22 replies to this topic

#21 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,111 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Yep, I've been beating this drum for a while. Say what you want about McMullen- he certainly wasn't a perfect owner. But he is the reason we have the franchise we all love. There would be no Devils if it wasn't for Dr. McMullen. I had hoped they would change the name of Championship Plaza to McMullen Plaza. I think it would be a very nice tribute.

lol let's name a plaza that if McMullen was still owner would have never ever even considered building after him.

#22 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

Granted, McMullen wasn't at all creative when it came to marketing the team. And yes, the TV deal sucked. But one has to keep in mind the times. Hockey still wasn't a very popular sport in the Eighties/early Nineties. And cable TV wasn't flooded with different sports channels like it is today. I don't know what kind of TV contract he could've been expected to attain for the Devils elsewhere, aside from SportsChannel. Even the four-time Stanley Cup champion Islanders were stuck on SportsChannel. And as late as the late Seventies, the world-famous Rangers themselves weren't broadcast regularly on TV save for the occasional games on WOR-TV, Channel 9.

As has been generally acknowledged in this thread, McMullen's greatest creation was the team itself, the name, the logo, and hiring Lou.

One could speculate that maybe someone else would've come along and brought a team to New Jersey. But that would be just a guess.

The man who actually did it was McMullen. For that, doesn't he at least deserve a plaque or something?

Edited by 95Crash, 13 March 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#23 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Also, McMullen tried to buy the BB arena at some point, but the authority wouldn't sell it to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users