341 replies to this topic

#41 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

On Sunday, Philly was not playing their #1 goalie and missing 2 "Dmen" that played yesterday. I think the difference was noticeable. That being said I think we can win any match up or lose any one too if we don't play hard.

Would playing their #1 goalie have made any difference? They got run. Yeah, they got some guys back in the lineup and I'm sure that helped, but the Devils also played lousy and that happens.

It's really moot because I can't see how the Flyers and Devils meet in the 1st round.

Edited by Triumph, 14 March 2012 - 10:33 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#42 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

looks like we might have boston on our ass sooner than later and that the Sens could endup 2nd

www.SterioDesign.com

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Ottawa gets a single point, unfortunately, but they were playing Montreal, so let's not be greedy.

Team PTS GR
5. PHI 87 13
6. NJD 85 12
7. OTT 82 11

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I think the Atlantic Division is way too strong andI think the Devils have a good chance to kick Boston out of the playoffs. Thomas and his team are not the same after the White House saga.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#45 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

nj.com: 5 questions facing the Devils...

1. Does it matter where they finish?

Without question. The Devils wouldn’t mind staying right where they are, in sixth place, and facing the Florida Panthers in the first round. They’d be out of the media glare with a chance to build up some steam. Dropping to eighth and facing the Rangers might be exciting, but it would be a roll of the dice, and facing the Bruins would likely mean an early playoff exit.

I have to agree here. If we want to make it deeper than the first round this year, we're better off playing Florida. They're only in because they're a division leader in a weak division. Sure, we could catch that disease where we take them for granted as an easy win, and they could come out and pound us, but if we take them as serious as any real opponent we should do fine. I like the notion of us being out of the media glare to some extent. Takes some of the pressure off of having to face perhaps the Phailures, Skirts or Bruins first round, but that could come back to haunt us if we lose to the Panthers. The speculation would be "how could you not beat a team from a weak division who only got in because they led their division?"

Best scenario, would rather see us take on Florida than anyone else first round. Want a winning series more than a nail-biting entertaining one.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#46 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

I think the Atlantic Division is way too strong andI think the Devils have a good chance to kick Boston out of the playoffs. Thomas and his team are not the same after the White House saga.

I wouldn't attribute his play to that (he played very well in the weeks following it) but they sure seem beatable now.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#47 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

Still looking pretty good.

#48 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

It's getting a little more interesting with Florida surging and the Bs slipping... either of those teams, plus the Sens and (less likely) the Caps (also on a 4-game win streak) could wind up in the 2 and 3 seeds.
Posted Image

#49 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

It's getting a little more interesting with Florida surging and the Bs slipping... either of those teams, plus the Sens and (less likely) the Caps (also on a 4-game win streak) could wind up in the 2 and 3 seeds.

If the Bruins keep slumping as badly as they have all the way into the playoffs and get supplanted by the Panthers... maybe they wouldn't be such a bad first round opponent after all? I have to admit I haven't really watched any of their games or highlights, so I don't know exactly what their problem is. Has Thomas been that bad? Or is the team hanging him out to dry?

#50 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

If the Bruins keep slumping as badly as they have all the way into the playoffs and get supplanted by the Panthers... maybe they wouldn't be such a bad first round opponent after all? I have to admit I haven't really watched any of their games or highlights, so I don't know exactly what their problem is. Has Thomas been that bad? Or is the team hanging him out to dry?

According to Anson Carter (NHL Network), he says the Bruins have just been careless with the puck in all three zones, for what that's worth.

He also made it sound like that the Devils and Avs were purposely playing for a shootout, because that's each team's strength. Right, I'm sure going in both teams said, "Hey, let's not try to score for 65 minutes, then take our chances in the shootout." Both teams created chances but both goalies made some nice saves. It wasn't like both teams were waiting for the other to give them a scoring chance.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#51 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

According to Anson Carter (NHL Network), he says the Bruins have just been careless with the puck in all three zones, for what that's worth.

He also made it sound like that the Devils and Avs were purposely playing for a shootout, because that's each team's strength. Right, I'm sure going in both teams said, "Hey, let's not try to score for 65 minutes, then take our chances in the shootout." Both teams created chances but both goalies made some nice saves. It wasn't like both teams were waiting for the other to give them a scoring chance.

LOL,exactly, that OT period was WIDE OPEN and exciting

#52 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,297 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

I wish the NHL would change the rule so that winning a division only guaranteed you a top 4 seed, not one of the top 3 (still getting home ice for at least one round). Not only would it make this entire discussion moot, it would also allow the Rangers and Penguins to finish 1-2 in the conference like they deserve (assuming they stay on pace).

Edited by squishyx, 16 March 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#53 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

I wish the NHL would change the rule so that winning a division only guaranteed you a top 4 seed, not one of the top 3 (still getting home ice for at least one round). Not only would it make this entire discussion moot, it would also allow the Rangers and Penguins to finish 1-2 in the conference like they deserve (assuming they stay on pace).

So this would become The Race for 5th Thread?
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#54 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

That's what the reallignment, in effect, seeks to do.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#55 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

I just did some calculations... Anything to not actually do work on a Friday.

I see the Devils finishing 8-3 giving them a 49-28-5 record. 103 points.
I see the Flyers finishing 7-5 giving them a 48-27-7 record. 103 points. They have the tiebreaker with ROW and we stay in 6th.

Flyers have a VERY tough schedule to finish out the season. I just want to stay away from Boston in the first round lol.

#56 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,297 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

So this would become The Race for 5th Thread?

Race for 2nd / 3rd when you actually think about it, there is a new "ideal" spot open. Right now if you don't win the a division the next "ideal" spot 6th.

That's what the reallignment, in effect, seeks to do.

Eh, I don't really think that's what realignment seeks to do, I think its just a side effect. The NHL could make this small change that would give every team a much bigger incentive to fight harder.

#57 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

I just did some calculations... Anything to not actually do work on a Friday.

I see the Devils finishing 8-3 giving them a 49-28-5 record. 103 points.
I see the Flyers finishing 7-5 giving them a 48-27-7 record. 103 points. They have the tiebreaker with ROW and we stay in 6th.

Flyers have a VERY tough schedule to finish out the season. I just want to stay away from Boston in the first round lol.

Wow, you're being optimistic! I would be mike tyson "totally ecstatic" if we finish with only 3 more loses

#58 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

Wow, you're being optimistic! I would be mike tyson "totally ecstatic" if we finish with only 3 more loses

I have us losing to the Pens twice... and losing to Detroit on the road. Other than that... I have us beating the Rangers and Chicago... then the reset of the season is Ottawa x2, Leafs, Bolts, Canes, Isles. Games the Devils SHOULD win.

Then again... the Devils do their best to defy common sense when it comes to beating teams lower in the standings.

The Flyers have a tough schedule. They play Pitt three times... and the Rangers who they can't beat.

#59 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

I wouldn't attribute his play to that (he played very well in the weeks following it) but they sure seem beatable now.

I agree. Boston's poor play over the last 30 or so games has had more to do with injuries up and down their lineup than Thomas failing to show up for a White House visit with the President.
Posted Image

#60 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

I have us losing to the Pens twice... and losing to Detroit on the road. Other than that... I have us beating the Rangers and Chicago... then the reset of the season is Ottawa x2, Leafs, Bolts, Canes, Isles. Games the Devils SHOULD win.

Then again... the Devils do their best to defy common sense when it comes to beating teams lower in the standings.

The Flyers have a tough schedule. They play Pitt three times... and the Rangers who they can't beat.

I think 7-4 is possible down the stretch here. No matter what, I'm happy with the way this team has played thus far this season. They have pretty much proved that the 1st half of last season was an abboration (sp?).
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users