341 replies to this topic

#81 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,784 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Tonight's game is enormous. A win in regulation puts New Jersey up 5 with 8 left to play, a difficult barrier to overcome. A loss brings Ottawa to within 1, and that means a dogfight for the rest of the year.

Team PTS GR
5. Flyers 92 10
6. Devils 87 9
7. Sens 84 9

I'm sure they'll find a way to make this more difficult than it needs to be, so I have a feeling that even if we win tonight, it won't be in regulation.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#82 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

if ottawa gets hot and catches us, there's also a chance that they supplant the bruins who have a small western trip coming up. and we could wind up facing them

Floridas schedule "appears" easier than the Caps

right now I'm not concerned about catching the flyers, more about getting our scoring line going or it wont matter who we play

#83 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

don't know why but i have a good feeling about tonight - let's hope i'm right

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#84 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Scroll down, looks like we currently have a godo chance of facing the Panthers...

http://www.sportsclu.../NewJersey.html

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#85 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

I'm sure they'll find a way to make this more difficult than it needs to be, so I have a feeling that even if we win tonight, it won't be in regulation.

Or they'll win in regulation, lose the next seven games, then beat Ottawa again.

if ottawa gets hot and catches us, there's also a chance that they supplant the bruins who have a small western trip coming up. and we could wind up facing them

Floridas schedule "appears" easier than the Caps

right now I'm not concerned about catching the flyers, more about getting our scoring line going or it wont matter who we play

Florida is three points up with two games in hand and a bunch of patsies coming up, they'll probably coast barring a collapse.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#86 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Cmon Philly beat Florida....I do not want to see Boston in 3rd...
Posted Image

#87 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,784 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Cmon Philly beat Florida....I do not want to see Boston in 3rd...

Looking at the standings, Boston has 42 wins and Florida now has 37 after beating the Phailures tonight. So Boston is still #2 on the tiebreaker.

#88 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Looking at the standings, Boston has 42 wins and Florida now has 37 after beating the Phailures tonight. So Boston is still #2 on the tiebreaker.

You are right that Boston has the tiebreaker against Florida but you are looking at the wrong stat. The first tiebreaker is ROW, so Boston has the advantage 34-31 over the Cats. Plus, as of tonight, they are 2 points up with the same amount of games played.

Random off-topic thought from looking at standings - if the Caps hold on to the 8th spot it would mean a rematch against the Rangers (assuming they don't lose the 1st spot to the Pens), and wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious if they upset them in the first round to eliminate them for the third time in a row? Oh I would love that...

Edited by iamtheprodigy, 20 March 2012 - 09:53 PM.

#89 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

right, but depending on shootout wins down the stretch florida could regain the tiebreaker. right now boston has 3 more shootout wins.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#90 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

So this might all be for nothing thanks to Boston lol...I hope they pick it up down the stretch, I need Thomas to help me win some fantasy playoffs :P
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#91 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

This 6th seed thing might be a disaster if it means facing Boston. Their speed has proven to be too much for the Devils. They are also a little too physical.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#92 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Just looked at Boston and Florida's schedules. No way Boston stays in 2nd. Me not happy. Was hoping for a favorable matchup this year.
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#93 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Florida stinks, they're not likely to keep winning at this rate. Strength of schedule is not very important - Florida still has to get 3 more points than Boston in 10 games. If Boston goes 5-5-0, Florida has to go 6-3-1 or better. That's not easy.

Edited by Triumph, 20 March 2012 - 10:14 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#94 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Florida stinks, they're not likely to keep winning at this rate. Strength of schedule is not very important.

Your lips to God's ears! GO B's
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#95 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

At least, the devils and Panthers are still playoff match-up, so we can worry about that later.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#96 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

I wouldn't be quick to count out the Panthers in a matchup. They happen to be one of those teams(ala the Islanders) that tend to put up a good fight against us. I honestly think we'd have a good shot at any other club with the exception of Boston.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#97 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,784 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Bah, good point on the ROW wins guys. Forgot about that.

#98 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Ironically the best thing we got going for us is Boston still has to push (for a while at least) to lock up the division.

#99 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Florida stinks, they're not likely to keep winning at this rate. Strength of schedule is not very important - Florida still has to get 3 more points than Boston in 10 games. If Boston goes 5-5-0, Florida has to go 6-3-1 or better. That's not easy.

I just saw the two schedules somewhere else. I wouldn't say Florida is the favorite to be the 2 seed but they have a damn good chance at it. They have cupcakes (and Detriot) and Boston has to go west.

Edited by maxpower, 20 March 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#100 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

I mean, here's their next six:

Carolina
Edmonton
Islanders
Montreal
Minnesota
Columbus

Jesus. :lol: It's like the murders row of suck, Carolina is probably the toughest team on the bill and they're just having fun playing exhibition games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users