168 replies to this topic

#141 mackchi

mackchi

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

How about being ticked at a team that no showed for 55 minutes instead of being mad the Pens didn't get screwed the way we did? At least 15 or 16 of the other 18 skaters should be doing Herbies after that lovely performance.

I know you can't win them all, and the Devils will make the playoffs and the sky isn't falling but...I was there and the place was humming. Ready to celebrate...something. These matinees seem to be bad for the Devils. Also it was a great sell out crowd. I just wish the players could have gotten some energy from the fans. A wasted opportunity to create a buzz about themselves.. Everytime Kovy touched the puck there was a palpable rise in the noise level. If something had happened the roof would have blown off!!

Oh well, two things you can never get back...the spoken word and the missed opportunity. :argh:
LET'S GO DEVILS!

#142 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

One thing that is frustrating as hell is watching the top three lines cycle very well and try to thread a perfect pass instead of putting it on net when they get a chance.

Parise - and the team itself - needs to start scoring more Parise-like goals. Drive everything to the net and bang home rebounds.

#143 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Yeah, I was hoping for .500 until Zajac returned too...what's been great is that the Devils were able to build off their .500 (12-12-1) start without getting much of anything from Zajac, thanks largely to Henrique putting up Zajac-like numbers for a while, before tailing off.

There's been positives and negatives this season for sure...unfortunately, because of Brodeur's age and Zach's UFA status, I think some fans are starting to view this as a "Cup-or-bust" season, which I think is unfair...a LOT would have break right for the Devils to get to the Conference Final, let alone the Cup Final!

I don't know about Cup or bust but I do think it's imperative this team wins 'at least' a round this year, mainly cause of the Zach thing but also because this building doesn't exactly have great history with pro-Devil sellout crowds. If I thought they were both definitely leaving though, then yeah that puts even more urgency on this season.

Not to mention if we do have to give up a first-rounder this year, you want it to be as high as possible :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978, 17 March 2012 - 11:04 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#144 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

Lines once Zajac returns

Parise Elias Zubrus

Kovalchuk Zajac Henrique

Poni Josefson Clarkson

Sykora Carter Bernier

#145 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Lines once Zajac returns

Parise Elias Zubrus

Kovalchuk Zajac Henrique

Poni Josefson Clarkson

Sykora Carter Bernier

Hooray for Sykora on the 4th line! He had one of the worst games I ever saw today, he was lucky that rebound popped out to him and was on the ice for the Greene goal (coming out of the penalty box) that's why plus/minus is a bad indicator. He is good stationary with that bomb of a shot he has but is terrible when he skates. I find it hard to watch.

Edited by Zubie#8, 17 March 2012 - 11:16 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#146 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

I don't know about Cup or bust but I do think it's imperative this team wins 'at least' a round this year, mainly cause of the Zach thing but also because this building doesn't exactly have great history with pro-Devil sellout crowds. If I thought they were both definitely leaving though, then yeah that puts even more urgency on this season.

Not to mention if we do have to give up a first-rounder this year, you want it to be as high as possible :lol:

I think it is very important that this team win a round, but if they draw the Flyers, Rangers, Penguins or Bruins, I think they have a tough time getting to the second round, even with the Bruins and Rangers not playing as well now as they were earlier. Just don't have a good feeling about those matchups, regardless of the season records.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#147 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hooray for Sykora on the 4th line! He had one of the worst games I ever saw today, he was lucky that rebound popped out to him and was on the ice for the Greene goal (coming out of the penalty box) that's why plus/minus is a bad indicator. He is good stationary with that bomb of a shot he has but is terrible when he skates. I find it hard to watch.

I don't mind him at all, in fact, he is a steal for what he brings. Unfortunately, for him he doesn't fit on any of the other lines so he is relegated to 4th line duty.

#148 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

This actually may be true. We always assume that teams are trying to get as high as possible, but there might really be a concerted effort to get 6th place. We all know how Pittsburgh would tank seasons to get 1st overall pick, so I don't see why other teams wouldn't try to position themselves in certain slots for the playoffs. For the past few years (except last, obviously) we've worked hard to get as high up in the standings as we could, only to draw a terrible 1st round opponent like Philly or NYR which we could have avoided if we swallowed our pride a little and took a lower spot in the standings. I can't see Lou allowing it to happen consciously, but with how back and forth this team is, it wouldn't surprise me if the players have it on their mind to stay in 6th.

Don't forget that we beat Pittsburgh pretty convincingly three times this season. They are surging now, but it doesn't explain how badly they beat us today.

The problem with the "Playing for 6th place" theory is at this point, there is nothing even close to a scenario where the Devils would have any idea who they likely would be playing as the "preferred" 3rd seed. The Rangers or the Pens will likely finish with the most points and whoever doesn't win that derby will most pretty much be assured of the 4th seed. Florida or Washington could easily win their division - the loser of that division could easily wind up as the 7th or 8th seed. Boston and Ottawa are battling it out for the division crown and those teams are probably looking at anywhere from a 2nd/3rd seed or a 6th or 7th seed. Given the recent struggles by the Bruins and it's apparent that the Southeast Division winner could also finish as high as the 2nd seed. In short, there are still too many plausible possibilities for seeding 1-8 that render the "shooting for the 6th seed" approach moot ... at least at this point in the season.

#149 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Looks like this team is gunning for the sixth spot.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#150 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

I don't mind him at all, in fact, he is a steal for what he brings. Unfortunately, for him he doesn't fit on any of the other lines so he is relegated to 4th line duty.

Oh definitely at that cap hit, but I noticed him getting worse and worse in the neutral zone these past few weeks and it drives me crazy, and it's very dangerous because the Elias line usually plays against the opponents top line. He handed the puck on a silver platter to the Penguins many times today, that's why he was thrown on the 4th line for a few shifts.

As for the lines, if DeBo does choose to switch the lines up I hope it will be these. It's okay to tinker with the lines to see what options we have going into the playoffs.

Parise Henrique Zubrus
Ponikarovsky Elias Kovalchuk
Sykora Josefson Clarkson
Scrubs

Its different but worth a try. I want to see what Poni can bring playing with the first or second line.

Edited by Zubie#8, 17 March 2012 - 11:42 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#151 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

I saw we only got 12 SOG against Fleury. 12 SOG and 2 goals against. 39 SOG and 5 against Marty. Guaranteed: The SOG for us would have been closer to 39 this would have been a closer game.

What sucks is that this reminds me of 08-09. Crosby is out for a good amount of the regular season. Malkin picks up the slack. Crosby does next to nil in the playoffs and they win the cup and Crosby's stock goes up.
If I were Malkin I'd ask to go somewhere else, preferably New Jersey.

I saw we only got 12 SOG against Fleury. 12 SOG and 2 goals against. 39 SOG and 5 against Marty. Guaranteed: The SOG for us would have been closer to 39 this would have been a closer game.

What sucks is that this reminds me of 08-09. Crosby is out for a good amount of the regular season. Malkin picks up the slack. Crosby does next to nil in the playoffs and they win the cup and Crosby's stock goes up.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#152 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

:blink: My goodness

believe-zubrus.jpg

#153 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hey if we're stocking up on Eastern Europeans why the hell not? Although a first line of Parise-Malkin-Kovalchuk might be TOO much skill lol.

#154 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

That was a rough one yesterday. It's too bad too because the arena was packed and the crowd was buzzing. However, I had a feeling the Pens were going to come of the gate hard from the start because of the Devs' 3-1 record against them beforehand. And DeBoer made a comment the day before about this game not being any more important than the upcoming games versus NYR and the Senators -- which technically was true, but still, did not bode well for yesterday's game. My big concern right now is this team is not scoring goals lately. That's going to be a big problem if they don't get it figured out soon

CR76, how'd your little one enjoy the game? Was it her first one?

#155 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Anyone have access to the vintage graphics they displayed on the tvs??

#156 Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Yeaa was wondering in the begining of the season when he was going to fizzle out...
#157 NJ4life

NJ4life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Those of you generals on here need to make a complaint on behalf of all devils fans. Currently on the DEVILS website there is a link for a " retro photo gallery " of 130 pictures. Its not a retro gallery, its a Sydney Crosby gallery. the last 50 f'n photes are solo shots of Sid. It's the most embarrassing thing ive ever seen. It the DEVILS website, how can any devils employee post all that?? Whoever it is should be fired immediately. I seriously hope someone who knows someone reports this crap!

#158 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

One thing that is frustrating as hell is watching the top three lines cycle very well and try to thread a perfect pass instead of putting it on net when they get a chance.

Parise - and the team itself - needs to start scoring more Parise-like goals. Drive everything to the net and bang home rebounds.

This is one reason we only have 15 shots on goal per game, and it's been driving me nuts. Three guys behind the goal area bumping into each other trying to cycle and pass to each other, then finally bank the puck up to a useless shot from the point by one of our D-men.
The Pens always have one forward driving straight to the front of the net, looking for deflections or rebounds etc....and it works

Edited by hargsy, 18 March 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#159 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

Today was only an optional skate? Why?
I forgot getting 14 shots on goal means you actually played a game the day before, oh wait..no it doesn't.
This is what I mean about PDB. These players need to work on their game more than ever right now.
This is when it matters. Work your ass off or go the fvck home.
Everyone knows the Rangers are probably going to play one of their best games of the year against us tomorrow.
They're pissed off, hate us, and want to stay in first place.
Hopefully the Devils go in there with a game plan of shooting more than 15 times on net or else don't even bother suiting up for the game.
I guess let the tough March schedule begin.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3, 18 March 2012 - 12:06 PM.

Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#160 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Fatigue is prolly a factor...DB has a better handle of how worn the team is better than us
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users