89 replies to this topic

#81 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

This. There's no active goaltender who's even close to a favorite to breaking the record. The guy who I always come back to is Marc Andre Fleury. Okay, so Fleury's got 221 wins and he turned 27 in November, and Brodeur had 242 wins through his 27 year old season. He's still got to win 430+ games over his next 13+ years to have a shot at breaking it. That means he has to average 33 wins a year until he's 40. That's really, really difficult. First, he's got to stay with a good team, and Pittsburgh figures to be really good for a while, but maybe Fleury wants more money and wants to go elsewhere. Then he has to stay healthy. Then he has to stay on top of his game.

Plus it's just unlikely Fleury plays 75 games a year every season either like Marty did for the most part. Most starting goalies these days get 60-65 maybe aside from a Cam Ward or Jonas Hiller, who play for teams that need them to play 70+ just to have a shot at the playoffs..

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 March 2012 - 11:53 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#82 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

Plus pretty much every goalie today plays the butterfly, and that style is hell on the knees and hips. I'd be amazed if any of today's elite young goalies are still playing at 40, let alone playing at the level Marty's playing at right now.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#83 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Plus pretty much every goalie today plays the butterfly, and that style is hell on the knees and hips. I'd be amazed if any of today's elite young goalies are still playing at 40, let alone playing at the level Marty's playing at right now.

This here is another great point. The style isn't made for longevity.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#84 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

I read something earlier this season about how the Queen would need to win 40+ games each season for the next 10 years in order to simply catch Marty. That's insane. I don't think we'll see the wins and/or shutout records broken in our lifetime.
Posted Image

#85 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

All those wins records are going to be destroyed by the shootout and goalies playing their whole careers in the new system (that's the way it is though... in the past you could bitch about the schedule getting longer and goalies getting more shots at wins; then it was OT and now it's SO. The league is always changing, so this thing is never consistent and it's bound to change in the future, too).

That's why the record I care about the most is the shutouts. The previous one stood for a lot of years and the addition of shootout doesn't really help goalies much in this regard (how many 1:0 SO games have you seen?), so Marty's record might as well become the new "unbreakable" stat that stands for God knows how long.

I agree on the Shutout-record. That one will stand until I'm in the grave...

I'd just like to pointout that the "Queen" has played his entire career with the Shootout & has yet to reach 40 wins in a season...:whistling:

Edited by BlueSkirt, 12 March 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#86 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

Would love to see Marty be able to stay as hot as he's been recently. 30 wins next year would be even more to tack on to the record.

#87 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

393 more shots and Marty will hit the 30,000 shots he has faced (est. 10-15 games). 643 minutes away from 70,000 minutes play (est. 10-15 games). The team has 13 more games to go. Both of them are still achievable this season.

As for his playoff record, he is one win away from 100th and 245 (8 games approximately) shots away from 5000 playoff shots he has dealt.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#88 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

DF, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the 100th playoff win & to MB getting his 24th playoff shutout ! Hopefully in the same game...

Edited by BlueSkirt, 13 March 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#89 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

is there a way to find brodeur's stats versus gretzky?

shots/saves

games/goals

random i know
Posted Image

#90 hrasvalg

hrasvalg

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Apparently Marty's brother wants him to end at 666 wins