341 replies to this topic

#261 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

I don't think the caps are a complete team. Sure, having backstrom back is nice, but I think the Devils' depth is far superior.

Let alone goaltending

Edited by Devilsfan118, 01 April 2012 - 11:44 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#262 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Philly just getting smoked early...but they are a good comeback team
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#263 Devilsrock01

Devilsrock01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Philly just getting smoked early...but they are a good comeback team

exactly as you said they just came back down 2-0

hopefully everything stays the same and we play the panthers

Edited by Devilsrock01, 01 April 2012 - 12:34 PM.

Posted Image

#264 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

NO ONE begged for either one of those teams. And it matters a lot. Don't sit here and tell me you'd rather play Boston in the first round than Florida.

Of course I'd rather play Florida. But I think this team can stack up with anyone in the league. There's a vibe I've been feeling talking to a lot of other fans that we don't stand a chance to win a round if we don't play Florida. Garbage.

It's been an up and down season, but there is no reason to believe this team can't make some noise. Regardless of who they play.

#265 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Of course I'd rather play Florida. But I think this team can stack up with anyone in the league. There's a vibe I've been feeling talking to a lot of other fans that we don't stand a chance to win a round if we don't play Florida. Garbage.

It's been an up and down season, but there is no reason to believe this team can't make some noise. Regardless of who they play.

I applaud your optimism, but this team isn't beating Pittsburgh or Boston in a 7-game series, and they're probably not beating the Rags or Phailures either. I would love to be wrong. LOVE to, and I would be the very first person to give you props and a high five if we did. But I'm trying to be realistic here.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#266 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Devils can beat anybody, If their games is on they can compete and win against any team in the NHL (i dont say thay are favorite)

Pittsburg and the devils are 3-3 this season
Same thing with the Rags 3-3

Philly i dont know and i dont really care....

I dont give a damn who we are facing we just need to beat anybody any way....

So believe in our team cause i do and we may not be favorite... burt the underdog game is what we are good at...

#267 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

I applaud your optimism, but this team isn't beating Pittsburgh or Boston in a 7-game series, and they're probably not beating the Rags or Phailures either. I would love to be wrong. LOVE to, and I would be the very first person to give you props and a high five if we did. But I'm trying to be realistic here.

Sure we could. Anything can happen. It's the playoffs. Nobody is miles ahead of anyone.

Maybe it's just the Giants fan coming out of me come playoff time, but everyone takes this team so damn lightly. We are FINALLY getting back our top line center, perhaps our most important player. The Devils without a doubt have the ability to sneak up on a team, especially since they are no longer feared like they once were.

#268 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

It's about setting them up for the best chance of success. Do I think we could beat any of the top team in a seven game series? Yes, of course we have a chance to. But our chances of making round 2 are significantly higher against the Panthers or even the Caps than Boston or anybody else we could play. So there's nothing wrong with hoping for a match-up with the Panthers. It's not to say that we will definitely beat them, or that we definitely couldn't beat somebody else. It's just putting ourselves in the best position to win a playoff series.

#269 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

We are FINALLY getting back our top line center, perhaps our most important player. The Devils without a doubt have the ability to sneak up on a team, especially since they are no longer feared like they once were.

You could say the EXACT same thing about the team we're likely playing in the first round at this point though (the Caps).
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#270 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

You could say the EXACT same thing about the team we're likely playing in the first round at this point though (the Caps).

Bingo.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#271 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

I think we can beat anyone in the league.. Except Boston and now the Penguins with Crosby back.. (How long is Letang out btw?) So.. Hoping someone else knocks them out I guess.. :)
Posted Image

#272 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Dude, what? The Devils are way more likely to play Florida than they are to play the Caps. 2 points up with a game in hand is a large lead when there are only 3 games remaining. And that's not even taking into account that Florida, as I write this, is ahead by 1 in their game today.

Edited by Triumph, 01 April 2012 - 04:33 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#273 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Damn, Ottawa just ain't going away...they're doing what they can to make Game 82 count. With the Devils up by four points, they're still incredibly likely to snag the 6, but Ottawa will have pulled off an impressive feat if they can actually make that game against the Devils mean something; of course, if the Devils can notch three out their next four points, it won't matter what Ottawa does.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#274 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Damn, Ottawa just ain't going away...they're doing what they can to make Game 82 count. With the Devils up by four points, they're still incredibly likely to snag the 6, but Ottawa will have pulled off an impressive feat if they can actually make that game against the Devils mean something; of course, if the Devils can notch three out their next four points, it won't matter what Ottawa does.

Ottawa winning is only good for NJ. They have done a good job keeping he pressure on and forcing NJ to make the last few games very meaningful. If they kept losing, it be very easy for this team to get very complacent regardless what the coaches kept hammering home. It be easy to take the foot of the pedal. Here, the standings are the message: win or you'll play a team that kicked your butt all year.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#275 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Ottawa winning is only good for NJ. They have done a good job keeping he pressure on and forcing NJ to make the last few games very meaningful. If they kept losing, it be very easy for this team to get very complacent regardless what the coaches kept hammering home. It be easy to take the foot of the pedal. Here, the standings are the message: win or you'll play a team that kicked your butt all year.

In fairness to the Devils, I think they've given top effort most games...they haven't always played well, and I think they definitely have matchup issues with some teams, but I don't think complacency is a problem with this group, I really don't.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#276 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

The races are still good because the teams trying to catch the others have the tie-breakers (Washington over Florida, Ottawa over NJ). Even with only a few games left, it's not unlikely for one team to go 1-2 and the other to go 3-0 and move up. Especially since Washington/Florida and Ottawa/NJ still have head to head matchups.

Strange situation tonight - If Boston wins in OT, the Rangers clinch 1st and Boston clinches 2nd.

And now Clemmensen gives up a goal, tied 1-1 in the third.

Edited by Z-Man, 01 April 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#277 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Well, Florida gets at least a point, which is more than I expected.
Posted Image

#278 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Dude, what? The Devils are way more likely to play Florida than they are to play the Caps. 2 points up with a game in hand is a large lead when there are only 3 games remaining. And that's not even taking into account that Florida, as I write this, is ahead by 1 in their game today.

Not such a huge lead when one of those three games is a four-pointer in Washington Thursday. Getting at least one out of today was BIG for them.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 01 April 2012 - 05:31 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#279 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Not such a huge lead when one of those three games is a four-pointer in Washington Thursday. Getting at least one out of today was BIG for them.

Except that these games aren't automatic four-point swingers anymore, with these charity points.

#30 FOREVER!

#280 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Except that these games aren't automatic four-point swingers anymore, with these charity points.

Right, and that's why Z-Man's point isn't that relevant either. The Devils, for instance, have played 79 games and have gotten points out of 51 of them. The Panthers have played 79 games and have gotten points out of 54. It's obviously possible to go 0-3, but it is not easy in a low scoring, low power play NHL.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users