t."

Regardless of what you think of him now, or what direction we should head in... If you've been a fan of this team, whether you've been there since 82' or been there since the 2000's... I think we can all agree we've been pretty lucky.

#39 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

To add to the general Brodeur discussion, his stats since the All Star break have been outstanding.

10-5-1, 1 SO
.924 Sv%
1.92 GAA

And he looks great, too. I thought last night was one of his best-looking starts. He was very fluid in net. Marty was always a very fluid goalie when he was on his game, as opposed to the majority of goalies today who are very robotic and clunky in their movement. His confidence must be soaring right now.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#40 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

To add to the general Brodeur discussion, his stats since the All Star break have been outstanding.

10-5-1, 1 SO
.924 Sv%
1.92 GAA

And he looks great, too. I thought last night was one of his best-looking starts. He was very fluid in net. Marty was always a very fluid goalie when he was on his game, as opposed to the majority of goalies today who are very robotic and clunky in their movement. His confidence must be soaring right now.

Even without the stats you can see his confidence is much higher than it was earlier in the season. He is flopping around less on scrambles and the number of soft goals he gives up has dwindled significantly.

I just really hope he is not gassed by the time playoffs come by since this is a packed month and he is not exactly a spring chicken.

Edited by DevsMan84, 09 March 2012 - 05:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users