341 replies to this topic

#141 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

We need to play well tonight, regardless of the outcome. The games we really need to win are the next three against TB, CAR, NYI
Then hopefully the final 2 against DET & OTT will hopefully be meaningless

#142 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,551 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

We need to play well tonight, regardless of the outcome. The games we really need to win are the next three against TB, CAR, NYI
Then hopefully the final 2 against DET & OTT will hopefully be meaningless

The big goal for now should be to render that Ottawa game meaningless. Winning tonight would help a hell of a lot.

Of course, no guarantees that Ottawa keeps winning. It's easy to assume that they're just going to win out the season, but like the Devils, they too have their flaws.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#143 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

The Devils and Ottawa face off in the last game of the year. So even if the Devils are up 2 points going into the game, it can be a winner-take-all game if decided in regulation.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#144 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

The Devils and Ottawa face off in the last game of the year. So even if the Devils are up 2 points going into the game, it can be a winner-take-all game if decided in regulation.

As much as I would prefer to be locked into 6 before the last game, I have to admit that would be a lot better than that joke Devils-Sabres game two years ago where neither team wound up happy about their position. Or Devils-Rangers where getting home ice only meant they got to finish us off here. Both teams would definitely try, and have a reason to win this last game.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#145 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,551 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

That's why I hope they can make that one meaningless...if they lose tonight, they'll still have 6th seed destiny in their own hands (both teams win out before the final game, Devils are still up by two) but I really don't want it coming down to that final game.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#146 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Care to wager on that? I'll bet at even money.

Win tomorrow and the Devils are up 4 points with 5 games left to play - not impossible to blow that lead, but it's not easy, either.

I'll take that bet, Tri. I just see it boiling down to the finale vs. Ottawa. And Ottawa will have the tiebreaker.

#147 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,551 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Wow, Ottawa doesn't play again until Saturday. If the Devils come up with two more points on Thursday, at least that puts some pressure on Ottawa, if they have their eyes on sixth.

#30 FOREVER!

#148 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,790 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Okay, great night for the Devils.

Team PTS GR
5. Flyers 96 6
6. Devils 92 5
7. Sens 88 5

Senators are now 4 back with 5 remaining. I made a little chart that just shows what would have to happen to make the final game meaningful to the Senators:

Posted Image

There are obviously scenarios where the Senators can make the game meaningless for the Devils, but it involves the Devils getting 6 fewer points than the Sens in the next 4 games.

The race for 2nd:

2. Bruins 93 6
3. Pnthrs 89 6

Bruins have the tiebreaker, so again, it would take the Panthers getting 5 more points than the Bruins in the final 6. That's going to be difficult for them. Panthers also have a 5 point lead on the Capitals.

Edited by Triumph, 27 March 2012 - 09:53 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#149 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

the way this team has been playing lately getting the Florida in the first round would be a gift. nothing against Florida but I do not see us beating any other team to be honest.

#150 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

If Marty gets hot we can beat anyone...

If we escape Round 1 things will be very interesting...

Hopefully we start scoring more than 1 goal/game...No shootouts in the postseason boys!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#151 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

If Marty gets hot we can beat anyone...

If we escape Round 1 things will be very interesting...

Hopefully we start scoring more than 1 goal/game...No shootouts in the postseason boys!

Not the way we've been scoring. Marty has been playing spectacular and doing everything he can do but scoring 1-2 goals a game won't cut it. Maybe, just maybe against Florida. Who knows.

#152 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

the way this team has been playing lately getting the Florida in the first round would be a gift. nothing against Florida but I do not see us beating any other team to be honest.

I don't really see us beating Florida at this point either.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#153 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,551 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

I don't really see us beating Florida at this point either.

Too early to say that. I still give them a pretty good chance to beat the Panthers.

#30 FOREVER!

#154 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,408 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Too early to say that. I still give them a pretty good chance to beat the Panthers.

The thing that scares me about Florida is Clemmensen. He plays great against us, and I think they would start him over Theodore if they play us. I'm sure he'd be pretty motivated to beat us too, and given how this team has trouble scoring for stretches at a time, the Clemmer factor is just food for thought.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#155 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,551 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

The thing that scares me about Florida is Clemmensen. He plays great against us, and I think they would start him over Theodore if they play us. I'm sure he'd be pretty motivated to beat us too, and given how this team has trouble scoring for stretches at a time, the Clemmer factor is just food for thought.

Here's how I see everything unfolding...this is more of my gut than anything else:

Devils surprise us all by playing Florida pretty well...averaging over 3 GPG...there will be a couple of frustrating moments, but we'll be surprised at how well they played in that series overall. Devils win the series in five or six games. Either Kovy or Parise will have a big series.

More than a few fans will be convinced that the Devils are on their way to something special.

Round 2 will be brutal...Devils will be ousted by their second-round opponent in no less than six games, probably five. They'll get blown out in Game 1, which will effectively kill whatever euphoria we had leading up to that point.

#30 FOREVER!

#156 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,062 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

I think (hope) the Devils could take Panthers in a 7-game series.

They have one line. ONE LINE. I don't care if the Devils employ a pre-lockout style line matching scenario, a team that can't shut down a single line in a playoffs series doesn't deserve to go deep.

That being said..I'd hope this team could figure out how to shut down a line in the playoffs.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 28 March 2012 - 03:44 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#157 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

Here's how I see everything unfolding...this is more of my gut than anything else:

Devils surprise us all by playing Florida pretty well...averaging over 3 GPG...there will be a couple of frustrating moments, but we'll be surprised at how well they played in that series overall. Devils win the series in five or six games. Either Kovy or Parise will have a big series.

More than a few fans will be convinced that the Devils are on their way to something special.

Round 2 will be brutal...Devils will be ousted by their second-round opponent in no less than six games, probably five. They'll get blown out in Game 1, which will effectively kill whatever euphoria we had leading up to that point.

Way to bring back memories of the 06 playoffs.

#158 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,551 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

Way to bring back memories of the 06 playoffs.

I was thinking more '07 actually:

Tense series at times against Tampa before winning in 6.
Rough one against Ottawa.

#30 FOREVER!

#159 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,408 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Sounds just like 2006. I could see that happening easily, and if they beat Florida, that's likely what would happen.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#160 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,551 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Sounds just like 2006. I could see that happening easily, and if they beat Florida, that's likely what would happen.

Don't think it will be '06 because I don't think they'll be nearly as dominant against Florida as they were against the Rangers.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users