117 replies to this topic

#61 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

The Devils' biggest problem is that too many New Jersey hockey fans don't root for the New Jersey hockey team. And part of that problem is the fact that a lot of New Jerseyans don't identify with New Jersey as much as they do with New York or Philly, depending on which city they're living in a suburb of. Could marketing help with that? Maybe. But most of it seems to stem from "My Dad was a Rangers fan, so I am too." Commercials probably wouldn't lessen a boy's desire to bond with his father over a sports team.

The only solution is simple: Kick Rangers fans in the nuts until they are incapable of fathering Rangers fan children.

I dunno. I always identified with NY as a kid, and I moved there when I got out of college, and my dad's a Rags fan (though not a huge hockey guy, if we were talking Nets Knicks it would be a different story) but I became a Devils fan because I hated the '94 Rags, and one kid in my class was a huge Devils fan and turned me onto them. If I don't meet him, and later get attached to guys like Elias, Marty and Dog (because I had some years where I barely watched hockey, but rooted for both local teams), I don't become a Devils fan. That was dumb luck. Marketing can take the place of some dumb luck. Am I the exception? Probably. 9 out of 10 fans who hear about the Devils probably don't make the shift, but if a couple thousand get exposed to the Devils instead of a couple hundred, that makes a difference.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#62 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

This is a great point. Besides Boomer trying to talk about the Rangers (only when they win) over Carton shouting about how "nobody cares about hockey," and the intolerable Steve Sommers at night (if you can actually listen to this guy, he is terrible), there is no mention of hockey on the radio, let alone Devils hockey. Devils scores are often a throw away at the end of sports segments on the local news (after what Carmelo ate for lunch, how big CC's dump was after breakfast this morning, and what ridiculous comment came out of Rex's mouth today). This team gets no pub., and is disrespected in its own home market.

Yup. Its sad we get disrespected in our own home market. We are treated as if we are not a home team. In my opinion the media tells people what is interesting and likeable and that translates to hockey not being popular around here. How do non-basketball fans know who Jeremy Lin is when the Kincks have been totally irrelevant (and still are) today? How else do you explain top 40 music of today? Every song on pop radio is popular because people listen to what is given to them.

Edited by devlman, 14 March 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#63 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

How though? I really don't think the Isles fans will suddenly convert to Devils fans.

Honestly if they move I think we will barely feel it.

Well no self respecting Isles fan would go over to the Rangers with how bitter that rivalry is.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#64 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

How though? I really don't think the Isles fans will suddenly convert to Devils fans.

Honestly if they move I think we will barely feel it.

It'll be slow, probably 10 years, but a bunch of Isles fans already root for Devils against Pens, Flyers, and especially Rags. They'll never root Rags, and it's tough to root for a team that abandoned you and plays far away. Look how many Dodgers fans starting rooting Mets after a couple years. We become the only team to root for. If Isles fans have kids and want to take them to games, they go to the Rock. The kids grow up reals Devils fans. Hockey will always be a sport for die hards, and the only way to pick up a lot of die hards is for them to lose their team.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#65 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Well no self respecting Isles fan would go over to the Rangers with how bitter that rivalry is.

Doesn't mean they will automatically go to the Devils. If the Devils left town, would you start cheering for the Isles?

#66 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

It'll be slow, probably 10 years, but a bunch of Isles fans already root for Devils against Pens, Flyers, and especially Rags. They'll never root Rags, and it's tough to root for a team that abandoned you and plays far away. Look how many Dodgers fans starting rooting Mets after a couple years. We become the only team to root for. If Isles fans have kids and want to take them to games, they go to the Rock. The kids grow up reals Devils fans. Hockey will always be a sport for die hards, and the only way to pick up a lot of die hards is for them to lose their team.

I'd love to see what the actual breakdown would be among Islander fans...how many of them would root for another team, and how many would turn their backs on the NHL for good. I remember being torn as to what I would do in '95, when it seemed like the Devils going to Nashville was a very real possibility. I don't think I could've kept rooting for them in Nashville, and I definitely wouldn't have become a Ranger, Islander, or Flyer fan...I think I would've remained a fan of NHL hockey, but with no team to root for. And I'm as die-hard as it gets. Thank God the Devils never left...
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#67 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

I'd love to see what the actual breakdown would be among Islander fans...how many of them would root for another team, and how many would turn their backs on the NHL for good. I remember being torn as to what I would do in '95, when it seemed like the Devils going to Nashville was a very real possibility. I don't think I could've kept rooting for them in Nashville, and I definitely wouldn't have become a Ranger, Islander, or Flyer fan...I think I would've remained a fan of NHL hockey, but with no team to root for. And I'm as die-hard as it gets. Thank God the Devils never left...

I have a friend who was an absolute die hard Hartford Whalers fan. He always loved hockey and lives in Connecticut. It took him 15 years to finally swallow his pride and become a Bruins fan. (And yes, I can confirm he was a fan BEFORE the cup!)
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#68 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

I have a friend who was an absolute die hard Hartford Whalers fan. He always loved hockey and lives in Connecticut. It took him 15 years to finally swallow his pride and become a Bruins fan. (And yes, I can confirm he was a fan BEFORE the cup!)

This is probably closest to how I would recover...it would take a looooooooong time (probably about as long as it took your friend), but I would probably root for another team eventually. I have no idea which one, though I can definitely eliminate the Rangers.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#69 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

If the Devils left town, would you start cheering for the Isles?

Probably. They're the only local team I don't hate with every ounce of my being.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#70 TomsRiverDevil

TomsRiverDevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Thank God the Devils never left...

that's a funny sentence out of context

#71 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

I apologize in advance for this post, everyone. Scan right past it if you like. If DM and msweet want to delete it, that's fine, but good luck with that.

Might want to fix that to Canada there

You are the one who said that Martin Brodeur and Jason Kidd were from the same country. That's what I was pointing out. But you didn't even realize that you said that.

Shall we go over your recollection of how you became a fan in 1996? When I brought it up you said that you were a fan earlier but then other posters even chimned in saying that you did indeed post that on here. You then tried to pass it off and ask us do we trust what you wrote here in plain english or what you remember doing.

Since even you said we cannot trust what you write here, then I guess all your posts are nonsense.

Yes, we shall. I became a fan of the Devils in 1994. But, I knew nothing about hockey really, I'd been to a few games with group organizations but was not really a hockey fan. My brother was a bigger hockey fan. The Devils-Rangers series caught my attention. I remember my brother and I watching the beginning of Game 6 through the fuzz - we didn't get SportsChannel and that's the channel Game 6 was on. I can recall being in my bed listening to Mike Miller describing Messier scoring into the empty net in Game 6.

I couldn't watch the final 16 seconds of Game 7 - I closed my eyes and ears. I couldn't believe it when Zelepukin scored, I raced upstairs to celebrate with my dad and brother. My hopes were dashed when Matteau scored a period and a half later.

In 1995, I attended the home opener. The Devils and the Sabres played, I believe the result was a tie; unfortunately the Internet can confirm this, so I might be lying. I believe David Emma and Ben Hankinson played for the Devils that night; unfortunately, the Internet could probably confirm that too. I put part of my allowance towards getting SportsChannel. We were all set to get it and I was excited to see the Devils on TV, but my brother neglected to call the cable company that day, and so I missed a Monday night game against Montreal - I was furious. Furious enough to remember these details nearly 17 years later.

We can go on and on like this. I remember reading that Stephane Richer was among the goal leaders at points in the season. I can describe watching Randy McKay score the OT winner against Boston. I missed Game 1 against Pittsburgh to go to a friend's house - I can remember missing that, but having to keep myself apprised of the game on the radio. Shawn Chambers being flattened by Eric Lindros on the first shift against the Flyers. I had to miss most of Game 2 for my oldest brother's high school graduation (since the lockout had moved the Cup Finals so late into the season), but we were at a restaurant afterwards and I got to see the famous Niedermayer goal. And I can remember the Devils winning the Stanley Cup, and I thought it was funny to sip Mountain Dew out of a champagne flute. I attended the celebration that year - my mom took my brother and I. McMullen got booed, and the camera quickly cut away from him as he slumped down in the seat of his convertible. I remember Terreri holding the Nashvile: No Way sign, but I couldn't see much. Some woman in a Niedermayer jersey danced on top of a grandstand and people told her to take her top off.

Now I've just wasted 10 minutes of my time, and hopefully 10 minutes of your time, since you're probably a slow reader (or more likely, you're a bad reader and that's why you have such poor reading comprehension). I did break one promise - I told myself I wouldn't respond to you

Edited by DevilMinder, 14 March 2012 - 06:32 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#72 TomsRiverDevil

TomsRiverDevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Even if bandwagon fans sign up during the playoffs, a percentage of them stay long term.

#73 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Getting back to the subject at hand, I think if the Devils hadn't won so much, they'd definitely be in another city by now. I think sundstrom's LA comparison is apt - there just aren't many cities that can even support 2 teams in any sport, and the media doesn't have the time or ink to devote to multiple teams in sports that aren't popular to begin with.

That's why the NHL getting out in front of new media is so important - the decision to not restrict posting things on youtube was a great move for them.

Edited by Triumph, 14 March 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#74 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'm certain that if the Rangers, had the reputation of being a "defensive-minded, boring, 'trap' team"" that had even close to the success that the Devils have had in the win department, they'd have an even bigger following than they do now, and would be talked about a lot more than they already are.

rags fan says whatPosted Image

Edited by lazer, 14 March 2012 - 03:54 PM.

Posted Image

#75 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

I apologize in advance for this post, everyone. Scan right past it if you like. If DM and msweet want to delete it, that's fine, but good luck with that.

You are the one who said that Martin Brodeur and Jason Kidd were from the same country. That's what I was pointing out. But you didn't even realize that you said that.

Yes, we shall. I became a fan of the Devils in 1994. But, I knew nothing about hockey really, I'd been to a few games with group organizations but was not really a hockey fan. My brother was a bigger hockey fan. The Devils-Rangers series caught my attention. I remember my brother and I watching the beginning of Game 6 through the fuzz - we didn't get SportsChannel and that's the channel Game 6 was on. I can recall being in my bed listening to Mike Miller describing Messier scoring into the empty net in Game 6.

I couldn't watch the final 16 seconds of Game 7 - I closed my eyes and ears. I couldn't believe it when Zelepukin scored, I raced upstairs to celebrate with my dad and brother. My hopes were dashed when Matteau scored a period and a half later.

In 1995, I attended the home opener. The Devils and the Sabres played, I believe the result was a tie; unfortunately the Internet can confirm this, so I might be lying. I believe David Emma and Ben Hankinson played for the Devils that night; unfortunately, the Internet could probably confirm that too. I put part of my allowance towards getting SportsChannel. We were all set to get it and I was excited to see the Devils on TV, but my brother neglected to call the cable company that day, and so I missed a Monday night game against Montreal - I was furious. Furious enough to remember these details nearly 17 years later.

We can go on and on like this. I remember reading that Stephane Richer was among the goal leaders at points in the season. I can describe watching Randy McKay score the OT winner against Boston. I missed Game 1 against Pittsburgh to go to a friend's house - I can remember missing that, but having to keep myself apprised of the game on the radio. Shawn Chambers being flattened by Eric Lindros on the first shift against the Flyers. I had to miss most of Game 2 for my oldest brother's high school graduation (since the lockout had moved the Cup Finals so late into the season), but we were at a restaurant afterwards and I got to see the famous Niedermayer goal. And I can remember the Devils winning the Stanley Cup, and I thought it was funny to sip Mountain Dew out of a champagne flute. I attended the celebration that year - my mom took my brother and I. McMullen got booed, and the camera quickly cut away from him as he slumped down in the seat of his convertible. I remember Terreri holding the Nashvile: No Way sign, but I couldn't see much. Some woman in a Niedermayer jersey danced on top of a grandstand and people told her to take her top off.

Now I've just wasted 10 minutes of my time, and hopefully 10 minutes of your time, since you're probably a slow reader (or more likely, you're a bad reader and that's why you have such poor reading comprehension). I did break one promise - I told myself I wouldn't respond to you

What you have posted is pretty much everything that can be found and looked up pretty easily.

You posted on here in a thread (and even CR1976 pointed it out on that thread) that you did not become a fan until the 1996 season. When brought that fact up by me, him, as well as others, you backtracked and said that what you wrote here doesn't matter as you remember being at the celebrations in 1995 and crap and that what you remember trumps what you write on here. Since I do not know you in person, I can only go by what you write here and from what I see you contradict yourself and cannot keep your own BS straight.

If I have poor reading comprehension with your posts, it is only because of your contradictory, BS postings where you have a condescending attitude towards anyone who disgrees with you.

Again you said it best before, if you can't even trust what you wrote on this board before, then neither can anyone else.

#76 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

What you have posted is pretty much everything that can be found and looked up pretty easily.

You posted on here in a thread (and even CR1976 pointed it out on that thread) that you did not become a fan until the 1996 season. When brought that fact up by me, him, as well as others, you backtracked and said that what you wrote here doesn't matter as you remember being at the celebrations in 1995 and crap and that what you remember trumps what you write on here. Since I do not know you in person, I can only go by what you write here and from what I see you contradict yourself and cannot keep your own BS straight.

If I have poor reading comprehension with your posts, it is only because of your contradictory, BS postings where you have a condescending attitude towards anyone who disgrees with you.

Again you said it best before, if you can't even trust what you wrote on this board before, then neither can anyone else.

You just love trolling, there's absolutely no other explanation. You cannot possibly be as stupid as you are sounding here, and it's unfortunate that no one else cares about this besides you and maybe people who like to troll me.

Edited by DevilMinder, 14 March 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#77 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

You just love trolling, there's absolutely no other explanation. You cannot possibly be as stupid as you are sounding here, and it's unfortunate that no one else cares about this because I know that no one's going to back me up.

tri - why do you need anyone to back you up? your standing on this board, regardless of whether people agree or disagree with your positions, should not be in doubt. you don't need anyone to get involved in this.

my advice is to not feed the animals. you've let the terrorists win.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#78 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

You just love trolling, there's absolutely no other explanation. You cannot possibly be as stupid as you are sounding here, and it's unfortunate that no one else cares about this besides you and maybe people who like to troll me.

hahahaha what a joke! I responded to PK and like you have done on every other post where I respond to PK outside the Beer thread you write back to me with this condescending garbage. If anything, you troll me every time I respond to her in this forum.

Again, I really do not take any of your posts seriously anymore, especially since you even admitted that you cannot trust your own words here and instead must trust your memory over words on here.

Also, here is some fun reading too:

That's much different. We're not talking about whether I said I thought Sasha Lakovic was the best Devil of all time, or whether I said I disliked old fans. I've written a lot of posts, as you love to point out, and I can't possibly be expected to remember them all. We are talking about things I experienced. You are trying to tell me that the things I write on here and your memories of those things are more important than the literal memories of things that I have, which I'm telling you right now. That's a completely batsh!t position to take on things. 76 remembers it too, so I must've written whatever I wrote very poorly.

DevsMan, you are completely mistaken. Learn how to use the search function, find the post, or stop telling me what my life is.

I'm glad you guys care, though.

I did learn to use the search feature thank you very much:)

Edited by DevsMan84, 14 March 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#79 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

I don't want this to happen, because their fans deserve better, but the Isles going to Quebec, Kc, Seattle would be the best thing that could happen to us from a financial perspective.

If this happens it will have a very little impact with the Devils.

If the Devils win the up this season the team will raise the ticket prices out of sight and there won't be a gain of fans.

#80 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

hahahaha what a joke! I responded to PK and like you have done on every other post where I respond to PK outside the Beer thread you write back to me with this condescending garbage. If anything, you troll me every time I respond to her in this forum.

Again, I really do not take any of your posts seriously anymore, especially since you even admitted that you cannot trust your own words here and instead must trust your memory over words on here.

I kinda like that pk is inadvertently in the middle of this.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users