341 replies to this topic

#201 socbrian

socbrian

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

I believe the Devils can also clinch even if they lose in OT or a shootout, as long as Washington loses in regulation.

Your correct

#202 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,038 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

Well, it was to me at that time. It wasn't based on mounds of empirical data, it was a strong hunch based on each teams' strengths and weaknesses, and a strong feeling of what would happen.

That, and the fact they owned us in the season series just like the Rangers did two years before. Granted, a lot of times it might not matter in the playoffs, but when one team dominates the other in 'that' many games in the regular season sometimes regular season does play in.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#203 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,503 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Oh boy, another great night for the Devils. A win, Boston gets a point, and Florida keeps slightly ahead of Washington by blowing a lead very late in the game and losing in OT. Perfect.

Team PTS GR
5. Flyers 98 5
6. Devils 94 4
7. Sens 88 5

Even if the Sens go 3-1 in their final 4 games before the final meeting of the season, the Devils only need 3 points in their next 3 games to clinch at least 6th place.

RACE FOR 3rd

2. Bruins 94 5
3. Pnthrs 90 5

Bruins have the tiebreaker here, so the Panthers have to get 5 more points with 5 games remaining to get 2nd.

Edited by Triumph, 29 March 2012 - 09:43 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#204 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Oh boy, another great night for the Devils. A win, Boston gets a point, and Florida keeps slightly ahead of Washington by blowing a lead very late in the game and losing in OT. Perfect.

Team PTS GR
5. Flyers 98 5
6. Devils 94 4
7. Sens 88 5

Even if the Sens go 3-1 in their final 4 games before the final meeting of the season, the Devils only need 3 points in their next 3 games to clinch at least 6th place.

RACE FOR 3rd

2. Bruins 94 5
3. Pnthrs 90 5

Bruins have the tiebreaker here, so the Panthers have to get 5 more points with 5 games remaining to get 2nd.

This includes the catch that Boston would also have to go 0-5?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#205 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,503 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

What I said wasn't exactly clear - the Panthers have to get 5 more points than the Bruins in the remaining games. So if the Bruins go 1-4-0 down the stretch, the Panthers still have to go at least 3-1-1 to get 2nd.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#206 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Bruins have 6 more ROW than the Panthers, so yes.
Posted Image

#207 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,966 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

You know what's crazy and maybe something that will put things in perspective. The Devils are on a collision course to play the Panthers in the first round of the playoffs.

The Devils and Panthers have met before in the playoffs...12 years ago in 2000 to be exact. It was a 4 game sweep and a rather uneventful series. The Devils moved on and went on to win a Stanley Cup that year and make it to the Finals the year after. A tough first round loss in 2002, but another Stanley Cup in 2003. Since that point, it has been a bit disappointing with 4 first round playoff exits and 2 in the 2nd round.

A lot has happened for the Devils since that 4-1 win over the Panthers on April 20th 2000. But for the Panthers....that was the last time they made the Playoffs. How about 10 straight seasons without sniffing the playoffs. How about the fact that since their Finals appearance in 1996, they have won a total of 1 single playoff game...

Alright, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#208 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'm sure the Devils would be more than happy to show them the door again in their first playoff birth in over 10 years

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#209 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

Washington is getting closer to the Panthers and it's kind of scary. I'm not sure who would be a better match because the Caps look great now but can really suck sometimes, playoffs especially.

#210 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

You know what's crazy and maybe something that will put things in perspective. The Devils are on a collision course to play the Panthers in the first round of the playoffs.

The Devils and Panthers have met before in the playoffs...12 years ago in 2000 to be exact. It was a 4 game sweep and a rather uneventful series. The Devils moved on and went on to win a Stanley Cup that year and make it to the Finals the year after. A tough first round loss in 2002, but another Stanley Cup in 2003. Since that point, it has been a bit disappointing with 4 first round playoff exits and 2 in the 2nd round.

A lot has happened for the Devils since that 4-1 win over the Panthers on April 20th 2000. But for the Panthers....that was the last time they made the Playoffs. How about 10 straight seasons without sniffing the playoffs. How about the fact that since their Finals appearance in 1996, they have won a total of 1 single playoff game...

I think the highlight of that series was Peter Worrell managing to score a goal. Still the worst skater I've ever seen.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#211 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,038 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Washington is getting closer to the Panthers and it's kind of scary. I'm not sure who would be a better match because the Caps look great now but can really suck sometimes, playoffs especially.

Yeah I wouldn't want the Caps in the first round, especially if Backstrom comes back. You'd have to take them over the other options, but I'd prefer the Panthers get a couple more wins and lock up the division. They haven't been doing very well in the supposed soft portion of their schedule though.

Florida's still four points up with a game in hand...but they have to play in Washington next Thursday.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#212 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

Re: Florida, I'm not sure how close they were to playoff berths since the lockout ended, but clearly they're one of those teams that doesn't help itself in the shootout. Because the Devils are so damned good at it, it's easy to forget how BAD other teams are in them.

Devils: 54-29, 116 GF, 85 GA (12-4 this season)
Florida: 30-54, 68 GF, 102 GA (6-10 this season)

Imagine being a Panthers fan...when they see they're going to the shootout they must think "oh nooooooooo..."

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 March 2012 - 06:24 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#213 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

Imagine being a Panthers fan...when they see they're going to the shootout they must think "oh nooooooooo..."

Oh, we know the feeling...it comes almost everytime we've headed into a playoff OT since the mid-Nineties !

#214 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Oh, we know the feeling...it comes almost everytime we've headed into a playoff OT since the mid-Nineties !

Worked out OK in Game 6 of the 2000 SCF...but yeah, good point, know what you mean...playoff OTs haven't been kind to the Devils...
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#215 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

It looks like the last game against the Sens could be meaningless.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#216 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

It looks like the last game against the Sens could be meaningless.

Most likely.

According to NHL.com, the tiebreakers actually favor Ottawa slightly if we end up tied and lose the last game of the season. But any loss from Ottawa all but eliminates them.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#217 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,978 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

Yeah I wouldn't want the Caps in the first round, especially if Backstrom comes back. You'd have to take them over the other options, but I'd prefer the Panthers get a couple more wins and lock up the division. They haven't been doing very well in the supposed soft portion of their schedule though.

Florida's still four points up with a game in hand...but they have to play in Washington next Thursday.

I BADLY want Washington in that 8 hole for two reasons: 1. We wouldn't play them- I want no part of the Caps in the first round. 2. The Rangers WOULD have to play them, and the Rangers have an awful time of things against the Caps in the playoffs. I think the Caps would actually knock them off. What Carolina has been to the Devils in the playoffs, the Caps have been to the Rangers. Mark my words, the Caps would win that series in 6.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#218 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

I BADLY want Washington in that 8 hole for two reasons: 1. We wouldn't play them- I want no part of the Caps in the first round. 2. The Rangers WOULD have to play them, and the Rangers have an awful time of things against the Caps in the playoffs. I think the Caps would actually knock them off. What Carolina has been to the Devils in the playoffs, the Caps have been to the Rangers. Mark my words, the Caps would win that series in 6.

I think it'd be different this season...Caps just never seem capable of pulling it together for very long...they had a four-game winning streak, but have since followed that with a 2-3-2 slide...and they blew a 2-0 lead last night before winning...I'd love to think they could get it done, but it doesn't seem to be their year.

#30 FOREVER!

#219 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

I think it'd be different this season...Caps just never seem capable of pulling it together for very long...they had a four-game winning streak, but have since followed that with a 2-3-2 slide...and they blew a 2-0 lead last night before winning...I'd love to think they could get it done, but it doesn't seem to be their year.

I don't think this Ranger team would lose to this year's Caps. I agree. But it's the nutty playoffs, so who knows?

#220 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,978 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

All they'd have to do is steal one of the first two in the World's Most Overrated Piss-Smelling Loser Factory, and it's on. Don't discount the pshychological factor of Washington getting into the Rangers' heads. If they pull off one of the first two, it's a long series. I'd be PRAYING for Buffalo if I was a Rangers fan.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users